CSP 4C 10-8 on DTRS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

epbernstein

I don't know whether this is old news or not, but CSP is now using the DTRS on the west slope for Troop 4C. It seems like they are simulcasting on the VHF channels, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that yet.

It's warmer in Aspen than it is in Boulder, that's for sure! ;)

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
4C has been trying to switch to DTR since 2003, but they have to use VHF because the DTR system is inadequate for this area... According to folks involved, Gafield County is building three new DTR sites, but it's not clear to me whether these will be exclusively for the county's use, or if they will be added to the state system. In the last 6 months, I have been hearing 4B and 4A units on DTR as well, but it sounds like they too are having to keep the VHF radios to fill in dead spots.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
gcheno said:
4C has been trying to switch to DTR since 2003, but they have to use VHF because the DTR system is inadequate for this area... According to folks involved, Gafield County is building three new DTR sites, but it's not clear to me whether these will be exclusively for the county's use, or if they will be added to the state system. In the last 6 months, I have been hearing 4B and 4A units on DTR as well, but it sounds like they too are having to keep the VHF radios to fill in dead spots.

They will be part of the statewide DTRS and you are getting a few more, don't worry. The following are proposed.

Site 17 Anvil Points / Calhan (Garfield County)
Site 36 Monument (Garfield County)
Site 41 Aspen Mtn / Ajax (Pitkin County)

Jim<

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
Do you know of a more specific location for "Monument"? That description isn't familiar to me. All I can say is I hope the county agencies keep their VHF radios too... its going to take more sites than that to make DTR work here. (In my opinion, of course.)

epbernstein

gcheno said:

That's definitely the case. I'm about 5 miles west of Aspen, and about 800 feet higher, and I'm getting DTRS traffic from the Sunlight Mountain site. In Aspen itself, I don't pick up the control channel, and it's all VHF.

Last time I was here was Labor Day, and it was all VHF, so I consider this an improvement.

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
evergreenwaterman said:
Monument is north of Colorado Springs on I-25 about 10 to 15 miles.

Oops, different locations...

So its Monument Hill. I thought I knew all the names of comm sites in Garfield County.

Where are these "proposed" sites coming from? Is there a list somewhere that I haven't found? The only list I have seen is the map on the "State of Colorado" DTRS page on RR...

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
gcheno said:
So its Monument Hill. I thought I knew all the names of comm sites in Garfield County.

Where are these "proposed" sites coming from? Is there a list somewhere that I haven't found? The only list I have seen is the map on the "State of Colorado" DTRS page on RR...

No it's certainly not Monument Hill, if you noticed I posted Monument (Garfield County).

When they get built out this summer and go on the air, we will certainly know more.

Jim<

epbernstein

jimmnn said:
No it's certainly not Monument Hill, if you noticed I posted Monument (Garfield County).

When they get built out this summer and go on the air, we will certainly know more.

Jim<

That Ajax site will be really heplful.

rfburns

Monument Peak is up on the Hogback about 3 miles SE of the old Rio Blanco Store. Which I think it is a real estate office now. The coords. are 39 43.182 x 107 55.004. It's been a comm site for quite some time. Like Jim said it is nowhere near Monument Hill or the town of Monument.

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
Okay. I'm definitely aware of the site, just never heard it referred to as "Monument" before.

And, a question for rfburns: (Sorry for the off-topic, but your profile says you won't accept pm's) I read a thread you posted about the RFR fine for Cumulus in Grand Junction. Does this mean that you're available for tower work in GarCo?

Last edited:

ErikB

Feed Provider
CSP has gotten real quiet in Gunnison, the VHF freqs are hardly active. I suspect they might be switching the 5C troop over as well. Sucks because I don't have a digital scanner.

Yes, 5A & 5C seem to be up on DTRS now. I hear both from time to time when one of their units is affiliated with a site up here.

rfburns

gcheno said:
I read a thread you posted about the RFR fine for Cumulus in Grand Junction. Does this mean that you're available for tower work in GarCo?

No. I stay certified and keep my climbing gear up to date, but I really dislike climbing anymore. I climb when I have to, but no more volunteering. Speaking of towers in Garco, how about Lookout Pt by Glenwood (American I think). I don't like that tower.

gcheno

Premium Subscriber
rfburns said:
No. I stay certified and keep my climbing gear up to date, but I really dislike climbing anymore. I climb when I have to, but no more volunteering. Speaking of towers in Garco, how about Lookout Pt by Glenwood (American I think). I don't like that tower.

If you change your mind, let me know.

American Tower shows the most recent modification in the FCC database, but I think I heard about Garfield County doing some modifications to their site on Lookout as well. The problem is, Iron Mountain is mostly full (overfull if you look at the RFR guidelines), and Red Mountain isn't the most ideal for Glenwood, so you'll probably be seeing more and more on Lookout.

Back on topic, Jim, Lookout Mountain looks like a "future sight" on the map, but you didn't mention it in your earlier post. Do you know if that's still in the works, or abandoned altogether?

rfburns

If you mean the Lookout Mtn near Powder Wash it is still in the works and should be on the air in a couple of months. ITAC 5 is up and running there now.

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
i think he means Lookout in Glenwood Springs off I-70

Status
Not open for further replies.