Bad Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Those are call "sheriffnadoes" -- not possible to have 5 tornadoes on the ground at the same time. May be some sort of outflow spinups, but not tornadoes.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
No reports of any kind from NWS.

Thanks for the spotter reports from Michigan we appreciate it. And yes Colorado has seen 5 separate tornadoes on the ground at the same time in the past on the Eastern Plaines.

The net on 146.940 is active and I will keep you updated.

Most of the spotters are reporting some weak gustnados only but very dark skies so a little hard to identify across the fields.

Jim<

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I'm talking about no reports coming from the Denver office of any tornadoes. Still none as of this minute. No tornado warning either. The options are 1) the CSP is keeping that info secret or 2) those aren't tornadoes.

And while the entire eastern CO plains may have a total of 5 tornadoes at the same time - they cannot be in the same place (i.e. north of Byers) at the same time.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
I'm talking about no reports coming from the Denver office of any tornadoes. Still none as of this minute. No tornado warning either. The options are 1) the CSP is keeping that info secret or 2) those aren't tornadoes.

And while the entire eastern CO plains may have a total of 5 tornadoes at the same time - they cannot be in the same place (i.e. north of Byers) at the same time.

NWS forecast office is now located in Boulder for the Denver area.

Also some pretty intense storms in the Fort Morgan area currently but no twisters.

Jim<

M

mpg0515

rdale said:

How about you go back to the Michigan forum and educate your folk on tornadoes, eh!@

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I do - and it's clear your CSP officers need more help than my guys do! Landspouts can look similar to tornadoes, but nowhere near the same in their power and if you have any sort of experience with Colorado weather it's easy to tell the difference.

A grand total of 0 tornadoes were reported in CO yesterday - just some wind damage. And sheriffnadoes.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/yesterday.html

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
rdale said:
A grand total of 0 tornadoes were reported in CO yesterday - just some wind damage. And sheriffnadoes.
I hate to contaminate your morning breakfast food.

There have been numerous instances in this area in the past where where
REAL tornadoes have touched down, even with videotape evidence, and the NWS has denied these happened. We did not report it so it did not happen syndrome.

Pretty cool seeing tape of one on the ground while aircraft were taking off from DIA a few years back. Oh wait that wasn't a tornado either.

It's impossible for NOAA to investigate every single tornadic event.

If a public saftey officer, firefighter or EMS person believes they are seeing a possible threat to life or property I would encourage them to report it. Even being over cautious beats "oh it's a land spout no need to report it" follwed by a community or small town wiped out 10 minutes later with casulties would not be good.

It's sad that the forums here are starting to act usenet IMHO.

Phil.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The page I linked is for raw reports from all spotters / EM's / firefighters / public / etc. If they are deemed worthy, they are investigated by the NWS and then entered into the official tally. If you feel the NWS disregarded something you have evidence for - a simple email slightly higher up the chain would get that taken care of.

But none were reported, and several trained spotters were in the area who saw some gustnadoes but no tornadoes, so I think it's safe to say none occurred.

While Usenet is full of "armchair meteorologists" I don't get the connection here. Unless you are talking about the CSP who apparently need to sit in on some spotter training?

scanlist

The incidents mentioned were brought up by trained reputable people from skywarn and the media. The NWS did not care at the time when these were presented to them.

There is a reason why people in this hobby and the media monitor skywarn nets and NOAA/NCAR chase frequencies.

I was citing the usual clueless experts, personal attacks, thread jackings, flamewars and internet/subject cops with the usenet comment.

Obviously you have an issue with the men and women of the CSP.

Phil.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No, I'm saying based on reputable storm spotters and chasers who were on those storms and I've talked to - those weren't tornadoes. I'm certainly not a clueless expert (not sure how those words fit together ;> ), no personal attack was made, no threadjacking (just clarifying) and no flameware. It's the "armchair meteorologist" who knows more than the severe weather meteorologists that get me.

In any case, if you ever have reputable evidence of a tornado that is rejected by your local NWS office - let me know and I do have people higher up the chain of command who would be very interested in your data.

I have an issue with people who are supposed to be trained, reliable spotters - that don't go to training and are therefore unreliable.

scanlist

Yes there are the "gee it looks like rain" idiots that check in to skywarn nets that you want to reach through the radio and smack the crap out of.

I understand that Adams and Araphoe counties have law and rural fire personnel that go through the yearly 1 day spring training for identifying what is and what isn't.

Just to set the record straight I was making a general statement on patterns manifesting itself on the RR forums. Not directed at you.

Phil.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha - I read my stuff again just to make sure I wasn't going overboard ;> Good to see counties requiring that, it's strange that we always have to take public safety reports as "official" yet many agencies give absolutely no training to show them what to look for!

Status
Not open for further replies.