RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 7:33 PM

Default 800MHz yagi vertical vs horizontal orientation

I just indoor installed a Wilson 301129 800-900MHz yagi for 800MHz SMR reception. It wants to be mounted horizontally, and when it it turned vertically, the signal drops out. Why is this happening, or is this expected? Very pleased with the performance vs the window mount 800MHz Wilson I was using previously. The target transmitter is in line with the antenna, about 15 miles away pointed about 90 degrees off of my location, so a tough signal to pull in.

The orientation and angle of direction was tuned on the scanner app showing the RSSI...don't laugh at my setup! :-P

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by Anderegg; 06-25-2018 at 7:39 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2018, 7:38 PM

On a side note...I lost my VHF reception when switching to this setup...is it possible to multicombine a second VHF antenna into the same scanner, without reducing the receive performance on 800MHz? Any time I test simply hooking two antennas up to the same BNC (T connector), the resulting performance is simply the RX of the lesser antenna, 800MHz antenna always taking the hit.

Paul
Old 06-25-2018, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just a guess but the metal lampshade is probably altering the RF characteristics of your YAGI.

Your YAGI is the worst antenna for VHF. You can combine two different antennas on different bands, but to do it right you need a diplexer, and they are not cheap. You'd be better off in the long run with a wide band discone or DPD Productions Omni-X scanner antenna.
Old 06-25-2018, 9:37 PM

I came to that orientation handheld, then clamped it in place...old window omni got 2 bars, horizontal as shown got three bars, vertical gets 1 bar. Unfortunately, I am on the bottom floor in an apartment, so mounting options are limited. My yagi is seeing the mountain through a slit basically, which is the best position I could find for signal, which happened to be next to the lamp. :-)

I have seen some diplexer dealies for VHF/UHF, but harder to find non HAM based ones that have 800MHz. Maybe they make commercial ones for use with APX7500 dual band radios? 800MHz is the primary RX for the scanner, just a small handful of VHF and low band frequencies that would be nice to receive as well.

Paul
Old 06-25-2018, 11:51 PM

Signals can bounce off buildings, hillsides, nearly anything. Once it bounces, all bets are off.

Commercial diplexers are out there, and VHF/UHF/800MHz models exist.
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2018, 2:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Signals can bounce off buildings, hillsides, nearly anything. Once it bounces, all bets are off.

Commercial diplexers are out there, and VHF/UHF/800MHz models exist.
I have a triplexer vhf, uhf, 700/800 from stridesburg it was not cheap but gets the job done. I use it in order to be able to TX and rx on one discontinued on all three bands.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Old 06-26-2018, 6:24 PM

Uhf signals will flip polarity every time they strike something.
You might get better reception by using it on a 45 degree angle in some situations.
You would be better off buying a small VHF/UHF tv antenna.
A 2 bay bowtie antenna is less than $20 bucks and covers 460-900.
Or you can buy a vhf/uhf antenna for less than $40