WiFi Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
You might risk getting your laptop stolen but free access now available on the 16th street mall.

DENVER -- Looking for a free Wi-Fi hotspot in downtown Denver?
You don't need to look farther than the 16th Street Mall, thanks to the Downtown Denver Partnership.
The group helped put up the free hotspot which runs the length of the 16th Street Mall and includes nearby Skyline Park.
According to the partnership, the downtown Wi-Fi project is one of the first in the country to provide large-scale public Internet access at no charge.
"The growth in hotel occupancy and residential development is proof that people want to spend their time in Downtown Denver. You can now hold meetings, surf the web and complete schoolwork outdoors while taking advantage of other Downtown attractions," said Tamara Door, DDP president, in a prepared statement.
The project was coordinated with Kiva Networks and Verbena Design. Kiva Networks will maintain the new network.
To access the free network, connect your wireless device to "DowntownDenver Wifi." Visit www.downtowndenverwifi.com to view the home page for the Downtown Denver Wi-Fi zone.

funcritter

LOL That mall is the last place I would ever think of to bring a laptop! I know there are restaurants to go into there but still, that's not a very safe place to be with expensive items.

Thayne

I can always find a few on every block around--People are nuts not to set up any security on their wireless stuff.
There is one apartment house that I can get on any one of 6 unsecured wireless routers.

funcritter

Thayne said:
I can always find a few on every block around--People are nuts not to set up any security on their wireless stuff.
There is one apartment house that I can get on any one of 6 unsecured wireless routers.

When I first got a laptop two years ago, I went out to every apartment building in my area. All but one had a connection that I could just login two. On a few apartment buildings there were three or four connections but a few asked me for a password. It's unreal!!

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Well what about a Palm handheld? :roll:

It's not L.A :lol:

BTW~ Just connecting to someones wireless connection without permission is illegal. They encrypt the connection for a reason. No, it's not unreal. :roll: You find these networks because people throw up a router to the world and not secure it with at best a new password or at least turn its SIDD off. Doesn't matter to us haxxers though.

If you do connect to them I recommend you change your MAC: Don't ask me how. I'm not google.

Are you saying it's unreal becuse of thr lack in security? I may have this confused.

Last edited:

funcritter

poltergeisty said:
Well what about a Palm handheld? :roll:

It's not L.A :lol:

BTW~ Just connecting to someones wireless connection without permission is illegal. They encrypt the connection for a reason. No, it's not unreal. :roll: You find these networks because people throw up a router to the world and not secure it with at best a new password or at least turn its SIDD off. Doesn't matter to us haxxers though.

If you do connect to them I recommend you change your MAC: Don't ask me how. I'm not google.

Are you saying it's unreal becuse of thr lack in security? I may have this confused.

Yes because people have no idea what they are doing by leaving it unsecured. All kinds of illegal things can be done and it would all be blamed on the person whos wifi it is.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I thought that is what you might be referring to. Yup, a lot of unsecured networks out there. Its hard to believe that someone would check for spyware and viruses on their computer but not secure their wireless connection. Well, maybe these people don't even check for spyware or viruses. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.