Federal Protective Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mpg0515

Does anyone know what frequencies or system they use? http://www.ice.gov/graphics/fps/index.htm I talked with one of these guys and he had no idea of course, it was just a radio to him. In Fort Collins there are apparently 10 officers that do patrols just like any other officer except they are federal and funded by the Department of Homeland Security. They also provide security for the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in Fort Collins too. I have seen a couple of their marked Crown Vics and they have an 800 Mhz antenna on them, but what could they be using? I don't think that it is DTRS? They might be using Fort Collins Police TG's but I don't think that is the case.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I'll be willing to bet they're using either 800mhz or 400mhz trunked systems, and if they're like most other federal LE agencies (FBI, ATF, Secret Service), they're going to be encrypted.

M

mpg0515

firescannerbob said:
I'll be willing to bet they're using either 800mhz or 400mhz trunked systems, and if they're like most other federal LE agencies (FBI, ATF, Secret Service), they're going to be encrypted.

I thought that they might be using the 400mhz ferderal system that Buckley uses because it is not just strictly Buckley, but that wouldn't make much sense because there are not sites up here. Site-4, wherever that is booms in up here, but for inside building coverage etc. would not cut it.

rckydenver

One of the old scanner guides list the Freq. of 417.200 for the Denver area. This book was from 1990's..Not sure if they change Freqs or not.

M

mpg0515

scanlist said:
How about Sprint/Nextel.

Don't ask how I know this.

Phil.

Well they have radios installed in their vehicles so they do use something other than Nextel. The officer that I spoke with was carrying a Motorola, the only thing that I saw was the speaker mic though so couldn't tell you what model it was.

eyes00only

They used to be regular UHF (417.200 etc.), but changed a long time ago. Same thing with the Postal Inspectors. Actually the inspectors were a lot more interesting to monitor than the FPS.

Jerry

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
mpg0515 said:
Well they have radios installed in their vehicles so they do use something other than Nextel. The officer that I spoke with was carrying a Motorola, the only thing that I saw was the speaker mic though so couldn't tell you what model it was.

Gotta be able to talk to Fort Collins somehow. :)

Phil.

M

mpg0515

scanlist said:
Gotta be able to talk to Fort Collins somehow. :)

Phil.

That is what I was thinking too. Since the Federal Protective Service has to work so closely with CSU and the city (Fort Collins) I was kinda thinking that they may be on DTRS and use some wierd unit identifier on FC's TG's?

skipshark773

there are serveral federal buldings on CSU's campus too. to the best of my knowledge both fort collins and CSU do not have special identifiers for FPS officers. I'm pretty sure that they use their own system for communications. CSU PD does patrol the CDC property but I have never heard a FPS unit come up on the DTRS. Perhaps they use an old UHF frequency when they need to contact fort collins? CLEER is still sees active use and there are a couple of older UHF frequencies in place as backups that see little or no use.

First of all, I would feel a degree of threat if we could monitor this protection as easily as here. Second, I won't believe for a moment that the protective service would let common communications monitor their protection. It does not get simpler than that.

M

mpg0515

evergreenwaterman said:
First of all, I would feel a degree of threat if we could monitor this protection as easily as here. Second, I won't believe for a moment that the protective service would let common communications monitor their protection. It does not get simpler than that.

Their main priority is to protect federal buildings. Anything that they do is no secret. The officer that I talked with said he is just like any other law enforcement officer. They do traffic stops, investigations, make arrests etc. And again they drive marked vehicles, it is not like this is the NSA or something....

Does anyone think their service of protecting our federal buildings, even in marked vehicles, is compromised by easy monitoring of radio traffic. That could be as simple as a yes or no.

Last edited:
M

mpg0515

evergreenwaterman said:
Does anyone think their service of protecting our federal buildings, even in marked vehicles, is compromised by easy monitoring of radio traffic. That could be as simple as a yes or no.

no..................

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I have heard them on Apco-25 and UHf so they use a hodge podge of frequencies and radios.

Some I have here.

163.1750 s GSA HQ Transportation
168.5750 s GSA Region Building Maintenance
415.2000 r/s CH1 & CH3 FPS (Astro)
417.2000 r/s CH2 & CH4 FPS (Astro)
411.2750 r/s CH5 & CH6 FPS (Astro)

GENERAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION
GSA 413.8750
GSA - Federal Supply Service 164.2750
GSA - Law Enforcement F-1 input to 417.2 419.1750
GSA - Law Enforcement F-1 repeater 417.2000
GSA - Law Enforcement F-2 simplex 417.2000
GSA - Law Enforcement F-3 simplex 412.4000
GSA - Law Enforcement F-4 simplex 417.4250
GSA - Public Building Service input to 415.2 413.9500
GSA - Public Building Service repeater 415.2000

Next time you see your friend bring a freq. counter
icon6.gif

edftc

Fps

There local Office is in the PostOffice building,second floor, 301 S Howes St, Ft Collins.They have a Blue "slash" mark, diagonally on their police cars(like the Coast Guard). They also say,"Homeland Security"., on the cars.Next time someone goes to the Social Security Office in that building..................http://www.radioreference.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif
Cool

edftc

Fps

There cars are marked "Homeland Security", and have a similar "slash mark"-Blue-in the Coast Guard style.Their office is in the Federal building, 301 S Howes. Next time some one goes to the Social security Office.............

eyes00only

evergreenwaterman said:

A simple NO is my vote. See my above post. They do far less paperwork per day than a Denver officer.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.