Thornton FD to 700MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing as early as next week and while I realize the radios have been upgraded and have seen evidence of that it does not appear the DTRS control channel infrastructure is in place to support this yet at least.

Site 105 Mt. Thorodin has zero available 700MHz frequencies

Site 106 Squaw Mtn has zero available 700Mhz frequencies

Site 107 Smoky Hill has 3 available 700MHz frequencies

Site 108 Lookout Mtn has zero available 700MHz frequencies

We'll probably will see one of the new proposed Adams County sites light up next week with 700Mhz channels.

Anyone know more?

Jim<

SCPD

QRT
This morning there is a CCH on 775.53125, site 322. It is a neighbor in the Thorodin list. It looks like Thornton PD and FD are using it.

Anyone know where it is (probably somewhere in Thornton)?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed TPD & TFD are simucasting on 700Mhz this weekend Site 322 775.53125 and is scheduled to move completely next week, will be adding this to an online feed later today.

Also some Weld County and other Adams County id's appearing on this CC.

Jim<

rckydenver

I added that above CC into the 2096 and using the Pro96 program my recieve rate varys from 70% to 20%. Like Jim said logging Weld Cnty, Adcom Cnty,plus Thornton PD and Brighton PD. Jim what kind of recieve rate are you getting?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rckydenver said:
I added that above CC into the 2096 and using the Pro96 program my recieve rate varys from 70% to 20%. Like Jim said logging Weld Cnty, Adcom Cnty,plus Thornton PD and Brighton PD. Jim what kind of recieve rate are you getting?

Believe this new site is in North Thorton, still trying to confirm.

Receive rate here is about 85% on the 996T.

Agencies I've heard so far are Thornton FD & PD, Northglenn PD, Brighton PD, Comm City PD, ACSO, FT Lupton PD, North Wash FD and Weld EMS.

Jim<

Last edited:

rckydenver

Thanks Jim, so far for total affiliations count is 71 and i also TG 2407 CSP-Denver and 1481 Jeffco low band, and for my site info on tower id does show 322 with (T0316). This just came in under sign is stated TEST.

akugri

TG's Logged in the last hour on 775.53125

Interesting that it's a lot more than Thornton ID's. Which makes me wonder when they say it will be a "simulcast site" which site is it simulcasting (and how does that take the overlaod off of Thordon and Lookout) or does this represent the up till now unknown number of users with 700/800 capable radios that are affiliating with 700.

Also, I swept the band outside in Broomfield a few minutes ago and this is the only 700mhz CC that seems to be up at this point.

As far as a location, I'm not sure but it is giving me a strong signal inside in Broomfield and the err rate has been <10. Makes me wonder if it's not the 112th/Huron water tower. Although, I do have line of sight to north Thornton also, so who knows.

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that it's a lot more than Thornton ID's. Which makes me wonder when they say it will be a "simulcast site" which site is it simulcasting (and how does that take the overlaod off of Thordon and Lookout) or does this represent the up till now unknown number of users with 700/800 capable radios that are affiliating with 700.

Also, I swept the band outside in Broomfield a few minutes ago and this is the only 700mhz CC that seems to be up at this point.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the 700/800 users and we are just now seeing them, also know alot of radios were upgraded to included 700 recently. Indeed Jason it appears to be a lot more than just Thornton users. From DEA to CSP and Weld and Adams Counties. But especially interesting to see the Weld agencies because there are no 700MHz sites in Weld currently right? Bet we know what the proposed Ft Lupton site will contain.

I know many of the Adcom radios were upgraded to be 700/800MHz over the last few months so I'm assuming they will be programmed with a higher priority to affliate with the 700Mhz site when they key up if it's available otherwise for pursuits or out of the area when they can't see site 322 they will use 800Mhz as normal. Does this make sense?

Believe Cherry Creek Schools is doing this now you'll see them on 700MHz about 95% of the time but when they travel out of the area of those sites you will see them associated with 800MHz sites.

Jim<

MNN198

Premium Subscriber
So I guess I need a new radio...

Any suggestions? I have a pro 96 now but I don't think that will cover it.....

akugri

Yeah, that makes sense. In this case simulcast might be a misnomer, as it seems to be functioning as just another cell on the matrix (albeit one that requires a newer radio) and not something that is crossbanding traffic from 800 to 700. This will be a HUGE help for traffic on the north side, which has been piled onto Thorndon and Lookout with everyone else for way too long now.

I can drive by 112th/Huron and check strength from there, but it won't be until my end of watch at 2000.

Jason

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Rob198 said:
Any suggestions? I have a pro 96 now but I don't think that will cover it.....

BCD-396D/996T are the only current radios I believe that will actually receive and scan APCO P-25 700Mhz transmissions.

Hey Jason add:

to your list now at least one Douglas County radio, more CSP and of course Cherry Creek School busses are happy up north now.

Has anyone found the actual site for 322 yet? Some said around 128th & Colorado but all I can find there is a low cellular array and Thornton City hall is another possibility but can't see any new antennas there.

Jim<

Last edited:

akugri

I'm thinking it must be on a hill considering the wide area coverage we're getting.

My BCT396D handheld is tracking the site just fine.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The only scanners in the game for 700 MHz is the Uniden 396 portable and the 996 Desktop/Mobile.

Before the boatload of questions start hitting this thread both PRO-96 and 2096 can only scan conventional on 700 MHz with with extended ranges enabled via Don starr's WIN96 program. THE RADIOSHACK SCANNERS WILL NOT TRACK TALKGROUPS ON 700 MHz.

Phil.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else actually monitoring the audio output and not just logging this site?

Because I'm experiencing a big difference between radios showing up on pro96com as affliated and audio actually coming out of the 996T?

The only audio that seems to be coming thru is Thornton and Adams County agencies is it possible the other radio's are affliating but not being allowed access to the 700? Also appears that when an "allowed" agency is transmitting it says LNK on the screen and the others just shows the id says DATA and no voice.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
akugri said:
I'm thinking it must be on a hill considering the wide area coverage we're getting.

My BCT396D handheld is tracking the site just fine.

Have a friend who thinks he found it; I am at 140th and Colo Blvd across from the newest fire station. The site is just east up on a hill.

Pictures to follow soon.

Jim<

TheLizard

jimmnn said:
Is anyone else actually monitoring the audio output and not just logging this site?

Because I'm experiencing a big difference between radios showing up on pro96com as affliated and audio actually coming out of the 996T?

The only audio that seems to be coming thru is Thornton and Adams County agencies is it possible the other radio's are affliating but not being allowed access to the 700? Also appears that when an "allowed" agency is transmitting it says LNK on the screen and the others just shows the id says DATA and no voice.

Jim<

I've been hearing Weld Co. 1907, 1909, 1930, 1940, and 1946 audio. I do see what you're seeing though. The 996 is stopping on the channels - it displays the TG but no audio.

akugri

FWIW, I am getting audio on 19## series talkgroups. Odd that it's confined to Weld County TG's.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
akugri said:
FWIW, I am getting audio on 19## series talkgroups. Odd that it's confined to Weld County TG's.

Now I'm getting audio on most of the TG that appear, pretty weird.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
WaveRunner said:
Guess it's time to go to Uniden. Ugh!
Unless they start denying affiliations of those talkgroups to the wide coverage 800 sites in the area I wouldn't toss the 96 or 2096 yet.

A shame that Uniden had no intention to use the 296/796 platform for 700 MHz.

Note to the radioshack folks. Time to get your ass in gear on 700 MHz trunking because it has officially arrived.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.