Colorado Springs brush fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

janandgwen

Major grass/brush fire on Air Force Academy/Colorado Springs boundries. Multiple agencies involved. One air tanker drop already and they expect to use 2 more. Colo Springs, El paso County, Black Forest, AF Academy, Lorkspur, Woodmen Valley and others supplying equipment. Fire moving north/ Northwest. Several roads in the area blocked.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Luckily Under Control

EL PASO COUNTY - A wildfire burning near the Air Force Academy is mostly contained and has moved in the opposite direction of nearby homes.

The large grass fire is burning near Northfield Road, west of I-25 in the Woodmen Valley area just outside Colorado Springs.

The fire was originally reported at 10:14 a.m. at which time it was burning on 300 square yards, according to Jim Groth, with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office. By 2:30 p.m. the fire had spread to 90 acres, but was 95 percent contained.

The fire moved northwest from its original area.

Fire crews from several jurisdictions, including the Air Force Academy, have been working throughout the day to contain the fire. In addition, two air tankers assisted with slurry drops.

Light winds around 10 mph have been blowing in the area throughout the day, according to 9NEWS meteorologist Nick O'Kelly.

No evacuations have been ordered by officials. However, the Air Force Academy did evacuate some horses and workers from a stable close to the fire.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
evergreenwaterman said:
Any report on the cause?

Under investigation. I'm sure thiere will be rumors, but don't believe anything until the official word from the Sheriff's Office (trust me on this).

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I told you all there would be more:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9307990/detail.html
BTW, the EPSO didn't make the initial estimate on the acreage involved....

Two Teens Cited For Starting Woodmen Valley Fire
Sheriff: Boys Lit Campfire That Got Out Of Control

POSTED: 3:59 pm MDT June 1, 2006
UPDATED: 4:39 pm MDT June 1, 2006
DENVER -- Two Colorado Springs teenagers have been arrested for allegedly starting the Woodmen Valley Fire that burned about 30 to 45 acres near the Air Force Academy last week.

The suspects are 14 and 15 years old. The El Paso County Sheriff's Office said it believes the boys lit a campfire that got out of control on May 24.

The teens have been issued a summons and released to their parents.

They face a felony charge of fourth-degree arson because the fire put the residents nearby and firefighters at the scene in danger.

The sheriff's department said preliminary reports on the burn area estimated that the Woodmen Valley Fire consumed 360 acres, but further analysis indicates the actual size of the burn area was approximately 30 to 45 acres.

Status
Not open for further replies.