School Walk Outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DPS School Security very active on the Public Works 800 system this am with the student protest walks and now DPD closing all lanes of Federal Blvd and a large group just left Manual HS SB on Downing from 24th.

Now estimating the crowds down town of about 1,000 students and KMGH chopper is headed back for fuel but will be live at 11am.

Jim<

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DENVER - Approximately 1,000 students from Denver Public Schools have marched on the State Capitol and are protesting for immigration reform.

Roads around the Capitol were closed for part of the morning, but students have been moved from the streets and roads are reopened.

Marchers jammed inbound lanes of Speer Boulevard, a major route to downtown, and temporarily blocked other intersections as they crossed, but no problems were reported, police spokeswoman Virginia Quinones said.

"We are not trying to hurt your country," said Jorge Macias, a high school sophomore who said he is a U.S. citizen. "It is big enough for everyone."

Other students carried Puerto Rican and Cuban flags. Many wore white; they were joined by some adults, many of them dressed in red.

The march was the latest in a string of rallies in Colorado and across the country amid the heated national debate on immigration. Many of the demonstrators have said they want more immigrant-friendly policies.

At the Capitol, 17-year-old Adella Lopez read a letter to the crowd asking Colorado Sens. Wayne Allard and Ken Salazar to oppose a House-passed measure that would make it a felony to be in the country illegally.

The letter said the bill's provisions "are bad policies and dead end for our community."

Gov. Bill Owens, who was not at the Capitol at the time of the rally, said he believes the students are sincere but found it "odd" that they only demonstrate on school days.

"I'd be much more impressed if I saw these students out marching on a Saturday," he said.

At least one previous rally was on a Saturday, when more than 50,000 gathered in downtown Denver on March 25, but that was not student-organized demonstration.

Arvizu Derr, 17, a junior at West High School who helped organize Wednesday's event, said students had spread the word with mobile-phone text messages, Internet posts and fliers.

About 40 state troopers were standing by at the Capitol but the rally was peaceful, Master Trooper Ron Watkins said.

Denver Public Schools spokesman Mark Stevens said he did not know how many students left classes districtwide but that one school reported more than 100.

He said principals and teachers had discouraged students from participating, and absences would be considered unexcused. Any discipline will be handled on a student-by-student basis, he said.

"Our point is you can only get through the curriculum and get through class if your present," he said.

Stevens said students from other districts also walked out for the rally.

Thayne

Maybe they will be too tired out by their stupid ditching school and marching so they won't have any energy left to raise so much H*%% on "Sucko De Mayo" day--

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
"We are not trying to hurt your country," said Jorge Macias

Then get the hell off of Speer BLVD. and Federal BLVD. Some of us have jobs and classes to attend. :lol:

Other students carried Puerto Rican and Cuban flags. Many wore white; they were joined by some adults, many of them dressed in red.

Now this is what gets me. What the hell does Puerto Rico and Cuba have to do with this? Why don't they protest with say, El Salvadorian or Peruvian flags as well?.

Gov. Bill Owens, who was not at the Capitol at the time of the rally, said he believes the students are sincere but found it "odd" that they only demonstrate on school days.

:lol: I think everyone wonders this same thing.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
walkout

you can also blame the media for these illiterates actions. if they would ignore them,it would just be another regular day of ditching school like they always do!

Todd-NG

poltergeisty said:
Now this is what gets me. What the hell does Puerto Rico and Cuba have to do with this? Why don't they protest with say, El Salvadorian or Peruvian flags as well?.

Keep in mind that this protest was about immigration reform which includes anyone from any nation. Although the majority of the illegal immigrants in this county right now are from Mexico there are others here from just about every country in the world too. Recently they had a news story on TV where they were interviewing a husband and wife who were illegal immigrants from Ireland. They had come over here to visit our country and when their visas ran out they decided to stay, so now they are here illegally.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Todd-NG said:
Recently they had a news story on TV where they were interviewing a husband and wife who were illegal immigrants from Ireland. They had come over here to visit our country and when their visas ran out they decided to stay, so now they are here illegally.

They should be put in a shipping crate and shipped back where they came from, like all the others.

Todd-NG

Grog said:
They should be put in a shipping crate and shipped back where they came from, like all the others.

