Site 105 - Mt Thorodin Off the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Currently not broadcasting and showing as failed status.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The 2nd busiest CC in the state remains down now almost 12 hours later, any idea whats going on? No talk on the radio techs ids even.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
All sorts of possibilities.

If the site lost communications with the ZC be it microwave or T1 shutting it down would make sense as it would be in site trunking which would cause major headaches with the number of agencies that are continuously on it. (i.e. dispatch centers have no way to communicate with users on this site)

Could also be a physical failure or site controller crash.

Phil.

M

mpg0515

jimmnn said:
The 2nd busiest CC in the state remains down now almost 12 hours later, any idea whats going on? No talk on the radio techs ids even.

Jim<

I just wonder how the rest of the sites are handling all the extra activity??? I was listening to Mead site, and well, I have never seen it so overloaded! What a great system........?? Also logging Squaw, it is out of control. Horsetooth, I am seeing TG's that I have never seen before. If this were conventional, this would not happen. Plain and simple. Dozens of agencies are at the mercy of this site, and it is OFF the air. What a failure!

P.S. I seem to remember this happening with the PVH site a couple of years back. That made for some great listening! PFA went to simplex freqs during a 3rd alarm fire! The batt chief was not happy to say the least. That took a couple of days to get all that crap sorted out as well. I'm sure the techs have no idea what is going on with Thorodin, just the same as this instance. Its all just fine until someone dies, right?

Last edited:

scanlist

Yep looks like you did it this time.:twisted:

Go stand in the corner. :lol:

Phil.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Power outage is the word I'm getting this morning and it may be at least a few days. Especially effecting Broomfield PD and North Metro Fire with busy signals because they don't the 700MHz backup the way most other depts in the area do.

Jim<

Thayne

In my old working days, it was funny how generators always crap out when they are needed--Mostly because the powers that be won't let you do routine maintenance in order to save money :roll:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
christenorio said:
jim try programming the lookout mountain site for adcom and broomfield

I have that in, what I was referring to is the user agencies of Broomfield and North Metro are facing busy signals especially in areas around Flat Irons when they try to key up because Lookout does not cover that area well and of course is already the busiest site in the state.

Thank you

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
christenorio said:
jim try programming the lookout mountain site for adcom and broomfield

Also remember many of the Adams County agencies including TPD and TFD are denied from site 108.

Jim<

rfburns

k0co_5 said:
Would the sites not have local generators for power; at least the obvious main sites?
I don't know specifically about Thorodin, but there are some sites which do not have generators because there is no practical way to deliver fuel to the site. If there is no vendor who will deliver fuel to a site, it's probably not worthwhile installing a generator and having to get the fuel there yourself.

Mountain top sites generally will run from about 6 to 18 hours on battery power.

Todd-NG

jimmnn said:
Power outage is the word I'm getting this morning and it may be at least a few days. Especially effecting Broomfield PD and North Metro Fire with busy signals because they don't the 700MHz backup the way most other depts in the area do.

Jim<

Just checked and the Thorodin site is up and running again. They must have taken care of the power problem faster then they thought.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Todd-NG said:
Just checked and the Thorodin site is up and running again. They must have taken care of the power problem faster then they thought.

Yes indeed came back up about 1300hrs.

Jim<

Thayne

If all the juice was off it should have dropped the Arvada Edacs system too, Right?

There is some ham repeaters and a Big 900 Meg LTR trunked system there also.

scanlist

Thayne said:
If all the juice was off it should have dropped the Arvada Edacs system too, Right?
The Westy system is on Eldorado Mountain not Thorodin.

Boulder County's South channels are on Thorodin and were working the whole time the DTRS site was down.

At any rate they got the site back on the air which is what counts.

With all the issues involving 800 only agencies with a major site being down maybe the masterminds need to rethink 700 only sites until all agencies in the area have dual 700/800 radios. If Gunbarrel had 800 capability it might have alleviated some coverage issues experienced in Broomfield.

We are in serious trouble if a ZC were to go south.

Phil.

MMIC

scanlist said:
We are in serious trouble if a ZC were to go south.

Why? The zone would just switch over to the fully redundant chassis with the same databases on it as the one that failed and keep on rocking - less, of course, a few minutes of site trunking throughout the zone during the switchover.

This is why a multi-site system is good - at least entire agencies were not completely offline during this down time. They just had to deal with degraded coverage and/or busies - which is better than being down.

Status
Not open for further replies.