Live shooter drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

I just heard from my mother they are going to do a live shooter drill at an elementary school in the coming weeks. Just in case those of you hear something over DCSD's air. Just wanted to pass it on.

cstockmyer

rfburns said:
Live Shooter or Active Shooter?

Active I do believe. But it does sound like they are going to go all out. Buses to take the kids away and all.

rfburns

School Superintendent says some students who participated in Active Shooter exercise were impacted emotionally. The drill occured on the first day that responders used the DTRS.

Full story is at:
< http://www.craigdailypress.com/section/archive/story/23675>

"Obviously, we must use common sense as we conduct this review and plan future drills as to not give cause for alarm, or inject emotion that may detract from our learning environment and negatively impact our students," he wrote. "There is a fine line as to when and to what degree we should involve students in our drills.
"Although there is a teachable moment as a result of the Platte Canyon incident, it is a very emotionally vulnerable moment for staff and students. Proceed cautiously."
Bergmann said the drill last year, which involved students who volunteered for it, had adverse impacts on those taking part. He said it was an effect that administrators didn't count on. That memory of students being affected by the realism of the drill served as the rationale behind his Thursday morning plea to administrators to use good judgment in reacting to the Platte Canyon tragedy.
"We have to try to balance the emotions of the moment and use some common sense," Bergmann said. "We cannot allow our emotions to impact our learning environment.
"(The drill) wasn't real, but it felt real to them. It may have been fake, but it still impacted people emotionally. ... We learned from that."

jfab

Great!!! See this is what I think they should do. They do fire drills where they evacuate the school, Tornado Drills where the students huddle up in a hall way, so why not do a shooter drill?? Have they done anything like this since/before Columbine??

Troop

jfab said:
Great!!! See this is what I think they should do. They do fire drills where they evacuate the school, Tornado Drills where the students huddle up in a hall way, so why not do a shooter drill?? Have they done anything like this since/before Columbine??

it's been done alot since Columbine. As a matter of fact I think it's mandated by P.O.S.T to do training that involves active shooters, I know our recruits go thru a training block.

Status
Not open for further replies.