I fully agree! By the way, my earlier post was in no way meant to defend the students involved with the protest. Its intentions were more to clarify that the protest over immigration reform involves more than just the illegals from Mexico.

Gov. Owens found it "odd" that they only demonstrate on school days. Well of course they are going to protest on school days, it's their way of justifying a ditch day using the excuse that they were "exercising their right to free speech." They don't want to protest on a weekend, that would cut into their time spent drinking at the park or cruising Federal Blvd.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
school walk out

keep in mind denver public schools probably has the highest rate of drop outs and no shows in the state. they don't give a hill of beans (oops) about immigration. then they wonder why everybody detests them so much. when my wife and i go to walmart there they are rattiling of in mexican (spanish are much higher class) as soon as i hear them on goes the pro 96 weather band LOUD. get rid of your d- - mexican flags if you want to be here so bad and learn the language and display the american flag you ingrates!

Thayne

The thing that none of these immigrants understand is that if this country goes the way(s) they represent, THEY will be the ones' responsible for Killing the goose that laid the golden egg." Where will they go next to screw everything up?

(Hows that for obtuse logic?) :)

BobWeb

Yes, seems to me like most people in this country who support unrestricted immigration haven't really thought much about where this leads in the future. There will be a point where there are more immigrants than jobs. Then we'll be in the same situation France is in right now. Huge unemployment rates, riots, and such; but I guess it comes down to pain now or pain later. My guess is that we'll chose pain later since that is more convenient. Our fault, for letting this happen in the first place. Of course, we can also choose to correct it now.

poltergeisty

Banned
You got to wonder why they would hold the flag of a corrupt government which is the reason why they come here. Well most reasons anyways. If they like this country and they are not trying to "hurt our country" then they should have U.S flags not the flag of another country. I have seen them with U.S flags but not all of them. If this really is subject on the matter of all immigration then hell, where are all the other people and their flags? Ireland, Russia, China, Japan , Philippines and the list goes on and on. BTW~ I know, and have known a person from each of the countrys mentioned . I think we all have.

To me holding the flag of another country in protest in this country is treason. However, I got to wonder how many of the protesters are here illegally minus the kids?

See I have nothing against immigration. In fact, I would not be here at all if there were no immigration. Of course this has to make sense to anyone with common sense. We are all here because of immigration. This is a melting pot as we all know. Because its the protest of allowing absolutely no security, having a free for all into this country and to take advantage of all the government without even becoming a U.S citizen has got me pissed, needless to say others as well.

They can talk about the jobs "we" won't take all they want. But let me tell you, when it comes down to putting food on the table and having a roof over ones head, no one cares what job is available. My god, have people lost their mind? My grandparents (German and Irish) had jobs deemed now to be jobs we would no take. They had to take these jobs! Still, today there are jobs out there we take that fit into this category. All of them are not filled by Mexicans at all. Mining and farming are two I can name right now. But oh gee don't even apply for a dry wall or roofing job. Apparently these are jobs we won't take because there mostly filled with Mexicans.

Our immigration system is corrupt. My nephew, who happens to come from Egypt after my uncle came here, has been here for over 15 years! Every time he wanted citizenship he was denied by the bureaucrats of the INS. However, people south of the border were getting the citizenships! He also payed taxes! What's up with that? I can't say I know everything about his situation but demonstrates our problems in this country. We need to fix this $#!7. I would love to see an INS vehicle pass by a protest. :lol:

The Walmart thing I can understand. Two words. Herds and packs. Hmm, sound familiar? :lol:

BTW~ Keeping this in radio relation.. I heard radio traffic about the protest on 450.1125. Anyone know who this is? :lol:

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
BTW~ Keeping this in radio relation.. I heard radio traffic about the protest on 450.1125. Anyone know who this is? :lol:[/QUOTE]

KCNC-TV Channel 1

Jim<

poltergeisty

Banned
KCNC TV 1?

Never heard of them.

Thanks.

In my above post I said " All of them are not filled by Mexicans at all. Mining and farming are two I can name right now"

I mean, MOST of them are not filled by Mexicans at all. Mining and farming are two I can name right now.

Last edited:

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Ok, I'm getting messages from people complaining that the thread is not radio related any more... Take this stuff to the Tavern...

Status
Not open for further replies.