RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Colorado Radio Discussion Forum

Colorado Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Colorado.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Greetings from Colorado Springs

Hi,
My name is Jim and I have been in monitoring (remember that term?) since 1974.
Started with a tunable radio that had a new fangled feature...a squelch control, back when Colorado Springs PD had 4 channels, but used 2.
3 xtal controlled and 5 programmables later, now I am sitting semi-perplexed with my Christmas gift a GRE-500, pretty good wife, huh?
Former EMT,EMD, 911 call taker, Fire and Ambulance dispatcher. Now, a certainly less than exciting career in computer tech work. OK, OK so my excitment bar is sorta set high!

Jimmn, or any one else.
How do you get passed the 32 freq TSYS limit on the GRE?
Duplicating the TGRP's on another TSYS to get the balance of CC's and alternate CC's here in El Paso county, really chews up the memory.
I think I might be missing something.

Happy 2008 to all.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim13
Hi,
My name is Jim and I have been in monitoring (remember that term?) since 1974.
Started with a tunable radio that had a new fangled feature...a squelch control, back when Colorado Springs PD had 4 channels, but used 2.
3 xtal controlled and 5 programmables later, now I am sitting semi-perplexed with my Christmas gift a GRE-500, pretty good wife, huh?
Former EMT,EMD, 911 call taker, Fire and Ambulance dispatcher. Now, a certainly less than exciting career in computer tech work. OK, OK so my excitment bar is sorta set high!

Jimmn, or any one else.
How do you get passed the 32 freq TSYS limit on the GRE?
Duplicating the TGRP's on another TSYS to get the balance of CC's and alternate CC's here in El Paso county, really chews up the memory.
I think I might be missing something.

Happy 2008 to all.
No need to program the alternate CC's as they don't switch very often and remember when programming CC's less is better so you should only need four or five from a stationary location maybe a few more when you go mobile.

But you only have 12 CC's on the El Paso County P25 system and only one DTRS CC (Cheyenne Mtn) that you really need.

Jim<
Old 01-13-2008, 2:44 PM

Default southern colorado listener

Live in NM just over the line. I travel for work up to Pueblo frequently and cover the area from Gardner to Trinidad as well.
Old 01-14-2008, 9:45 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Travis from Aurora here. I'm on and off with listening w/ my BC296D as time permits. Mainly listen to Denver, Aurora, Metcom, and Douglas Co Fire, and occasionally MilAir at Buckley.

I started listening back in the mid 80's with a Bearcat 4 crystal radio in the Chicago area. I've had many radios over the years, and I know this is bad, but I can't remember all the model numbers! Part of me still loves the simplicity of a crystal radio, but now I'm also intrigued, and most of the time frustrated, with the newer and newest of radios the come on the market! All in all, listening is something I enjoy and plan on doing for the rest of my life...if technology will permit

"The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten."
Old 01-15-2008, 8:31 PM

Hi all!
My name is Scott, I live in Lakewood and I'm a dispatcher for Englewood (Home of some of the ugliest fire equipment, apparently). I found this site about 2 years ago and I've been lurking ever since. I don't have a scanner, I just listen to DTRS talk groups at work. I use the Colorado forums to find out what's going on technologically and legislatively with my job. Unfortunately, just about all my co-workers are happy with the fact that they push a button and it works, and when it doesn't, just call for help.

I also lurk the breaking news forum to see how any events I work sound to you guys. If you guys can make sense of what I dispatch, I figure I've done a pretty good job.

...I always thought Jim was a reporter or something like that...

-Scott
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Gary from Denver. Monitoring the action since 67. First started on a Dumont TV with a tunable vhf radio listening to the Newark NJ Riots. I have used Sonar, EF Johnson crytsal radios in the early days. Currently scanning with a Pro-96.
Old 01-16-2008, 6:34 PM

How great is this forum? We have some current dispatchers, some current and former Fire fighters. Current and Former Cops, and a ton of experts on the field of radios. How cool is it that we can have 3 scanner meetings in 3 different areas of the state, and all three will be well attended?

