• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low profile VHF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Anybody have a suggestion for a low-profile VHF antenna. I'm talking about the small antennas that are only 2-4 inches tall. Are any of them any better than the others? I will be using it on a fixed frequency, so wide bandwidth is not required. NMO mount would be a plus.

Thanks.

I know one person who tried it. It was used primarily on 1 fire channel, and a couple of others within 4mhz.

To quote him, "It sucked". He went back to the 18 inch whip. Apparently the type works well in the 450 and above range.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The Phantom Elite in VHF looks like a half football. It is OK at best.I have one department that uses them only because they keep damaging a roof mounted 1/4 on their Explorers on a low garage door. But nothing beats a 1/4 wave. The UHF Phantom Elite looks like a small shark fin. I use one and have no issues in UHF

methusaleh

I know one person who tried it. It was used primarily on 1 fire channel, and a couple of others within 4mhz.

To quote him, "It sucked". He went back to the 18 inch whip. Apparently the type works well in the 450 and above range.

I concur. Super narrow tuning on the VHF low-pro antennas, we are talking 2MHz if you are lucky. 4MHz would be generous.

UHF are much more forgiving, I have even seen some with claims of gain. I guess they could fit a decent sized 1/2 wave or so piece of wire in there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OP says single frequency, so narrow bandwidth shouldn't be an issue unless it's a repeater with really w-i-d-e offset.

I'd concur, everyone I know that has tried one has given up and gone back to quarter wave. If you really want one of these, go name brand.
Most of these won't run high power, usually 50 watts are less.

AK9R

Super Moderator
It'll be on a simplex frequency at less than 50 watts.

I looked at the installation instructions for the Laird Phantom Elite on VHF. Getting the bayonet mount lined up properly with the vehicle looks like it could be a little fiddly.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The few I've looked at used a standard 3/4 inch hole. You needed access to the underside to tighten down the nut.
Bonus is you can always swap it out with an NMO mount.

Or, just go with one of the antennas that uses the NMO mounts.

I've never installed one. I've talked to a few guys that have used them and asked for feedback. None of it was good, so they couldn't really provide any recommendations.

I've used them on 800MHz and they work fine. Comparable to a 1/4 wave.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
My only experience with these in VHF-Hi was when they were in their infancy, so it may not be relevant.

An ISD "had" to have these on their fleet of buses, long story short, they were swapped for 1/4 wave whips within a few weeks.

Surprisingly the low profiles I've done for VHF-Lo worked quite well, once you got them out in the open so you could tune them. But they take up a lot of real estate.

AK9R

Super Moderator
The few I've looked at used a standard 3/4 inch hole.
Check the installation instructions for the Laird Phantom Elite VHF. You replace the standard NMO nut with a special nut that has the bayonet mount for the antenna. The slots on the bayonet nut have to lined up with the vehicle so that when you attach the antenna, it lines up with the vehicle. Not impossible to do--just would seem to take a little more time to install compared to a conventional NMO mount. And, because of the special nut, swapping back and forth between the Phantom Elite and a conventional whip is a little more difficult.

I hate banging a 1/4 whip on the bottom of the garage door every time, but that may be the best answer. Besides, what could be more intimidating on the highway than a black Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition with a whip antenna and a lo-pro 800 MHz antenna on the roof? "Do you really want to pass me? Really?" ;)

prcguy

I have a couple of Laird/Antenex TRABT1420 VHF low profile antennas and they simply screw onto a standard NMO mount and the frequency adjustment is easy access on the side. The performance is way down from a full size 1/4 wave and the BW is really narrow, about 1MHz at best.

I can loan one to the OP for testing if he pays shipping and I have versions that cover 142 to 160MHz and 150 to 168MHz.
prcguy

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
As with all antennas of this type you'll need a good ground plane, more than you'd expect, to tune properly and get the reflected power to a decent level.

I'm dealing right now with a Sinclair VHF transit antenna, kinda the same thing. Mfg states MINIMUM 48"X48" ground plane.

12dbsinad

Check the installation instructions for the Laird Phantom Elite VHF. You replace the standard NMO nut with a special nut that has the bayonet mount for the antenna. The slots on the bayonet nut have to lined up with the vehicle so that when you attach the antenna, it lines up with the vehicle. Not impossible to do--just would seem to take a little more time to install compared to a conventional NMO mount. And, because of the special nut, swapping back and forth between the Phantom Elite and a conventional whip is a little more difficult.

I hate banging a 1/4 whip on the bottom of the garage door every time, but that may be the best answer. Besides, what could be more intimidating on the highway than a black Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition with a whip antenna and a lo-pro 800 MHz antenna on the roof? "Do you really want to pass me? Really?" ;)

Look at a Stico flexible antenna. I run this on my pickup as I have low overhead door. You can bend the thing all the way flat without damage and even tie it in a knot

STI-Co | Antenna Manufacturer | Antenna Systems | Antenna Accessories

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
even the oil filter style can VHF are horrible even tuned. The Bayonet base for the Elite is not hard to do its just needs to be lined up its actually easy. The sti-co flexi whip is nice and works great though its 2X the price of a regular 1/4 wire whip

AK9R

Super Moderator
I forgot about Sti-Co. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll give a regular 1/4 whip a shot and see how it works out.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

My pickup doesn't fit in the garage, so not an issue for me. My wife's car is a Ford Escape, and it's got a 1/4 wave VHF on the top. It hits the garage door. No where near as tall as a suburban, but still, it hits. After doing this for 5 years, I've seen no issues at all with the antenna or the mount. Maybe a slight mark on the inside of the garage door where it hits, but that's it.

I did briefly consider one of these low profile antennas for hers, but everyone (and I mean -everyone-) I talked to who had tried them had referred to it as a "waste of money", and each and every one of them had taken the antenna off and replaced it with a quarter wave. I was offered a few of these old antennas because no one felt they were worth anything more than the trash can.

Most people won't even notice a 1/4 wave whip on top of a vehicle at highway speeds. Personally, I think the 1/4 wave antennas are "lower profile" than the soup can sitting on top of the vehicle.
If image is really a concern, get one of the Stico boxes that allow you to use the AM/FM radio antenna. We've got one of those on the chief's car and it works well enough.

Other option would be something like a Panorama Antenna "shark fin" with the VHF whip. Looks like a modern AM/FM Satellite radio antenna. They'll provide a port for cell, 2.4GHz, GPS and a stud that permits installing a whip of your choice. Not cheap, but it would likely blend it better than anything else (other than the Stico).

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Sti-co factory style OEM antennas do not use the factory antenna. They use a custom modified OEM with the matching coupler box. We remove the factory one and return it with the car so when its changed over it can be put back to normal. They also start at $300+ depending on the vehicle

12dbsinad

Sti-co factory style OEM antennas do not use the factory antenna. They use a custom modified OEM with the matching coupler box. We remove the factory one and return it with the car so when its changed over it can be put back to normal. They also start at $300+ depending on the vehicle

I was looking at one of these for the wife's vehicle. It looked pretty neat except when I found out the price! I hope the performance is good!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
the performance of the sti-co is very good. It is used in undercover vehicles by most of the .Gov agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.