Re-thinking my life/future Lost another friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

manross

In less then 10 months I've lost another friend. Police Officer Ken Jordan 32 yoa of the Colorado Springs Police Department was shot to death 12/4/06 at 2315 hours. Myself and my department are in shock of this happening so soon after the last officer was murdered less than 10 months ago. I was going to stick it out another 3-4 years, but I'm thinking that it's not worth it. He was a great officer and friend. He provided me cover so many times, that when he showed up I knew that things were going to turn out ok.
He was one of eight DUI officers. He was providing cover on a possible DUI suspect and the 28 yoa suspect jumped out of the car and shot him dead!!!!!!! Suspect was shot 5 times, but expected to recover. What the @#%$ is wrong with these young people now a days???
I think I need to move to an area that has a lot of water and immerse myself in the boats and my scanners.
Ken take that Code 7 now, we've got the watch from here....

www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18617

daleduke17

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a co-worker is definately hard.

Are you only 3-4 years from retirement? I would try to stick with it for that short of time. But, if you want to hang up the duty belt, go and do it. Because if your heart isn't into it, then you aren't going 100% at it. I've seen different people in different fields of work (myself included before I started my current job) that just go in, do the minimum, go home and collect the check. That, to me, is not really a good thing. In some fields you can get away with it, but, this is a field where you can't really do that.

First though, give yourself a little bit to try and work things out in your mind. Don't make a rash decision, whatever you do.

I'm sorry still about your loss. As an associate on here and as a member of the public safety field. To paraphrase what you said to your friend: Officer Jordan, you're clear for 10-42. God speed.

RFsponge

manross-

I'm sure I cannot find the words to properly console you and your extended family in the Colorado Springs PD. This country would not be the greatest on Earth today or at anytime in the planet's entire history without the sacrifice and commitment of people like you. Your efforts and courage are very, very much appreciated.

That said, I would like to offer you one piece of advice that has served me well through my life: Never make important life or career decisions while you are in an emotional state. Strong emotions overwhelm rational thought and common sense. I'm sure you are aware of this and deal with people acting with poor judgement, fueled by their emotions, on a daily basis.

Perhaps you are ready for a change. Just give yourself the time to examine your life in a rational, calm environment before making this decision.

Thank you very much for your service.

Rob

pinetree

manross
There is not a single word in any language that can fill the void that you and your Dept feels. but accept this : we share your loss as only a brother can. We have walked in your shoes and we are there to help carry the load.
Rest in peace my brother.
Check your PM for another message.

scanjunkie

My heart felt sympathies to you, your department, and the families of the fallen officers. I can't imagine what you all must be going through. Try to keep the faith and like the others said, don't make any decisions until your head is clear. May God Bless you and your department and may your friends rest in the peace of the Lord.

Sac916

Unfortunately I understand your pain and loss. In 15 months my department has lost 3 Deputies. 2 in an helicopter crash, and 1 who was murdered in October.

Empower yourself at this moment of horror, pain and disgust.
Know that there is a fellowship beyond words and a bond that is unbreakable.

I doubt greatly that your thoughts are unique, especially in those moments of solitude.
I also doubt greatly that not one of our lost friends would want those considerations to be taken seriously.

Continue with your passion. Do not let evil determine your path in life.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Deputy Sheriff Jeffrey V. Mitchell
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18563
Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, CA
EOW: Friday, October 27, 2006
Cause of Death: Gunfire

Deputy Sheriff Kevin Patrick Blount
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17814
EOW: Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Cause of Death: Aircraft accident

Deputy Sheriff Joseph Michael Kievernagel
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17813
EOW: Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Cause of Death: Aircraft accident

Tazcop

What a rotton week!!! It hit me hard too, with 2 murders in 10 months. I remember Mark Dabling's like yesterday. Hugh Martin's was a tough one too. Hell they all are. Keep the faith, remember they died doing what they loved and now they are looking down on us.

Stay safe,

Jim

manross

Thanks to all for all the kind words and private messages. To my brothers in blue a special thanks. I should have waited to post my message to honor Ken until my emotions and my sleep deprivation was handled. I just felt the need to unload at the time. I'll survive as we all do when faced with hardship. With the help of friends, co-workers, family and strangers like on this forum, I guess we all, are really never alone. Please say a prayer for Ken and his family. Please don't forget the soldiers that are on the front lines now that are keeping us free where we can have this forum and the lives that we enjoy. God bless all....

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.