Programming dtrs in pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
In one of the other threads it was stated to put in a conventional dummy freq in between each control channel.

It was stated that this will force the radio into checking all the control channels instead of parking on the first signal.

Can someone explain to me what this does exactly.

Are you saying that putting in the conventional freq forces the pro-96 to constantly scan all the control channels? So I am assuming that is forces the radio to listen to each control channel for 3 or 4 seconds and then scan onto the next control channel if there is no activity. Is this right and does it actually work and if it does, how does putting a conventional freq in between force the radio into scanning all the controls. I guess I don't understand that and I also don't understand why you would do this. Maybe most of you have your banks setup differently than I do.

I would be interested in know how many of you out there do this way of programming and why?

Thanks,

Dave

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I don't use that method and have never had a problem. You will also notice Phil's w96 files available at radiohacker.com do not either.

Jim<

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what I thought. However, I guess some people are doing it. I would be interested in hearing from some of them that actually do program their radios with conventional freqs spaced between the controls.

Dave

LFRfreak

Take a look at the Sticky thread in the Radioshack forum: "To leave a channel or not to leave a channel - PRO-96 trunks." That should explain things pretty well for you. I have to put a conventional frequency inbetween every control channel or else my radio won't use more than one control channel. I would suggest programming in your control channels without any conventional frequencies first. If you have any problems, try putting a conventional frequency inbetween each control channel. When you try this, be sure that the conventional frequencies that you put in aren't locked out. If you only want to listen to DTRS, use a frequency that no one will be using like 1300MHz.

-LFRfreak

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I use the conventional freqs between control channels. It does seem to make it look at the other control channels more consistently. Without the conventional, it would always stop on the first one it found. I tested this by putting it into scan mode and randomly hitting <manual>. When there were no conventional freqs programmed in, it would always be on the same control channel. With the interspaced convetional freqs, it was different almost everytime.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
captaincraig44 said:
I use the conventional freqs between control channels. It does seem to make it look at the other control channels more consistently. Without the conventional, it would always stop on the first one it found. I tested this by putting it into scan mode and randomly hitting <manual>. When there were no conventional freqs programmed in, it would always be on the same control channel. With the interspaced convetional freqs, it was different almost everytime.

I've left two Pro-96's right next to each other programmed both ways numerous times and at different times of day to try to compare and have never been able to see any difference in how the systems are monitored with a channel in-between and without.

But then again your results may vary.

Jim<

WaveRunner

I might have to give this a try for shoots and giggles. Most of the time I get Thorodin and Lookout for CC's.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
WaveRunner said:
I might have to give this a try for shoots and giggles. Most of the time I get Thorodin and Lookout for CC's.

There are lots of other strong CC's in the metro area you should be able to receive, thereby increasing your chances of hearing other agencies I routinely use about 15.

West Creek
Riley
Castle Rock
Bennett
Smoky Hill
Littleton
Castle Rock
Greenwood
DRDC
Glendale
Golden
Squaw
Thorodin
Deer Trail
Mead
Franktown

Jim<

Last edited:

NeWcS

I put in a conv between all my CC.(1300.00mhz) Found I can hear alot more that way. Before it would stop on the first CC in the bank and once released it would move on to the next bank thus skipping the rest in that bank. It slows down your scans but I find it better for me.

-Jay

Todd-NG

I was having problems with my Pro-96 not monitoring the Thorodin site after it had been on for a few minutes. I live in Northglenn and monitor Northglenn & Thornton Police and North Metro Fire. My scanner would work fine for about 5 to 10 minutes then it would go quiet. Once in a while it would pick up some radio traffic on the Squaw Mtn. site but not consistently. I would have to turn it off and back on for it to work properly again, but after a short time it would start acting up again. Using my second Pro-96 and the same Win96 file I was able to see how much radio traffic I was missing. My second radio never seemed to have a problem tracking the different control channels.

I tried changing the order in which I had the CC's programmed but that did not help out at all. After adding the "fake" conventional channels into my radio the problem was solved. Although my second radio never seemed to have the problem I went ahead and programmed the "fakes" into it just to make sure.

WaveRunner

jimmnn said:
There are lots of other strong CC's in the metro area you should be able to receive, thereby increasing your chances of hearing other agencies I routinely use about 15.

