• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Laird 1/4 wave on a Backrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARTVANDALAY

Good afternoon, I work as a mechanic for a relatively small fleet (25). I have been using the Laird 1/4 wave antenna with a spring on almost all of our equipment. I have to install a radio on a new F-250, and they do not want the antenna through the roof on this truck. It does have a standard Backrack, so I was thinking about mounting it there. I have never attempted this, so I was wondering if the performance would be acceptable from a Backrack mounted antenna (ground plane). I only know the basics about radios, so that's why I'm here. Thank you in advance. The radio going in is likely going to be a 40W CM300 or a PM400, on VHF around 151 Mhz

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
I have mounted VHF 3db gain and low band antennas on "L" brackets 1/4 inch bolts with "L" on the inside of bracket on the bottom rail the one that mounts to the bed using a sealed/shielded mount (Tessco 436486) to prevent rust etc. And have had good luck. if it wasn't so dark now i would get a picture from my truck to show you. I have done this 15 times or more for people and haven't had any issues with grounding or swr's

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did this on a truck once, and it worked. It is not ideal, but it will work fine. BackRack makes brackets for their racks that have the necessary 3/4 inch hole for the NMO mounts. A 1/4 wave antenna would work fine, just make sure its at the top of the rack and in the clear. Anytime you get the antenna down below surrounding metal, performance is going to suffer. I'd suggest making sure the rack is well grounded to the sheet metal. Running a piece of braid from the rack to the sheet metal might help performance and make it easier to tune, might not, but it won't hurt.

Center of the truck roof is preferred, but I understand some don't want a hole punched in the roof of a brand new truck. Just make sure you add a disclaimer to it when you install the antenna. The owner/driver should not expect it to work as well as an antenna mounted on the truck roof. Range and performance may suffer a bit since the ground plane is not ideal at your frequency.

http://backrack.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4 Down near the bottom of the page. Likely you could fabricate this on your own easier/cheaper, but at least this gives you a good idea. One thing to consider is that since it's likely going to be out on the edge, you need to make the mount strong enough for getting hit by a branch, or someone using it as a tie down point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.