Anybody know the scanner law here in CO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KC0UWS

I've lived in Colorado all my life, been "scanning" since I was 13, now a ham radio operator, and I don't know if Colorado has laws regarding scanners. Can somebody fill me in?

Steve2003

It is perfectly legal to have a scanner in your posessioin. As far as I know, it is only against the law to use the scanner if you are committing a crime or interfering with police activity (ex, following the police to all of their calls)

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Your amateur radio license does provide you with a nationwide exemption for mobile use provided you are not breaking any laws at the time of contact.

Colorado is a "Home Rule" state meaning that the towns, cities and counties could, if they wish to, impose local regulation on scanner usage within their jurisdiction.

To the best of my knowledge there are no usage restrictions at the local levels.

Just don't do anything to get anyone's attention is the best rule of thumb.

Phil.

RFsponge

It's also illegal to profit from information you hear on scanners. For example, monitoring cell phone frequencies and using a credit card number you intercept. Although that's illegal in a bunch of other ways. Monitoring the door code a fire department dispatcher relays to a firefighter in the field to gain access to an apartment building, then going to the building and accessing it yourself using the code you intercepted. That would be bad.

Related: Secretly TRANSMITTING someone's conversation. Also illegal. Colorado is a "single-party consent" state. Meaning you can TAPE a conversation as long as one person in the conversation knows it's being taped. However, I myself acting in a news gathering role can not have a reporter walk up to someone with a wireless, somewhat inconspicuous lapel microphone and "interview" them without them knowing their voice is being TRANSMITTED to a receiver on a camera. Do the same thing with a tape recorder and you're fine. That's why newspaper reporters have it so easy. You don't even have to know you're talking to one as they gather information.

I went down to a space shuttle launch in August of 2005 with my 296D. I didn't learn until I got back to Colorado how different Florida's laws are concerning scanners. I could have very easily lost it / been arrested had I run into a sufficently bored or anal law enforcement officer. I made no attempt to hide it as it was hanging on my belt...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.