CO DTRS, The 396XT, and FreeSCAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Once upon a time, I successfully programmed my 396XT for a road trip through Colorado (Las Animas, Huerfano, Pueblo, and El Paso Counties). Sadly, I accidentally deleted the file I created in FreeSCAN so when I was to do another trip through the same area, I had to recreate the file from scratch.

During my trip, however, I heard no activity. None at all, although the scanner indicated it was scanning, and the signal strength meter indicated that the control channels were being received, and the select few talk groups were programmed.

Since the scanner worked as expected while in New Mexico, I have to assume that the issue is a programming error, made by yours truly, and not the equipment. I also assume that I may have selected the wrong System Type as I can't remember which selection I made the last time. I selected Mot Type II / P25. Was that correct?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I haven't used FreeSCAN before, but I'm pretty sure you should be programming the System Type as a P25 Standard. Mot Type II / P25 is a Motorola Type II system which has an option to use P25 voice, but is not a true P25 system like the State of Colorado DTRS.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha. Thanks! If programming the darn thing manually were easier, I would have tried changing the System Type during the trip.

radio

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, my FreeScan files for my 396xt and 996xt are set for "P25 Standard (Digital XT). Those work just fine here.

The other"P25 One Freq Trunk (Digital XT)" choice, I have never tried that setting.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
I'm successfully using 'Mot P25/P25 Standard' here for all DTRS sites with Freescan and my 396XT. Still using version 2.17 of Freescan -- wasn't even aware of a 'P25 Standard (Digital XT)' setting.

Edit: Seems 2.17 IS current. Where did you turn up the 'P25 Standard (Digital XT)' setting?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.