Looking for a computer Geek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosemedic

I've got a older laptop that I use exclusively for radios and scanners. It's a Pentium 333, running windows 98, and needs to be for some of the applications that are true DOS only. I also require an actual serial port (Com 1) for an interface.

Problem is that the laptop is dying a slow death; It refuses to boot up consistantly, and often and shuts down when it feels like it. If this was to happen while writing a codeplug I'd end up with a paperweight, or a big fee at a Moneyrola Depot.

I've tried cleaning the battery contacts, and then even removed both batteries and run only on the adapter. I've been unable to troubleshoot any BIOS settings that moght be cuasing this. I've taken a vaccum cleaner to the fan, and pretty much cleaned the thing inside and out.

The specific laptop is a Sony PCG-F270, does anyone on this group know of a good shop to take this to for diagnostics and repair?

Thanks in advance

RISC777

With inconsistencies across the board from start-up to issues while running, it won't be as easy as trouble shooting a desktop. You may end up having to take to a shop with the equipment to test it that a lot of people don't have at home.

Sounds along the lines of a power problem, or another track would be something with the mother board. Dunno...

skipshark773

It sounds like your power supply may have gone bad and will probably need to be replaced. I would definately suggest taking it to get looked at. Also, depending on what model of radio you are trying to write to a Pentium 333 running Win98 may not be a good idea. Older Motorola RSS will not function properly on certan processors that are faster than what was current when the software was created. Be sure to check your software release notes in the readme files to make sure you can run the software on your computer before proceeding.

RISC777

skipshark773 said:
It sounds like your power supply may have gone bad and will probably need to be replaced. I would definately suggest taking it to get looked at. Also, depending on what model of radio you are trying to write to a Pentium 333 running Win98 may not be a good idea. Older Motorola RSS will not function properly on certan processors that are faster than what was current when the software was created. Be sure to check your software release notes in the readme files to make sure you can run the software on your computer before proceeding.

:) I have PII 333 that had 98SE on it. Butel software wants XP, so upgraded. Runs fine, but only because of a boatload of RAM. Number of years old ... piece here, part there, maybe $100 in it total. Case is somewhere around here . . . (they run better nekked anyways :) )

RISC777

Brian,
Do you still remember how to use 'edlin' ?
I think I'm getting rusty with it... lol
-Doug

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
brianmacho said:
I am a PC & Network Technician. If you still need help, please give me a call or email me. I would be glad to help you out.

Brian,

Do you do anything with Cisco PIX appliances? Trying to get a PIX501 running w/ a cable modem for VPN.

Thanks,

Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Moosemedic said:
I've got a older laptop that I use exclusively for radios and scanners. It's a Pentium 333, running windows 98, and needs to be for some of the applications that are true DOS only. I also require an actual serial port (Com 1) for an interface.

Problem is that the laptop is dying a slow death; It refuses to boot up consistantly, and often and shuts down when it feels like it. If this was to happen while writing a codeplug I'd end up with a paperweight, or a big fee at a Moneyrola Depot.

I've tried cleaning the battery contacts, and then even removed both batteries and run only on the adapter. I've been unable to troubleshoot any BIOS settings that moght be cuasing this. I've taken a vaccum cleaner to the fan, and pretty much cleaned the thing inside and out.

The specific laptop is a Sony PCG-F270, does anyone on this group know of a good shop to take this to for diagnostics and repair?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Have you noticed the time and date being off? On the Thinkpads I have it is a weak CMOS Battery that can cause strange problems. If the CMOS battery is 4 or 5 years old then it is almost gone. On one laptop a dead CMOS battery prevented the laptop from powering up even with the AC adapter plugged in.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.