ACU 1000 Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Test underway by DPD on Mac-1 but most agencies are not answering and Arap has spec ops 2 patched, Aurora has Tac 3 patched providing major interferance and Fed Heights just said your coming up on our public works channel.

Too bad the news won't do an investigative story before someone get's hurt or killed.

Happy to know we are safe for interagency communications and our tax dollars are at work.

http://www.jps.com/downloads/PDFS/acu1000app.pdf

Jim<

Last edited:

n4voxgill

Silent Key
there are places where the acu has proved very capable. but it requires constant training. The orange county florida sheriffs office has appointed a full time communications trainer to keep field and dispatchers trained on how to use sophisticated equipment. Most failures are a result of a lack of training.

n0nhp

Oh the Acu Works.......
From what I have heard from users and techs that have them and use them, you just have to have a qualified tech with the unit. All the time it is in operation. With the service monitor hooked up.
A trained radio op can take over during meal times but don't leave it too long and don't change operating frequencies without having the monitor on it and the tweeking tool in the adjustment pots.

Too many systems have the techs hook the unit up and show a couple of radio operators how to set the patches. They then figure the thing is set up for use anywhere anytime.

I suppose that is why I still have a job :)

Bruce (Communications Tech)

Last edited:

SECOEMS

Transpeater

We utilize a Transpeater 3 to tie our main talkgroups to the old talkgroups in the county. We have one that is permenant and one that is portable for tactical opreations. It seems to work fine for what we need and it is very simple to use unlike the ACU 1000 or the others.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
jimmnn said:
Test underway by DPD on Mac-1 but most agencies are not answering and...Fed Heights just said your coming up on our public works channel.

I meant to do that...hehehehehe

MMIC

ACU 1000 Stinks

Boy, this is a pretty bold statement. I have heard DPD patched to DTRS with an ACU-1000 for a situation and it sounded absolutely great and worked very well.

Too bad the news won't do an investigative story before someone get's hurt or killed.

Maybe that's why they were testing it...so that they don't have to be on the news or worry about someone getting hurt or killed.

Happy to know we are safe for interagency communications and our tax dollars are at work.

If they're testing, it obviously means that they are working on it. It is better that they are testing it before it is used instead of having this apparent mishap occur during a real incident, wouldn't you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.