• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

5/8th Wave VHF Low Band Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongIslandHonker

FLRailMan Duplicate Account
Banned
Do they exist? I've searched high & low for a commercial grade 5/8ths wave vertical coaxial dipole cut specifically for 33.4 MHz & 46.46 MHz & the only thing close to what I believed could be what I needed at the Antenna Farm was the $600+ Commander antenna, a quick e-mail to them was a curt: "I don't know". Now I've purchased from them before so I understand & fully accept the prevailing mindset, what I don't get is an e-mail with follow up phone queries to Commander went totally unanswered, can anybody possibly assist me in this? Thanks in advance for your time, patience & knowledge.

The Volunteer Concept

cmdrwill

Look for a 1/4 wave coaxial dipole, that was most popular many years ago.

Some of the "5/8" over ground-plane type antennas are not made anymore.

prcguy

One single 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave ground plane or coaxial will not cover both frequencies very well, your only going to get a few MHz BW before efficiency falls off. There are some military antennas that work well across that range and more if you can find them surplus, look for a COM201B ground plane.
prcguy

cmdrwill

One single 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave ground plane or coaxial will not cover both frequencies very well, your only going to get a few MHz BW before efficiency falls off.
prcguy

Very good point Sir. Even a quarter of a mHz will be out of range on a low band antenna.

LongIslandHonker

Banned
Thanks all for your replies, first: My application is upgrading my existing Icom R-75 & Vertex Standard VX-5500 monitoring post with Andrew 1/2" hardline feeding four 5/8th's wave commercial grade low band dipoles for the maximum ground wave effect, skip & tropospheric ducting is a plus but not essential, the antennas need to be cut for 33.64 MHz & 46.46 MHz respectively (Pretty much center of the 33.42 MHz to 33.98 MHz & 46.06 MHz to 46.5 MHz Fire Service bandplans) I've been keeping a sharp eye out for COM201B dipoles in mint condition tuned to 40 MHz as a cost savings factor for the R-75's, so far no good, I was informed that the Commscope DB201-L, Kathrein 717-758, Sinclair SG101, Kreco CP-40A & FGP-40A & Antenna Experts AG-50 antennas are 5/8th's wave over ground plane styles which I am unable to either confirm or deny at this time, either way those antennas utilize ground planes requiring longitudinal space requirements I cannot spare at my listening post, again thanks all & enjoy your weekend.

ipfd320

Banned
on the Skip / Tropospheric Ducting Forum KKN50 VHF Low Band Logs He is Using a G5RV DiPole-According to His Logs He has a Good Coverage for What You are Looking For-and There Cheap Too---DX Engineering and a Few Other Sites are a Good Start...Good Luck

SCPD

QRT
Try https://fmbroadcastantenna.com/index.html they would probably build you one. the have a stock 6 meter antenna. As for the 33 mhz you could probably take a Super Penetrator CB antenna and shorten it, that's what forest service here used to do for 31 mhz. But of course these are groundplanes

Last edited:

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
I've never done exactly what you want to do, but I have made broadband dipoles by paralleling two wires of slightly different lengths.

If I was going to improvise an antenna like what you need, to start with, I would stay away from 5/8 wave as it would be harder to do an the extra gain isnt all that much.

I would stuff several 12 gauge insulated wires of different lengths ranging from 1/4 wave at 30 to 1/4 wave at 50 Mhz inside a PVC pipe, and make a ground plane for it that was good for the lowest frequency (around 8 feet?).

cmdrwill

We actually had a commercial ground plane antenna that has two elements one for 47 and the other was for 6 meters. Worked very well.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
We actually had a commercial ground plane antenna that has two elements one for 47 and the other was for 6 meters. Worked very well.

I could see using two open dipoles and either a diplexer and/or Motorola's diplexing chart.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Feed them from the same point and no diplexer is needed. each one will take whatever current it is willing to accept based on it's impedance at a given frequency.

LongIslandHonker

Banned
Sorry all for my delayed response, I've been busy taking ARC disaster training courses for the upcoming hurricane season which NOAA has tentatively predicted four (4) count em (four) fairly dangerous hurricanes. The VX-5500's have been upgraded & are receiving ground wave signals quite satisfactory, no skip yet but that's a bonus if it comes. The R-75 setup needs more work antenna wise, I am going to attempt a DIY wideband trap vertical dipole like the hams have on HF with 10, 15, 20 & 40 meter style traps, again thanks all for your very informative replies & have a very happy & safe Memorial Day .

Status
Not open for further replies.