So, I trimmed down the metro sites list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
My 996 seems to spend more time scanning than actually stopping on an active channel on the DTRS.
So, for Metro north (Adams / Broomfield / Weld) and Metro west (JeffCo), I have eliminated any sites within the metro area that are south or east. Seems logical. I did notice what seemed like more traffic. Any educated input on why I should have not done that? Or more importantly, do those of you using 396s / 996s break things out geographically?

RISC777

If you're scanning multiple systems, departments, etc. on one scanner you can "miss" traffic from System A because it's scanning System C. The more you have active to be scanned the greater the chance you'll not hear something from another system. This is why some have and use multiple scanners. Another thing you can do is lock out the TAC channels and just scan through the dispatch channels. When you hear something dispatched, hold on that system and see what's what. But that's another personal preference thing.

You can look at your Hold and Delay times also. My preference is 0 for Hold and 2 for Delay. 0 Hold so that it goes on past each System as "quickly" as possible, and 2 Delay so I have time to hit Hold but if I don't it's not pausing that long until it goes back to scanning.

Just a couple of thoughts thrown out in response.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Great tips - that's exactly what I am looking for. I tend to stay away from any channels except dispatch. The only exception would be my hometown PD. I'll check my hold and delay settings.

The total number of scanned TGs on the 996 is maybe 5-10% higher than my 780, but the 780 seems to stop more. The main diff is DTRS TGs on now and Aurora TGs gone and other agencies TGs trimmed significantly back.

Status
Not open for further replies.