West Creek
Riley
Castle Rock
Bennett
Smoky Hill
Littleton
Castle Rock
Greenwood
DRDC
Glendale
Golden
Squaw
Thorodin
Deer Trail
Mead
Franktown

Jim<
Hi Jim, I have most of those programmed and it still only hits off Thorodin and Lookout(Golden). Once and a while I will get Bennet, Squaw Mtn and Smoky Hill. Not real often though.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Todd-NG said:
I was having problems with my Pro-96 not monitoring the Thorodin site after it had been on for a few minutes. I live in Northglenn and monitor Northglenn & Thornton Police and North Metro Fire. My scanner would work fine for about 5 to 10 minutes then it would go quiet. Once in a while it would pick up some radio traffic on the Squaw Mtn. site but not consistently. I would have to turn it off and back on for it to work properly again, but after a short time it would start acting up again. Using my second Pro-96 and the same Win96 file I was able to see how much radio traffic I was missing. My second radio never seemed to have a problem tracking the different control channels.

I tried changing the order in which I had the CC's programmed but that did not help out at all. After adding the "fake" conventional channels into my radio the problem was solved. Although my second radio never seemed to have the problem I went ahead and programmed the "fakes" into it just to make sure.

Out of curiousity, what firmware versions do each of your radios have?

Todd-NG

The first scanner (the one having the problems):
CPU: F1.1
DSP-APP: U1.2
DSP-VOC: F1.0

The second scanner is:
CPU: F1.2
DSP-APP: U1.2
DSP-VOC: F1.0

LFRfreak

I have:

CPU: F1.4
DSP-App: U1.2
DSP-Voc: F1.0

I guess my radio won't stay only on the first control channel that it receives, but it still has issues. I just tried locking out the conventional frequencies that are inbetween the control channels. When scanning, my radio will go for the first control channel thats programmed into my bank for several transmissions. The radio will then go for the next control channel thats in my bank for several transmissions and so on. Once I unlocked the conventional freqs, I got a much better variety of control channels.

-LFRfreak

Last edited:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Just a refresher for those who do use the scanlist P96 files. The idea was to put CC's that cover that particular banks agencies with the best wide coverage site CC freq being first followed by next best etc... The idea is to have the strongest and most reliable CC freq for that bank as opposed to tracking multiple sites simultaneously.

The problem I found with the multi-site idea while "roaming" (so to speak) with the conventionals forcing scanning the other CC's is that the radio will stop on a weak or marginal CC and you will get weak voice channels with garbage coming out of the speaker while the same TG would most likely be nice and clear on a nearby and stronger CC.

It sux trying this in my part of the state as not all sites carry the same TG's like most do in the metro area. This creates a situation where awaiting a response from one transmission is greatly degraded by stopping on sites that are NOT hearing that TG that may be of interest at the time and results in missing part of or all of a response on a TG.

if you absolutely have to listen to the guy who cleans the restrooms at the community college by all means use the multi-site mode :lol:

But seriously if you really really really need to do this keep in mind that some sites do restrict some TG's notably Thorodin, DRDC and Greenwood in particular. And use the I-CALL (not EDACS) and I-TAC freqs as the in-betweens since these freqs are typically quiet unless there is some mutual aid activity that is not on any of the stargate, MAC or Blue, Red, yellow green, orange, Lavender, etc.. gateway freqs/groups.

Phil.

SITES??? Why the other traffic?

I go thru WIN-96 to the WEB Import trunked systems to USA to Colorado to Adams county and select Thornton PD and FD.

No matter what SITE I use I still get many other PD's and FD's showing up with MOT ID #'s along with TPD and TFD.

I know I am just a stuipid conventional guy but I do not understand this...............

I have a PRO-96 and all the software that money can buy.

Mic

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
twowayradiomouse said:
I go thru WIN-96 to the WEB Import trunked systems to USA to Colorado to Adams county and select Thornton PD and FD.

No matter what SITE I use I still get many other PD's and FD's showing up with MOT ID #'s along with TPD and TFD.

I know I am just a stuipid conventional guy but I do not understand this...............

I have a PRO-96 and all the software that money can buy.

Mic

Are you scanning in the open (+) or closed mode (-)??

Speaking of TFD that sure was a nasty accident this afternoon, hope that child that was flown out survives but pulseless and not breathing onscene (trauma arrest) in a child is a very very bad sign.

Jim<

Jim,
Well I checked and found out I was in the open mode. I changed to the closed mode on that bank and it seems to be ok now.

I am an old school male, you know one of them that feels no need to read the owners manual. Well I am finding out that with this radio I am going to have to read the manual so I guess I will get started on that. After all I have only had it for 1 month now.

Thanks for the help.......... I'm sure there will be many more questions.

Mic

JIMMNN,
Sorry I forgot to answer your concern for the baby in that crash yesterday. That is sad and from my experience as a paramedic most that young who are a trauma cor do not make it.

Mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.