RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 1:13 PM

Default Telewave ANT150F2-No way 60 inches

Among the antennas I am considering to install is the Telewave ANT150F2. My problem is how could a collinear at these frequencies be only 60 inches long? Using the shortest length frequency-174, two half-wave elements work out to 64 and 1/2 inches and this does not even include element spacing. It defies physics. Is this published length of 60 inches a misprint? Is there a new collinear technology out there that I am not aware of? Serious question. Is Telewave lying? Telewave is usually pretty truthful about their antenna specs.
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2017, 1:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do you have a link to it?
Is this a VHF only antenna or is it available in different bands? Maybe the dimensions are wrong.
If it's really just a VHF dipole antenna it could easily be 60 inches or less.
If it's really a collinear made from transmission line sections then you have to take into account the velocity factor of the transmission line. The electrical length of the elements could be about 2/3 the size of the free space length. Also there is no element spacing on one of those, the elements are connected together.

Last edited by nd5y; 11-04-2017 at 1:34 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 1:36 PM

Have not figured out how to hotlink yet. Still fairly new at this RR thingy. But here is the link-https://www.telewave.com/product/ant150f2-omnidirectional-collinear-antenna-148-174mhz/. Says VHF only and collinear.
Old 11-07-2017, 8:04 PM

Nd5y hit the nail squarely on the head
Old 11-07-2017, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Look at the VSWR plot. You'll see some variation in the baseline. The VSWR remains fairly low, but what you might notice is that as frequency changes, the phasing - and subsequently the electrical tilt - will change directing the major lobe either upward away from the horizon or downward. It can be fairly broadband nonetheless. This is probably a 5/8 over a 5/8 element at the center frequency.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:31 PM

So this is possibly a 1/2 over 1/2 or a 5/8 over 5/8 with a transmission line shortened because of the velocity factor? No spacing is required? I just never heard of that. Well, you live and learn.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 AM

I've opened a lot of antennas and have only seen the half wavelength in coax collinears in 5dBd size and up. Smaller ones are usually 1/2 or 5/8 wave elements made of wire with a pig tail or folded phasing coil.

I think 60in is too short for a half wave in coax or wire element type of collinear at VHF. The coax element types are a bit shorter but you usually have a 1/4 wave spike on top and a 1/4 wave decoupling section at the bottom, which woudl be much longer than 60in. A stacked 1/2 over 1/2 wave with phasing coil in wire would also be more than 60in long at VHF. The collinear description must be a typo.
prcguy
Old 11-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Yeah prc, my thinking was kind of along the same lines as yours. The collinear description, dbd figure or length must be a typo. But apparently others above say it is possible. Gee, so who am I to believe?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM

I often buy an antenna to cut it open and dissect. Maybe someone has a Telewave they want to cannibalize?
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowboy23 View Post
Yeah prc, my thinking was kind of along the same lines as yours. The collinear description, dbd figure or length must be a typo. But apparently others above say it is possible. Gee, so who am I to believe?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Like what most antenna manufacturers do, it's on a platform of colinear antennas but it's gain characteristics are that of a 5/8 wave. Could be a 1/4 over 1/2 but I don't know how well that would work out.
Old 11-26-2017, 8:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have an ANT150 on a site that was primary for a year on a public safety channel but was put into backup service when a 4-bay dipole was installed. It was a decent antenna and it was chosen because of its size, gain and semi-wide band performance. A 2-bay dipole was a tad bit better in my opinion (at th same site) then the ANT150 , but for the size and needs at the time, it was a good choice.

Have seen a local LMR installer lately using them as well for some low level commercial repeater sites and he has mentioned they are doing well and stealthiness of them.