POTUS ++ In State, This week

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
DENVER -- Colorado is again receiving national attention for its swing status in the fight for control of Congress as the current president, a vice president and a former president make stops in the state less than a week before Election Day.

The Rocky Mountain News reports that President George W. Bush is coming to Greeley on Saturday to help Republicans kick off their get out the vote effort before Election Day.

Bush will appear with Bob Beauprez, who is running for governor, and U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, of Fort Morgan, who is running for re-election in the 4th Congressional District, and most likely Rick O'Donnell, who is running for the 7th Congressional District seat.

Vice President Dick Cheney will be in Colorado Springs on Friday to campaign for Doug Lamborn, who is running in the 5th Congressional District.

Former President Bill Clinton will make a campaign appearance in Colorado for Democratic congressional candidate Ed Perlmutter this week, days after a similar appearance by Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

Perlmutter spokesman Scott Chase said Clinton will visit Wednesday, but details had not been worked out.

Obama stumped for Perlmutter last week in his race against O'Donnell. Some consider the 7th District race a good chance for Democrats to pick up an open seat in their bid to gain control of the House. The district is evenly split among Democrats, Republicans and Independents.

Beauprez gave up his 7th District seat to run for governor.

scanner_nut

TFR in place along with Combat Air Patrols

With all the high ranking officials visiting Colorado, There will be a large 30-nautical-mile-radius temporary flight
restriction (TFR) centered on the GLL VOR's 208-degree radial
at 8.5 miles, extending up to Flight Level 180. It will be in effect
from 9:10 a.m. local until 11:45 p.m. local on Saturday. Also, there
will be a smaller 10-nm-radius GA no-fly zone in effect within
the larger TFR during that timeframe. See AOPA Online for the full
text of the notam along with a graphical depiction
( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#6/5064 ).

There is also Combat Air Patrol aircraft that fly top cover for the president. They will be talking to Denver Center and monitoring 121.5, in case a pilot strays too close.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
scanner_nut said:
There is also Combat Air Patrol aircraft that fly top cover for the president. They will be talking to Denver Center and monitoring 121.5, in case a pilot strays too close.

Last time he came to visit there was no CAP... :confused:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I saw a Marine Corp. Sea Knight chopper fly over when I was at CCPD late this afternoon. He was only at about 500 ft. off the deck and not going that fast. Wonder if it was an excercise in prep for the visit?

scanner_nut

The last time President Bush visited Colorado Springs, there where 2 F-16's flying top cover talking to Denver Center on the Pueblo discrete freq 128.3750. The rest of Denver Center freqs can be found here: http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/zdv/index.html.

They would advise the controller when they would be changing frequencies to coordinate mid air refueling with a KC-135 out of Tinker AFB orbiting around. I never picked up their plane 2 plane frequency. I heard and saw them flying over making north to south tracks. The odd thing was that the planes where out of Cannon AFB in AZ, instead of using the F-16 ANG squadron at Buckley. Once Airforce One had cleared our class C airspace, the CAP pilots requested IFR clearances to RTB. All comm was in the clear. I also was monitoring 121.5 and heard a controller warning several aircraft to remain clear of the restricted airspace.

Good hunting, would appreciate any confirmed frequencies used.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Last time there was no CAP, no security, no press plane. Seemed like nobody gave a crap...:confused: However the time before that there were 2 Vipers(C/S Gemni) in the CAP.

FYI, the Vipers from Cannon AFB are from Eastern New Mexico, not Arizona. When they do come to play up in Colorado, mostly at Airburst, they use CallSigns of Fireball, Gemni, Igor, Maxim, and Napa. And if you want to listen in on their A/A, throw 138.9 in you radio.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
If the Boys from Buckley do the CAP put 271.0 and 138.425 in. C/S will be PEAK.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
datainmotion said:
I saw a Marine Corp. Sea Knight chopper fly over when I was at CCPD late this afternoon. He was only at about 500 ft. off the deck and not going that fast. Wonder if it was an excercise in prep for the visit?

