Anyone Know this Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I have seend a dark blue dodge (I think it was a dodge) with a fiberglass topper on the bed around town several time. The truck must have about 8-10 antennas on top and it has all kinds of yellow search and rescue stickers on it. Anybody familiar with that truck and is it a true search and rescue vehicle?

I would be interested to know what its communications suite consist of and what its capabilities are.

Thanks,

Dave

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I've seen that vehicle up north here from time to time. My thought is that he's a ham/react member. Looks like a porcupine.:)

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
greenthumb said:
Hey c'mon, who needs a ground plane?! :)

Obviously not this yahoo... The fact that the antennas are mounted on a fiberglass roof tells me its probably not an "official" vehicle.

FiberGlass is no problem..... IF

He or She could be using "elevated feed" ant's.

They are made for fiberglass, they provide their own ground plane........

For what it is worth...

Mic.

On the ground too.........

Take a look at all the "semi's" on the road........

While their "CB" ant's are usually mounted on their mirrors.........their business radios ant's are mounted in the fiber........

Mic.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I noticed to that the antennas were on the fiberglass shell, however, I can't discount him there not knowing what has been done to the inside of the topper. My last truck had a fiberglass topper on it and I had 4 antennas mounted in a line on the topper. Of course I had completely lined the inside of the topper with Aluminum HVAC tape and then used deep mount NMO antenna mounts. In addition I installed 6 bonding/grounding jumpers from each corner and in the middle of the topper. My set up worked fantastic. But not knowing what has been done or modified inside of that trucks topper makes me wonder....

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
A DC ground antenna could be used with little or no ground plane. I use one for my 11M trail radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.