• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Folded Dipole Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
What options are available to align the array of elements in a folded dipole antenna? Must the array be all pointing in the same direction or each 90 degrees offset from the next?

Could a folded dipole antenna be setup so that it provides 180 degree coverage with each element roughly 45 degrees offset from the next?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I assume this is for VHF/UHF frequencies. A folded dipole (or any dipole) radiates broadside to the length of the dipole. At VHF/UHF frequencies the dipole is mounted vertically and can have several dipoles mounted above/below each other on the same mast connected by a phasing harness. Each dipoles radiation pattern is omni-directional. Pointing each dipole in a different direction around the mast can change the radiation pattern from omni-directional to directional. This type of antenna is found in most commercial radio antenna installations.
BB

Last edited:

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
This is a commercial application VHF base repeater antenna with 4 elements.

prcguy

On your 4-bay dipole array its typical to get 9dBD gain in a 90 to 120 degree pattern if all the dipoles are lined up on one side. If you stagger the elements 90deg so one is aimed north, one east, one south and one west it will give you an omni pattern with about 6dBD gain. You can also put a pair on each side 180deg apart and make a bi-directional pattern.
prcguy

This is a commercial application VHF base repeater antenna with 4 elements.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I think this is the radiation pattern of the way I currently have my elements aligned. Correct me if I am wrong because I could be reading the description wrong.

60f2d641d150105b30f9897ca461590e.jpg

Cheers,

Brandon

prcguy

If all the elements are lined up on one side of the mast AND you have the elements spaced 3/8 wavelength out from the mast, that will be your pattern. You didn't mention the brand of dipole array and to my knowledge Telewave is the only brand that lets you space the elements at different distances out from the mast to further modify the pattern.

Most dipole array antennas have the dipoles fixed at much less than 1/4 wavelength and closer to 1/8 wavelength from the mast and that is not adjustable. That would give you a pattern different than what you posted but the east and west points will be similar and the north point will be filled in instead of degraded about 2dB like on the chart.
prcguy

I think this is the radiation pattern of the way I currently have my elements aligned. Correct me if I am wrong because I could be reading the description wrong.

60f2d641d150105b30f9897ca461590e.jpg

Cheers,

Brandon

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am using an RFS-340 antenna. The manufacture only provides the radiation pattern for directional and omni directional. However after making contact with the manufacture they said that the antenna could function like I have it setup, they just don't have a radiation pattern for that alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.