The "Nighthawks" were out on the local flight checks. You saw an CH-53E, out of Miramar. Keep your eyes open for 2 other Helos, VH-60's. Same Callsign. I'm still searching to see if I can get an A/A for them.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Of course all this good monitoring will be happening while I'm in NW Colorado hunting this weekend.

scanner_nut

I thought the Buckley F-16 call sign is Redeye? I hear Redeye all the time talking to Airburst range control.

Thanks for the other freqs !

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
scanner_nut said:
I thought the Buckley F-16 call sign is Redeye? I hear Redeye all the time talking to Airburst range control.

Thanks for the other freqs !

REDEYE is the main one they use. However when they are in a CAP they use the C/S of PEAK. They also also use STUD and SOCK.

eyes00only

scanner_nut said:
The last time President Bush visited Colorado Springs, there where 2 F-16's flying top cover talking to Denver Center on the Pueblo discrete freq 128.3750. The rest of Denver Center freqs can be found here: http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/zdv/index.html.

Good hunting, would appreciate any confirmed frequencies used.

Nice link, but I have a question. The glossary is great, but it did not include 'discrete'. What makes a particular freq. discrete?

Jerry

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
eyes00only said:
Nice link, but I have a question. The glossary is great, but it did not include 'discrete'. What makes a particular freq. discrete?

Jerry

[FONT=&quot]It’s up the controller. If an aircraft requests or needs special handling, the controller will assign them to a discrete freq to keep them apart from other aircraft.[/FONT]

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
abqscan said:
REDEYE is the main one they use. However when they are in a CAP they use the C/S of PEAK. They also also use STUD and SOCK.

They also use RIVAL when ACM's are taking place.

eyes00only

abqscan said:
[FONT=&quot]It’s up the controller. If an aircraft requests or needs special handling, the controller will assign them to a discrete freq to keep them apart from other aircraft.[/FONT]

Thanks Erik. I may come to the meeting, but it's a LONG drive for me.

Jerry

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Greeley Post Game analysis (for anyone who cares).

All 6 WINTAG groups were in use along with MAC-3, MAC-5, MAC-7, MAC-STATEWIDE, Capital Police, GPD-2, GPD-TAC-5 encrypted, GPD-TAC-6 & WELD-TAC-4.

169.925 P25 encrypted repeated and simplex.

The only interesting situation was that Weld ambulance requested PVH ambulance mutual aid to cover the city due to the major accident at US 85 South of LaSalle with 5 ground and one air life transport. The N. Greeley site was rejecting the PVH radios access to their MED-5 TG.

Phil.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
scanlist said:

All 6 WINTAG groups were in use along with MAC-3, MAC-5, MAC-7, MAC-STATEWIDE, Capital Police, GPD-2, GPD-TAC-5 encrypted, GPD-TAC-6 & WELD-TAC-4.

The only interesting situation was that Weld ambulance requested PVH ambulance mutual aid to cover the city due to the major accident at US 85 South of LaSalle with 5 ground and one air life transport. The N. Greeley site was rejecting the PVH radios access to their MED-5 TG.

Phil.

It was also interesting the special TFR permissions L/G 911 had to get for that call it delayed there response by about 10 minutes.

Jim<

DVLSU698

scanlist said:

Phil.
OTHER FREQS FEDERAL FREQS LOGGED SOME NOT ENCRYPTED
165.375 1/2 time in clear
1 800MHZ NATION WIDE FOR GOT WITH 0NE

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
abqscan said:
Your 4, 400MHz freqs are from the 400 Federal System in town....
Whoops!

Being on the South side of the "ridge" I couldn't catch portable to portable comm if I wanted to. And I wasn't about to go anywhere near the event with the radio toys. They tend to get all sorts of upset with that.

Other than interest in the protesters outside the park it was relatively quiet this visit.

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.