CSP Summit County

Status
Not open for further replies.

epbernstein

I'm beginning to suspect that I don't have the proper frequencies/TGs in my scanner for CSP in Summit. I get 6B fine on DTRS up to the tunnel, and 4C both VHF and DTRS west of Vail Pass, but nothing in Summit County.

That's still 6B, right? What channels/frequencies are they using??

Thanks in advance!

RFsponge

I'm beginning to suspect your computer has a nervous tick! (kidding)

Ummm. If memory serves, (and there's a good chance that it dosen't) TG 8104 on the DTRS is CSP Craig Dispatch. Simulcast on 154.735? (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) Also, 154.445 is "Summit" dispatch for CSP. Not sure why you would lose them between the tunnel and Vail Pass... The DTRS is barely used in Summit County. I'd bet Troop could give you definate info...

Probably wasn't much help. Sorry.
Rob

epbernstein

Nervous tick, indeed...

I hope the nervous tick doesn't give it Lyme disease...

I will double check the frequencies/TGs. I don't know what the problem is--I get Summit SO and the various PD/FD/EMS units fine...

Todd-NG

epbernstein said:
I'm beginning to suspect that I don't have the proper frequencies/TGs in my scanner for CSP in Summit. I get 6B fine on DTRS up to the tunnel, and 4C both VHF and DTRS west of Vail Pass, but nothing in Summit County.

That's still 6B, right? What channels/frequencies are they using??

Thanks in advance!

Back in April Summit County 6B CSP units moved to Denver dispatch from the Craig dispatch center. Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31294

Not sure if this could be part of the problem you are having with receiving them.

rickak

I was hearing 6B CSP in Summit county on DTRS this past summer. I was using the Lake Hill CC - 868.400. They're probably still simulcasting on VHF as well.

Rick

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RFsponge said:
I'm beginning to suspect your computer has a nervous tick! (kidding)

Ummm. If memory serves, (and there's a good chance that it dosen't) TG 8104 on the DTRS is CSP Craig Dispatch. Simulcast on 154.735? (I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong) Also, 154.445 is "Summit" dispatch for CSP. Not sure why you would lose them between the tunnel and Vail Pass... The DTRS is barely used in Summit County. I'd bet Troop could give you definate info...

Probably wasn't much help. Sorry.
Rob

DTRS barely used in Summit County? Wait they switched to Denver dispatch in April and now have to use it. Remember it's normally patched with a Denver troop (6A or 6C) area because there not busy enough to warrant there own dedicated dispatcher.

Also VHF up there was 155.445 but that was when it was Craig dispatch before the move to Denver dispatch. It's Denver dispatch now east of Vail Pass and Craig dispatch west of the pass.

CSP is DTRS but all other county agencies remain VHF.

Jim<

Last edited:

RFsponge

Yes. Absolutely. I should've been more clear. DTRS is barely used by anyone there except for CSP. And CDOT too. Although it seems they still prefer 151.085 over the DTRS.

What's funny though, is that I still hear Craig dispatching Summit County calls when I'm home in Granby. It is usually in the middle of the night when I'm there, so maybe Denver hands Summit off when they get busy?

There's no way I'm sometimes hearing Denver on the Craig simulcast, is there?

Rob

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
RFsponge said:
Yes. Absolutely. I should've been more clear. DTRS is barely used by anyone there except for CSP. And CDOT too. Although it seems they still prefer 151.085 over the DTRS.

What's funny though, is that I still hear Craig dispatching Summit County calls when I'm home in Granby. It is usually in the middle of the night when I'm there, so maybe Denver hands Summit off when they get busy?

There's no way I'm sometimes hearing Denver on the Craig simulcast, is there?

Rob

Correct CDOT will use DTRS car to car sometimes but VHF remains there primary and UHF at the Ike tunnel.

Also remember the DTRS coverage is piss poor in Summit and it's mainly only the eastern part of I-70 thats any good, get West, North or South in the county and the troopers are SOL and they switch to NLEC, State 3 or Summit primary 155.580 (North) and 155.625 (South) and just talk directly.

Got to love our advancements.

Jim<

rfburns

RFsponge said:
What's funny though, is that I still hear Craig dispatching Summit County calls when I'm home in Granby.Rob
Are you sure you are not just hearing DOW calls in Summit Co on the 4B TG? The other possibility is when 4B Troopers (mostly 4B2, but once in awhile 4B8 or 9) cover Hwy 9 because the Summit Co Troopers are all tied up on I-70.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
rfburns said:
Are you sure you are not just hearing DOW calls in Summit Co on the 4B TG? The other possibility is when 4B Troopers (mostly 4B2, but once in awhile 4B8 or 9) cover Hwy 9 because the Summit Co Troopers are all tied up on I-70.

