Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Can the pro-96 or pro-2096 be reband to get in the 700mhz? If so how can I do it or what do I need to do? Thanks, Don

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Aw geez!

Using Don Starr's Win96 programming software you can enable "extended frequencies" which will allow reception of the 700 MHz band. Unfortunately the radios will not track on 700 MHz due to firmware limitations of the radios.

Yes uniden is an option if you have a nice solid signal or mega gain antenna however for anyone listening at a distance, like myself, they fall short on 700/800 in the reception department. There are quite a few people that are experiencing this so uniden fanbois spare me the criticism OK.

Lay off of Erik. He has been very proactive to the cause. The problem is the company he works for not him personally so direct your displeasure to the marketing geniuses in Ft Worth.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
jeffreyinberthoud said:
You could ask erik to sell you a UNIDEN,or the new MRE'S comming out

Oh wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nevermind

The last time I checked, RadioShack Sells the UNIDEN Radios that can trunk 700. So why the comments Jeff?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Dudes, Spirit asked a legitimate question. It's been answered.
I get irritated by the tone of some comments, too. Anyone that's been around here or over at ScanColo for a while has witnessed my tantrums over the years. (Remember my comments regarding DougCo and secrecy?) So I'm not holding myself out as a role model. But I am asking my fellow scanner nuts on the list to not be so "nuts" over stuff we can't control. No need to make it personal!
This is a great list. Erik does an exceptional job maintaining it. Let's keep it that way!
I pledge to keep my comments professional. Anybody else?

n4voxgill

Silent Key
someone with a Pro96/2096 with the expanded frequency needs to check this system for it may work as long as the 700 MHz frequency is not the control channel. It is sure worth a shot to try.

luke-1

I can't even count the number of things that are Wrong with this thread
His question was answered (kinda)
Start a new one and let's try again

luke-1

On a more professional note-

I have been watching the radio ID's very close for the last couple of months.

It appears they are very close to having all the radios in the metro area upgraded for the actual "rebanding" process.

Douglas County Schools and Arapahoe SO still have some work to do, but they're close.

Not to say that the rebanding will happen as soon as they are done with the radios, but I bet it won't be much longer until we see new frequencies start appearing on tower sites.

bayrisch

Rebanded Frequency Range

What will be the frequency range that the public safety agencies will operate in once rebanding is complete? Right now I have two good antennas, one has a center frequency of about 850Mhz, the other is 800Mhz. Will rebanding put everybody in the 700Mhz spectrum and if so, where?

Mark
Parker, CO

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
bayrisch said:
What will be the frequency range that the public safety agencies will operate in once rebanding is complete? Right now I have two good antennas, one has a center frequency of about 850Mhz, the other is 800Mhz. Will rebanding put everybody in the 700Mhz spectrum and if so, where?

Mark
Parker, CO

Mark, some of the newer DTRS sites will be added in the 700MHz range as you can see with Kiowa, Ft Lupton, Gun Barrel, North Thornton etc but a majority of the other sites which all will be rebanded will remain in the 800's as evidenced by the new control channel of 853.700 for site 120.

Jim<

bayrisch

Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim,

I also looked over on Wikipedia and answered some of my own questions:

After rebanding, Public Safety will have exclusive use of the 851 - 854 MHz range. ESMR's will have exclusive use of the 862 - 869 MHz range, and both public safety and low-power SMR's will share the 854 - 860 MHz spectrum.

I'm hoping that not a lot of it will fall into the 700Mhz band. When I occassionally see a control channel operating at 760-770Mhz, I can tell the difference in signal degradation, using an 850Mhz antenna.

Mark

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While some agencies are migrating (have migrated) to some 700 MHz frequencies, that is not part of rebanding. Every agency that has moved to 700 will have to move again to another part of 700 due to a recent FCC decision that relocates the public safety segment in 700. I would expect agencies currently in the process of putting up 700 MHz sites to hold off until the dust settles.

kc0kp

700 Mhz rebanding

UPMan said:
While some agencies are migrating (have migrated) to some 700 MHz frequencies, that is not part of rebanding. Every agency that has moved to 700 will have to move again to another part of 700 due to a recent FCC decision that relocates the public safety segment in 700. I would expect agencies currently in the process of putting up 700 MHz sites to hold off until the dust settles.

Actually, 700 will be rebanding too. The FCC is moving the two Public Safety bands adjacent to each other. The lower portion goes up 1 Mhz and the upper down 3 Mhz. It will be paid for by the successful bidder for block D hybrid public safety/ civilian wide band block that Google has shown a great interest in. This is being fast tracked by the FCC.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the frequencies in 700 will be moving, but that is not part of the "Reconfiguration Order" currently in effect (and commonly referred to as "rebanding.") No system will move from their current 800 MHz channels to a 700 MHz channel as a result of rebanding.

kc0kp

700 Mhz rebanding

Today was the last day to put in service any 700 Mhz radios that will be paid for in the 700 Mhz rebanding. Today was also the last day to apply for a waiver from the FCC to delay 700 rebanding. The timetable is going to be much faster than 800 Mhz and may actually be accomplished before 800 is done.

MMIC

kc0kp said:
The timetable is going to be much faster than 800 Mhz and may actually be accomplished before 800 is done.

Given that there are only a small handful of systems out there (State of Colorado, State of Louisiana, and State of Michigan) with a handful of sites and radios using 700 MHz, it would only make sense that the 700 MHz rebanding would go much quicker, and probably be completed before 800 MHz.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, FCC allocated $10M for relocating current licensees in 700 MHz. Compare this to the $2.5B allocated for 800 MHz rebanding. $ in this case is a good analog to both timeline and complexity.

But we're going to have to start referring to things as 700 Rebanding and 800 Rebanding in order to keep things straight when we discuss. Maybe, since the 700 is a smaller project, we could call it "scootching" (as in "we're just scootching them over a little bit").

:)

dsmall

Erik- I have a new 96 and it seems to scan the banks very, very slow compared to my other RS scanners. Being my first try with the digital and having it loaded up (thanks to my Radio Shack friends) with frequencies from throughout the Metro area, is this normal? It seems to take up to 4 seconds to scan a bank before moving to the next? Also, I live in Parker and with my 97, I was able to listen to a very busy Denver fire/police, now with the 96, that activity is very low with the same antenna and location for my set-up. Sorry for the barrage of questions, but just want to get it right. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.