i really don't know where to put this but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KC0UWS

Say for example I had a radio programmed for local law enforcement agencies frequencies, I am a ham (which I am). I witnessed a car wreck, nobody in the area to witness it happening or to call for help. Nobody has a cell phone. no homes in the area. Would that give a person immediate authorization to transmit on PD/FD frequencies to get response?

rckydenver

Being that you are a license ham you can join some repeater clubs like the RMRL, CRA just to name a few, become a member and they will give you access codes to repeater that will allow to make phone calls(Patches)..Or have someone make an emergency call for you on the ham radio..Having a ham radio to transmit on PD/FD would be a no-no.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
KC0UWS said:
Say for example I had a radio programmed for local law enforcement agencies frequencies, I am a ham (which I am). I witnessed a car wreck, nobody in the area to witness it happening or to call for help. Nobody has a cell phone. no homes in the area. Would that give a person immediate authorization to transmit on PD/FD frequencies to get response?
Absolutely not.

K

KC0UWS

Ok, BUT what if there are no repeaters in the area? Nobody in the immediate area? The only thing left is a radio.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
KC0UWS said:
Ok, BUT what if there are no repeaters in the area? Nobody in the immediate area? The only thing left is a radio.
Even if you saved someone's life I'm sure they will still have a little talk with you using their frequencies, which you have no license for.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
KC0UWS said:
Drive.
If you do use your illegally modified radio to transmit on a frequency you have no business being on, you can expect a whole lot of grief.
Welcome to living in Colorado and the west in general. Sometimes you have to drive to find services, or a phone, or cell service, or whatever.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
FCC rules allow anyone to transmit on any frequency in the interest of saving a life, be it law enforcement, aviation, ham, GMRS, media. You name it, it's yours in that situation. No ham license required. If the means are there and you have the capability to transmit in an effort to get help, go for it.

edit: If it was an illegally modified radio, by all means get on it and get help, but expect to have some kind of punishment for having such a rig in your posession.

K

KC0UWS

firescannerbob said:
Seems like someone just trying to justify some illegal mods.
QUOTE]

none of my radios have illegal mods! CASE CLOSED!

NOTE TO MODERATORS: Please delete thread.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
KC0UWS said:

How realistic is that? the answer is NO.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
OK, before we close this out...
Absolutely not. I think all jurisdictions in Colorado would pursue federal sanctions, local charges, or whatever, no matter what the reason an unauthorized person transmits on a public safety freq. I know what the "law" says, but believe me, it doesn't work that way.

Troop

yeah it doesnt work that way...and to me render aid means to whatever is possible to give aid...which may include driving a distance to get help or something to that effect....if you're the only one there giving aid...you'll never keep the wheel spinning if you know what I mean

scanner_nut

FCC part 97 regulates amateur radio operations and licensing. §97.403 Safety of life and protection of property. No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available. That reg allows you to transmit in an emergency, so you would not be breaking FCC regs. The FCC licenses each agency the use of their frequencies and radios. The DA in the county your in at the time of transmitting would have to make the decision if your transmission would some how interfer with or obstruct law enforcement operations and be considered illegal. I would recommend that you program in mutual aid frequencies and possibly NLEC frequencies into your rig. These frequencies are designed to be used for such cases where mutual aide is needed.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Like I said, I know what the "law" says... but don't believe for a second that it protects you.
Keep one very important thing in mind: just because you think a situation is so hopeless that you have no alternative but to transmit on a public safety frequency doesn't make it so. The public safety agency will most likely not agree with your assessment. Some agencies that have had problems with "stolen" or "missing" radios in the past are particularly aggressive in defending their right to limit who talks on their channels...including mutual aid freqs that the agency is licensed for. (How's that for putting it tactfully?)
Look, I'm only passing on what I've learned in 28 years of driving big white. UWS, I'm personally grateful for your desire to be helpful. I just suggest sticking to the telephone.

Last edited:

Spud

The trade-off

scanner_nut said:
FCC part 97 regulates amateur radio operations and licensing. §97.403 Safety of life and protection of property. No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available. That reg allows you to transmit in an emergency, so you would not be breaking FCC regs. The FCC licenses each agency the use of their frequencies and radios. The DA in the county your in at the time of transmitting would have to make the decision if your transmission would some how interfer with or obstruct law enforcement operations and be considered illegal. I would recommend that you program in mutual aid frequencies and possibly NLEC frequencies into your rig. These frequencies are designed to be used for such cases where mutual aide is needed.

The federal government owns the entire RF spectrum and all those who use it do so at their discretion (including public service agencies).

It is a well known fact that a significant number of radios manufactured for use in the Amateur Radio Service have the ability to receive on frequencies outside of the Amateur Radio bands. It is also a fact that a significant number of those radios have been modified by their current or previous owners to allow them to transmit outside of the Amateur bands. Modification of equipment is not illegal in the Amateur Radio Service as it is necessary to enable some of the radios to transmit on other authorized frequencies such as MARS (or any other frequencies where privileges have been granted by the FCC).

Each situation must be analyzed based on the totality of the circumstances. If you reasonably believe that transmitting on a public service frequency is the only option to save a life (including your own) you must be willing to accept the subsequent risk for doing so.

There is an obvious difference between a technical violation of the regulations in order to save lives and malicious interference to public service communications. But you will be held accountable for your actions in all circumstances.

The spud

rfburns

You have to love how people start a thread and then when they don't like the way the discussion is going they want to close and delete the thread. I don't mean just this forum. It happens all over the net.

Do a Google search on an incident in California several years ago where a person determined in his mind that there was an "emergency" and transmitted on a public safety frequency. As I recall, the FCC determined that the event was not an "emergency" and sanctions were imposed.

About 15-17 years ago there was a pursuit involving CSP north of Denver. A media helicopter pilot transmitted on a CSP frequency. Certainly the pilot thought his transmission was an "emergency", but it was determined that it was not an "emergency" and sanctions were imposed. Perhaps Troop has a better recollection of the details.

Bottom line: your definition of "emergency" may not be the same as the FCC's. Especially six months later when the attorneys are done with it and the parties involved are all alive and doing well.

cstockmyer

I'm not a HAM, but I am fairly sure they would cover this in the Classes it takes to get your licence. Where and on what freqs you can transmit on. But that's just me

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
KC0UWS said:
Ok End Of Discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sir, that is not your choice. You previously requested this be closed and even though you opened this can of worms, that doesn't mean you can close it or expect your request for it to be closed to be adhered to.

There are several good points made in this thread and it serves value and as such I would like to see it stay open (as my vote carries more weight, lets just leave it open.)

As others have pointed out, in extreme emergencies, to save life, a person can use any communication device available to communicate such emergency to get aid. That said, a licensed amateur radio operator is expected to know that such action is more likely to draw "fire" from both the FCC and local authorities than John Doe on the street. I don't have the specific details at hand, but in at least one situation as you describe, a ham did just that and although it was acknowledged that there probably was no other reasonable method to gain the authorities attention, he still received an enforcement letter and a NAL for a small "slap on the wrist" fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.