The other thing I notice a lot now with the combined dispatch is 6B Frisco troopers going to Clear Creek County more to cover calls and the other way around also, happened very rarely when the dispatch line was divided at Eisenhower Tunnel.

Jim<

RFsponge

rfburns said:

Pretty sure. I even remember one over the weekend as an accident call on I-70 at MM204 which is Frisco. I don't have a digital capable scanner at my house, (no need in Grand County yet) so I could've only heard it on the simulcast. Maybe because of the avalanche on Berthoud, Denver dispatch got tied up and handed 4B back over to Craig for a while?

Just a guess.

And would I ever hear a patched Denver dispatch on the Craig simulcast?

rfburns

RFsponge said:
And would I ever hear a patched Denver dispatch on the Craig simulcast?
By Craig simulcast, you mean VHF on Grouse, Buffalo or Mines, Walton etc? I wasn't thinking VHF. I didn't think VHF transmissions were any different than DTR. I'll have to turn VHF on and see.

The two Troops were separate during the incident. At least on DTR. Frisco Capt. did come up on 4B when he was enroute and ask for the Granby office Troopers and Sgt. to work Hwy 9 into Summit Co.

RFsponge

rfburns said:
By Craig simulcast, you mean VHF on Grouse, Buffalo or Mines, Walton etc? I wasn't thinking VHF. I didn't think VHF transmissions were any different than DTR.

Good question. I don't know where I'm picking it up from. It's Craig Dispatch and it is always a very consistent and strong signal no matter where I am in Grand / Routt / Summit / Jackson etc. counties, so perhaps all of them. The moment I top Berthoud Pass on my way home, I get Routt County SO loud and clear too, so signal propigation dosen't appear to be a problem in the Frasier Valley and on up to Kremmling and Rabbit Ears. My house scanner brings in Craig loud and clear as well.

One thing I will have to listen for now is the cars when they are close. In times past, I could hear both sides of a conversation between the Trooper and Craig when the Trooper was nearby on VHF. I always hear both sides on DTRS 8104 when I'm in running around in the car up there. With the change, we'll have to see if Troopers still broadcast on VHF as well. Or maybe a repeater converts their VHF transmission to digital and then puts it on the DTRS? I don't know. There is about a second-and-a-half delay between the DTRS and VHF. I'll pay close attention when I go up on Thursday and see...

Question: Would I ever hear a patched Denver CSP dispatch talking to cars on Craig dispatch, wether DTRS or VHF, under any circumstances?

Thanks!
Rob

rfburns

RFsponge said:
Or maybe a repeater converts their VHF transmission to digital and then puts it on the DTRS? Question: Would I ever hear a patched Denver CSP dispatch talking to cars on Craig dispatch, wether DTRS or VHF, under any circumstances?Rob
If a car answers on VHF you will not hear them on DTR. You will just hear the dispatch side on DTR. I haven't ever heard Denver on the 4B TG. When a 4B car wants to talk with Denver they go to a Dist. 6 TG. I have heard W Colo cars talk to Denver on State Ops 1.

RFsponge

rfburns said:
If a car answers on VHF you will not hear them on DTR. You will just hear the dispatch side on DTR. I haven't ever heard Denver on the 4B TG. When a 4B car wants to talk with Denver they go to a Dist. 6 TG. I have heard W Colo cars talk to Denver on State Ops 1.

OK. That makes sense. Do all the 4B Troopers have two radios then? VHF as a backup? It has been a while since I've heard a Trooper on VHF...

rfburns

RFsponge said:
Do all the 4B Troopers have two radios then? VHF as a backup?
As far as I know all 4B cars still have VHF. When there is an incident on the 4B TG taking up a lot of air time, they move all other 4B traffic including DOW, Parks, BLM etc., to VHF. I don't understand why they move to VHF instead of CRCC 6.

RFsponge

rfburns said:
By Craig simulcast, you mean VHF on Grouse, Buffalo or Mines, Walton etc? I wasn't thinking VHF. I didn't think VHF transmissions were any different than DTR. I'll have to turn VHF on and see.

I had an incorrect freq earlier in this thread. Just got back from a couple days up there and the Craig simulcast is on 154.755, at least that's the loud and clear one I hear in Grand County. TG 8104 was normal too. Didn't hear any Summit calls this time. One thing I did hear was a Trooper asking for help signing on to an MDT and the dispatcher told him his difficulties were due to him using a 4A car. Thought that was of interest...

rfburns

One 4A car showed up earlier this week. I forget if it is in Steamboat or Granby. There are also 2 4A Cpl's covering Rangely about 5 days a week because Rangely and Meeker don't have a Trooper. I believe there is a new Trooper in training in Meeker. Maybe soon there will be no more 2 hour ETE's to crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.