Help! Programming a BC296D to CO state system...etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone.

I just bought a Uniden BC296D digital scanner with the apco card installed and I am trying to program the thing. I am having some troubles as it is my first time working with one and I was curious to know if there are any files downloadable to my computer to copy straight into the scanner. Basiclly, I want the state DTRS system, Denver, Aurora, DIA, Adcom, and all of the other biggies. I do have the cable and software to program the scanner, but every time I make a frequency list, it comes up saying "communication error...please check ss remote setting" or something like that and I cannot figure out how to get it into programming mode. If someone can help me out with this it would be awesome and I really want to start enjoying my new toy! Thanks!

RISC777

The communication message is the PC and scanner aren't talking, that's one issue.

Programming the scanner is a second issue. Once you've got issue one taken care of, issue two may go away. Otherwise, you'll be spending some time programming it without the PC and software.

Focus on issue one first.

* What programming software?
* What Windows version?
* More detail on cable/connection (serial, USB-to-serial converter, settings in the scanner that pertain to the connecting/connection, etc.)
* Check out Yahoo to see if there's a dedicated Group for that model, that may be a quicker and more in depth source of help.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure how to make it communicate with the scanner.

As for the other things:

Software = Version 1.0 for BC296D
Windows = I have windows 2000, which the software supports
Cable = The cable connector screws into the back of the computer and then plugs into the scanner...its not a usb

Is there anywhere online to find a downloadable pdf file of the instruction manual?

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Try This!

ROOFLIFECO said:
I am not sure how to make it communicate with the scanner.
Definetly download the manual.

Not having the PC CONTROL turned on in the radio is usually the culprit.

So do this with the radio.

Press menu then 3 (System Option) then 5 (PC Control) then 6 (57600 bps).

Press the scan button to resume normal radio operation.

Set your uniden SSD software to the proper com port on your computer and make sure the software is set to communicate with the radio at 57600 bps.

Phil.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
Thank you soooo much Phil.

Now that you told me that I have been working on my scanner like Tiny Tim on a Christmas Ham lol

Status
Not open for further replies.