State System Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargeek

OK - I admit it I am FNG to programing Digital stuff so please point me in the correct direction.

I am using a Radio Shack Pro97 scanner - Have Win97 on the PC, and the USB to RIB scanner cable from Radio Shack, the frequencys printed off from the data base, ect.

How do you find out what antanna site a group is using? For examble Thornton Fire? Or a good link to follow to get this thing operational.

Thank you in advance for the assistance

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
How do you find out what antanna site a group is using? For examble Thornton Fire? Or a good link to follow to get this thing operational.

Thornton Fire will not affilate with any one specific control channel but you would have good luck using Lookout Mountain and Thorodin.

Just for example I usually monitor Metcom off Greenwood Village, Littleton, Smoky Hill and Castle Rock but on the last tone out they appeared on West Creek.

Welcome to the list.

Jim<

sargeek

Thanks

Thanks -
Actual Agency Radios communicate with the state system on the control channels and can will handoff from one tower to the next similar to a cell phone with the system determining the best reception. Are these preprogramed into the radio?

With the scanner - Will I need to program all the frequencies and the control channels into the scanner - and then the System Talk Groups? Correct?

mpdonala

Premium Subscriber
Help

Please excuse me if I am wrong. I belive that the Pro-97 will not track the state digital system only the Pro-96 or 2096. I belive that is what you are trying to track. If you are trying to track something else I am sorry to butt in.

sargeek

Ok

Beats the heck out of me. Its actually not my scanner but belongs my sister a FF and she wants me to program it. So I am jumping in both feet.

If I get it going - Then I will consider getting it operational. I have gotten pretty good at programing Kenwood Radio's so she thought I would be able to do it.

The instructions are horrible in the manual, so you tell me!

Thanks

High-powered handheld.
High-performance, extended-coverage scanner has the ability to scan both trunked and conventional channels at the same time. Program up to 100 frequencies in banks of 10 for easier access. Triple-trunking lets you follow a signal in virtually any market that uses an analog trunking system. Signal Stalker™ circuitry searches for nearby frequency transmissions and lets you hear a nearby radio without knowing its frequency. Skywarn lets you hear local severe-weather observers and get warnings before they are broadcast on local radio or TV.

Alpha-numeric display for ID tagging allows frequencies to be identified by the name you assign
Lighted keypad and backlit LCD display for use in low light
Digital weather alert keeps you informed of emergencies; 7 NOAA weather stations preprogrammed
Easy programming: download frequencies from computer to scanner (software and cable optional)

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
mpdonala said:
Please excuse me if I am wrong. I belive that the Pro-97 will not track the state digital system only the Pro-96 or 2096. I belive that is what you are trying to track. If you are trying to track something else I am sorry to butt in.

Certainly correct Mark did not even notice the radio he referred to.

No Thornton FD with that radio sorry to say.

Jim<

sargeek

Hmm

So I guess that is why it is so difficult.

Thanks for the help!

Any other scanner that can do it besides the Radio Shack Pro-96?

Last edited:

RISC777

:eek: Which Radio Shack's I don't know, I'm a Uniden user. They'll track the state (mobile - BCD396T, base - BCD796D, BCD996T ... those three I know will). Not much help, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.