Mtn View PD issuing tickets outside town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
(CBS4) MOUNTAIN VIEW, Colo. Police in the tiny town of Mountain View have permanently stopped issuing traffic tickets to drivers on northbound Sheridan Boulevard after learning they may possibly be invalid due to the town’s city limits.

Sheridan is the eastern boundary of Mountain View, a town of 569 residents in just 12 square blocks, and tucked between Wheat Ridge and Denver.

A CBS4 investigation found that Mountain View's 12-person police force has routinely been issuing speeding tickets and other moving violations to drivers northbound on Sheridan.

However, maps from Denver's clerk and recorder, confirmed by the city of Denver's senior land surveyor, show northbound lanes of Sheridan fall within the city and county of Denver, while southbound lanes are within Mountain View's jurisdiction.

“If we've done something we weren't supposed to, let's make it right,” Mountain View Police Chief Eric Gomez told CBS4.

The chief said he and his officers mistakenly thought they had ticketing authority “curb to curb” on Sheridan but were wrong. Gomez said one police agency is “definitely not” allowed to issue citations within another agency’s boundaries.

“There was no intention on the officers’ part to take the law into their own hands and just start issuing tickets,” Gomez said. “If there's a training issue for them, its a training issue for me.”

Gomez said he too had issued moving violations to drivers in Sheridan's northbound lanes.

Even though Mountain View is small, its police department is aggressive in traffic enforcement. In the last 2 1/2 years, they've issued approximately 7,200 tickets, according to assistant town attorney Hilary Mogue Graham.

In 2006, they've been handing out an average of 475 tickets per month, mostly on Sheridan Boulevard.

“We hit Sheridan hard, very hard,” Gomez said.

Mountain View police have been unable to say just how many tickets they have inadvertently handed out in Denver over the years, but they contend most of their ticketing has been in southbound lanes which are the Mountain View side of Sheridan.

The jurisdictional issue came to light after a Mountain View officer ticketed motorcycle rider Shiloh Frazier, 29, on September 2 for speeding.

Frazier was northbound on Sheridan at 43rd Avenue when he was ticketed and charged the with unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon. A Jefferson County judge eventually dismissed both charges in April because he thought Mountain View police lacked jurisdiction to ticket on the east side of Sheridan.

“Its a scam,” said David Lane, Frazier’s attorney. “Where their cops are stopping people outside Mountain View, knowing that 99 percent are going to write a check and mail it in and that’s all unlawfully gained revenue. This boundary is not difficult to ascertain. All you need is a map.”

Lane said drivers who got, and paid, questionable moving violations from Mountain View police, and received points against their licenses, may not have much individual recourse since their cases have been adjudicated. However, Lane intends to file a class action lawsuit against the department within the next few weeks for what he called fraudulent tickets.

Lane said the basis for the lawsuit will be that the officers had no constitutional right to ticket people outside their jurisdiction.

“They've been misled by a government entity into paying a lot of money and we may be able to recoup some of this money for those people,” Lane said.

Chief Gomez said all the ticket writing has not been an effort to boost revenues for the small town.

“The revenue is not such a big deal or we would write more tickets,” Gomez said.

On Thursday, just days after CBS4 showed Gomez maps and other evidence that the town boundary was the middle of Sheridan Boulevard, the chief wrote a memo to his officers to put a stop to the faulty ticketing.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the story. They are so full of crap. I don't believe them for a second that they didn't know where the boundary is. I could have told them that just from listening. I bet they never take accidents on the east side. They were running a scam.

I'm usually very pro-law enforcement, but I'm glad there will be a suit in this case.

And why does a 12 square block town even exist in a large metro area? It’s just asking for trouble in my opinion.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
logitec said:
Thanks for the story. They are so full of crap. I don't believe them for a second that they didn't know where the boundary is. I could have told them that just from listening. I bet they never take accidents on the east side. They were running a scam.

I'm usually very pro-law enforcement, but I'm glad there will be a suit in this case.

And why does a 12 square block town even exist in a large metro area? It’s just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I have always wondered about these tiny towns and districts surrounded by urban before, Skyline, Edgewater, Mtn View PD (not FD), Columbine Village all come to mind. Is it the best use of resources?

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
logitec said:
Don't forget Lakeside and Bow Mar.

That's right some more truly exciting urban activity, one police car departments.

Jim<

SCPD

QRT
There is also Lakeside Mall (mostly closed), a bank and some offices. That big building at I-70 and Harlin is in Lakeside. Just imagine being an officer in one of those boring towns. Not that long ago a Bow Mar cop got shot at though, so stuff can happen, but usually it would be almost as boring as being an air marshall.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
For those who are wondering (if you don't know):

Lakeside, Mountain View, Edgewater are dispatched by Jeffco. Sheriff.

Bow Mar is dispatched by Arapahoe Sheriff.

Skyline FD is dispatched by Littleton FD.

Morrison is the same, dispatched by Jeffco. They hang out on southbound 285, south of 470. It seems like you're going west that way, but technically it's southbound 285.

drouse3

Wow!
The old west lives in Colorado. In California a policeman does not have to be in the city they work for to write a ticket. I can see them fighting over what city gets the money, But not dropping the charges wil not happen.
I will call my X-wife who lives in Colorado Springs and let her in on this one.

MikeyB

drouse3 said:
In California a policeman does not have to be in the city they work for to write a ticket. I can see them fighting over what city gets the money, But not dropping the charges wil not happen.

I was under the impression that it was the same in Colorado - the peace officer's powers extended anywhere in the state where they saw a crime or minor offense being committed. Setting up regular radar out of jurisdiction, though, seems to be going a tad far. Seems like a revenue maker. Just listen to Jeffco Sheriff some day, and you'll hear Edgewater, Mountain View and Lakeside doing stop after stop after stop. Seems like they borrow Sheridan Blvd. for their own revenue. Why does a town like Mountain View need a 12 person police force?

Moosemedic

Mountain View PD

Could you imagine how bad it would suck for those 12 Officers if they had a residency requirement? ;-)

I'm with Jim on this one, how much more of an impact could those 12 Officers make on Wheatridge / Arvada / Jeffco, or what ever entity they were absorbed by?

Troop

MikeyB said:
I was under the impression that it was the same in Colorado - the peace officer's powers extended anywhere in the state where they saw a crime or minor offense being committed. Setting up regular radar out of jurisdiction, though, seems to be going a tad far. Seems like a revenue maker. Just listen to Jeffco Sheriff some day, and you'll hear Edgewater, Mountain View and Lakeside doing stop after stop after stop. Seems like they borrow Sheridan Blvd. for their own revenue. Why does a town like Mountain View need a 12 person police force?

Most speeding violations are not criminal offenses..or even traffic offenses...they're civil matters..that's why if you dont mail a speeding ticket in...they go after your license..which is civil too!

MikeyB

Troop said:
Most speeding violations are not criminal offenses..or even traffic offenses...they're civil matters..that's why if you dont mail a speeding ticket in...they go after your license..which is civil too!

Troop, that's the word I was thinking of, but couldn't think of - civil. The question remains, though, whether they can be given out outside of the home jurisdiction. The fact that Mountain View was getting revenue that should have been Denver's is obvious. What about any points that were given on the licenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.