Those of you that lurk..please feel free to post the people here are great. If they can put up will all my stupid questions, you have nothing to fear!
Old 01-17-2008, 6:48 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Grand Junction here. Monitor UHF/VHF public safety, commercial, and ham, as well as DTR in Mesa, and to a lesser degree Delta, and Montrose Counties. If I am awake, there is a radio(s) on somewhere near me. Also use several different radios at my job daily.
Old 02-12-2008, 7:35 PM

Ok new people here's your chance to check in, tell us who you are. What you like to listen too, you know all the good stuff!
Sponsored links

Old 02-12-2008, 9:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Hello from K4XB

Greetings to all:

I am Steve (Scotty) aka K4XB. Started with the Denver Police Transmitter (now EEB) in 1987. Currently supervise grave and swing techs at DIA. I have my trusty M/A Com P7100 portable for listening to Denver and DIA PST Systems.
Also:
Heathkit SB-301 receiver (1966)
Heathkit SB-401 transmitter (1967)
Heathkit SB-200 linear amplifier (1965)
Heathkit 2060A antenna tuner (1982)
US Army Signal Corps Model 19 Teletype (1949)

73 DE K4XB

Last edited by K4XB; 02-12-2008 at 11:03 PM..
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 AM

Default It's a girl!

was hooked on scanning by my mother, there was always a scanner going in the background. She would give me her old scanner when she bought a new one. Can anyone relate? Used to put the old scanner in the freezer to make the electronics work better. Ice Cream, tater tots, scanner lol. Stopped listening when systems became trunked and the scanners for trunked systems were just coming out and very expensive. Found live scanner feeds on the internet and became hooked again. Purchased GRE PSR-600 3 weeks ago and can't turn it off! I am a nurse at Denver Health. Live in Aurora. Monitor Denver, Arapaho Cnty, Jefferson Cnty, Littleton and Aurora. Favorites are EMS & ambulance & Life Flight & Zoo.

Kirsten
Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Hi all,

Brian in Frederick, just have a minute, I dispatched for Pridemark for a couple of years, got out of it, I listen to mostly Arvada/Westy, CSP, Weld PD South (BC 785 and 796) and Boulder Cty. (Kenwood TK 280's) at home. I have Jeffco, Arapahoe, Douglas-SO's dispatch only programmed in and listen in occasionally as well as AMR. I listen to Boulder Cty and Pridemark, Northglenn Amb. and ADCOM simulcast on the road (Kenwood TK 790 and TK 790/890 DB) which is more often than not.
Old 02-13-2008, 9:24 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok, you talked me into this...

Started playing radios in the (Ohhh this makes me feel old) 1950s with a Hallicrafter short wave radio that was a hand-me down from my Grandfather. Dad and I build a pair of channel 14 walkie talkies from a kit in the 60s. Graduated to 4 watt radios by the end of that decade. Traded a SSB with 15Kc slider and high rocks (if you don't know what I just said, good for you, if you do know what I said, don't admit anything) for a 4 channel FM unit with local crystals in it early in the 70s. I talked dad into sharing the cost of a Bearcat 101 programmable scanner that was enjoyed by the males of the household but generally turned down when we were not looking.
Since then life has not been complete without at least one set of flashing lights near where I am at any given time.
Current inventory.
BC 996T
Pro 96
BC 796 Internet feed
BC 785 Internet Feed
Winradio 3000i
Winradio G-303i
Winradio 1500e
Icom ICR-1000
Several Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and Alinco tranceivers that will receive most of the analog spectrum.

Hmmm I think I just saved thousands in Shrink fees on why I don't have a real life......

