Thornton Police Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool1035

Does anyone know what the frequencys are for the Thornton Police Department? I use a BaoFeng BF-F8+

cool1035

Radio

Does the Vertex Standard VX-354 have the ability to trunk and listen into the thornton police department?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Does the Vertex Standard VX-354 have the ability to trunk and listen into the thornton police department?

No. You will need a receiver that supports P25 digital voice and trunking.

cool1035

Are you sure? My school uses this radio and the school is on a P25 trunking system.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

I would suggest buying a scanner. Getting a real P25 radio to listen to a P25 system is pricey, is very difficult, and can get you into trouble.

What you need is something that support P25 Phase I at a minimum, although getting a P25 Phase II scanner might be a good idea if they were to switch the radio system to the newer digital mode. A full list of P25 scanners can be found below.

Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

Phase I Scanners:

An alternative if price is a large issue for you is to investigate RTL-SDR. It is a lot more involved, has some quirks, and can be difficult to get setup. There are plenty of posts at Software Defined Radio and Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software regarding this. RTL-SDR Tutorial: Following Trunked Radio with Unitrunker would be a good starting point. It will require 2 of these devices, a dedicated computer, and several different software. To reiterate, this is not meant to be an easy way of listening to Thornton Police. I would suggest getting a scanner if you want something portable or if you are looking for a way to easily listen to Thornton Police.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Status
Not open for further replies.