Colo DTRS Decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfjones

I am new to digital scanning and have a few questions:

1.Can I buy a BC296D and expect it to hear all call centers on the DTRS?If not how do I load the decoding data to make this happen?Is the handheld and the desktop Uniden P25,APCO scanner the same as to programming and/or cloning?

2.Is the Colo DTRS encrypted?

3.Are all call centers available and I pick the ones I want to monitor?

4.I assume they have a node located on Deer Peak near Pueblo (line of site from here) and that all call centers appear on this node?

5.I saw a blurb on the net where the state can assign access to certain scanners and not others,ie,TV news=yes,print news =no.What is this all about?

I really hate to spend the 500 bucks if the DTRS won't allow the scanner to do it's thing.Any help is certainly appreciated or any links to this info would help too.

Bob

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rfjones said:
I am new to digital scanning and have a few questions:

1.Can I buy a BC296D and expect it to hear all call centers on the DTRS?If not how do I load the decoding data to make this happen?Is the handheld and the desktop Uniden P25,APCO scanner the same as to programming and/or cloning?

Handheld and portable are the same but personal preference is the Pro-96/2096 like that programming software better, the radio's have better audio than the uniden products and the case is a little better built. Recent review of the 296D posted online: Now as to the BC296D it is all good except that it looks cheap as all handheld scanners do and it only has a battery pack not individual rechargeable AA batteries as the Pro 96. Also it has a tuning/function wheel that looks like a toy light, I hate it but that is what it has, also the audio is a bit disappointing but that is it's weak points

Not completely sure of your call center question, the DTRS system uses control channels and you will be able to receive the control channels which are in your area,

2.Is the Colo DTRS encrypted?

No

3.Are all call centers available and I pick the ones I want to monitor?

Control channels, see answer #1.

4.I assume they have a node located on Deer Peak near Pueblo (line of site from here) and that all call centers appear on this node?

You can receive Deer Peak and other Pueblo County control channels but not all traffic appears on that site.

Also remember Pueblo County and the City of Pueblo are not on DTRS yet.

5.I saw a blurb on the net where the state can assign access to certain scanners and not others,ie,TV news=yes,print news =no.What is this all about?

That does not affect scanners, it affects commercial radios the media is buying to monitor the DTRS system.

I really hate to spend the 500 bucks if the DTRS won't allow the scanner to do it's thing.Any help is certainly appreciated or any links to this info would help too.

Bob

Welcome aboard and feel free to IM me or post additional questions you might have.

DTRS was very active last night with the flooding and road closures in Fremont County.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.