From the Grand Junction Area.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Default Hi

hi there, been into radio for about 7 years now. Listen to most of the metro stuff but primarily Aurora and Denver

Last edited by Jacksmolten; 02-13-2008 at 10:30 PM..
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Hi my name is Rich, athough I live in Omaha, Ne, 542 road miles East of Brighton, where I grew up at, I still keep up with what is going on along the front range over scandever.net.

Been at this since purchasing my first Radio Shack Pro 55 10-channel crystal controlled scanner at Al's electronics in Brighton back in 1991.

I currently have in my posession a RadioShack Pro 96, Uniden BC60XLT, and Motorola Radius GM 300.

I use the GM300 to stream Railroad Radio communications over Railroadradio.net.
Pro 96 to monitor Omaha Police and Fire Comms.
BC60XLT for various purposes.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Paul in Lakewood. Back to scanning *again* after being away for a couple years.
Started scanning about 25 years ago with an old Bearcat 10 channel crystal scanner with crystals for District 1, District 4 and District 6, Lakewood PD, Bancroft Fire and Flight for Life.

I am currently working for the Fed as a Linux Systems Administrator.

Currently scanning with
pro-96
pro-97
pro-164
I listen to west metro mainly. Lakewood, Wheatridge, Arvada, Westy, West Metro Fire, Denver. Now also listening to Jeffco, Broomfield, Adcom, Arapahoe, Douglas on the Pro-96.

Last edited by ch40n1k; 02-17-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Old 02-17-2008, 1:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Terry in Palmer Lake, CO (Northern El Paso County)

I've been an avid scanner listener for about 33 years (mid 70's) and a Ham radio operator since 1983. I've lived in Colorado for about 5 years, before that WA, OR, ID, and NE. Over the years have volunteered with: Search & Rescue, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, ARES, RACES, MARS, Skywarn Tornado Spotter, and Shares Radio Network. Currently not active however, as I spend most of my time with my 2 year old daughter.
I work as a Software Engineer in the DTC, so I get to monitor the scanner on the long commute.

I rarely go anywhere without a radio. I monitor 800 Mhz DTRS Fire, Sheriff, SAR, EMS activities in Douglas, Arapahoe, and Jeffco. Plus, 800 Mhz in Colorado Springs / El Paso County using the PRO-96 and R2500 (with P25 module). I also keep an ear on the Railroad VHF channels, as a lot of activity here in Palmer Lake. Recently got active with APRS and running my own Digi repeater.

Radio Shack PRO-96
Radio Shack PRO-2021
Radio Shack PRO-90
Icom IC-R2500
Kenwood TH-F6A
Icom IC-Q7A
Icom IC-2100H
Icom IC-208H
Old 02-27-2008, 9:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up Roll call

Hi everyone,
Minor here, K7YJ, located in Fort Collins.
I've been listening to VHF since Heathkit came out with a portable VHF tunable receiver and one XTAL freq too, in the early 70's! Dang, that dates me!
I monitor Fort Collins and Loveland PD/FD and turn on other Larimer county freq's as well as the DTRS talk groups here in the north as I need to. Travel with a motor home, so glad that RR is around as well as Pro-96/2096 as PSR-500 so I can reprogram as I move about.
Great idea of having a North Gathering!
-----
Pro-96, 2096, PSR500, BC780XLT
Old 03-09-2008, 7:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Bill Here, I'm a truck driver for RSC and live downtown Denver. I have the Uniden 250 (2) and the 785. I monitor Denver and the Metro Net channels and also stream Denver on the internet at http://scancolorado.com. There are still some areas of the state we don't have coverage for, if anyone is interested, please let us know and hop on board !

We have some awesome people here in Colorado who are very knowledgeable about the different radio systems and the different scanners and I'm one of the fortunate ones to know most of them.
Uniden 250, PSR 500(2)
Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm Eric. I live in Pueblo and have had scanners for about 10 years or so. I work as an EMT in the local ER and am a Criminal Justice major at the community college. Trying to save up for a digital scanner. most PD/fire/SO freqs. are all still analog, so most scanners work.

Tags
montrose, sticky