RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Commercial Radio Antennas

Commercial Radio Antennas - Please keep discussion related to professional, commercially used antennas and antenna systems for the two-way radio industry. Topics for the use of these antennas on amateur bands are accepted here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Stay away from all ham grade products and you will be fine.
For mobile antennas, Larsen is king.
For repeater use, dipoles are the way to go.
NEVER use a fiberglass antenna at the top of a tower unless you enjoy tower climbing.
Since the antenna is the most critical component of a radio system,
it never pays to go cheap on antennas.
Hams make that mistake all the time.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2018, 6:42 PM

I will just point out that I've got a commercial trunking system running a high quality omnidirectional fiberglass Stationmaster at the top of the tower, and it's been running since 1997. 20+ years, without a single trip up the tower.

I recently did replace a fiberglass omni at the top of another tower. It had been in service since 1984, but we only replaced it because we were doing some other tower work, and changing out that antenna became a preventative "freebie". We expect to get another 30+ years out of that one too.
Old 09-10-2018, 7:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just my experience, the fiberglass Station Master type antennas are good in some applications however, service lives will vary. For example, service life of on in the Permian Basin region may only be a decade or so due to the fact the dust bowl never ended in this part of Texas and New Mexico and the dust simply erodes the gel coat of the antennas until moisture permeates the fiberglass and it all disappears in a blinding flash from a lightning strike.

The DB-224 has always been plagued by harness issues, it's nothing new. Lately, the production of the Decibel style antennas was moved to Mexico and the physical phasing of the dipoles needs to be adjusted on most antennas now as they can be hit or miss at the current production facility. I've been using a lot of Telewave antenna products here lately (ANT450D and ANT150D variants).

For mobile antnennas, I've never had an issue with Laird or Larsen (I use them interchangibly, really whoever makes what I need). I also branch off to Sti-Co and Panorama when the application calls for it.

As far as mounts go, Laird or Larsen are who I tend to get them from. If I need to make a run longer than 17', I typically build my kits with Larsen NMOHF mounts and LMR195.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:42 PM

Yea, but your in PA and don't have any mountain top sites to speak of. Here in CA a low site can be 5,700ft and at one of our high sites you might need an oxygen tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy7268 View Post
I will just point out that I've got a commercial trunking system running a high quality omnidirectional fiberglass Stationmaster at the top of the tower, and it's been running since 1997. 20+ years, without a single trip up the tower.

I recently did replace a fiberglass omni at the top of another tower. It had been in service since 1984, but we only replaced it because we were doing some other tower work, and changing out that antenna became a preventative "freebie". We expect to get another 30+ years out of that one too.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCore25 View Post
I've been using a lot of Telewave antenna products here lately (ANT450D and ANT150D variants).
I just ordered an ANT450D for one of my sites. Haven't had a chance to install it yet. We're using a few older 150's and they've done pretty well.

Cheapest place I could find them in stock was "Antenna Farm" of all places. I haven't bought enough from Tessco in the last few years to get a lower discount.
Funny thing was, inside the Antenna Farm box was the antenna in a separate box, with what looked a lot like a Tessco stock tag on it. I guess he buys enough stuff to get the better discounts.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2018, 9:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
I just ordered an ANT450D for one of my sites. Haven't had a chance to install it yet. We're using a few older 150's and they've done pretty well.

Cheapest place I could find them in stock was "Antenna Farm" of all places. I haven't bought enough from Tessco in the last few years to get a lower discount.
Funny thing was, inside the Antenna Farm box was the antenna in a separate box, with what looked a lot like a Tessco stock tag on it. I guess he buys enough stuff to get the better discounts.
We use them for a lot of warehouses. Mount on the roof, pen for the feedline and typically have setups that cover an entire DC with ease. Can't say that about the Laird FG4500's that we are trying to break the sales reps from using.

I used one for a repeater project for a small town PD once. -6 degree electrical tilt in a 4 ANT150D config. My understanding is since that DB222 was replaced by the Telewave concoction there have not been any coverage issue in their jurisdiction.

My only complaint is that they don't make a true 800 MHz version as we are beginning to see some issues with using yagi's for 800 MHz control station antennas and many of the omni's simply don't cover 700 MHz and 800 MHz.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post

My last antenna from them also came with the Tessco number/box. My only complaint was that it took FOREVER to get, probably because it was out of stock at Tessco...or the shipping time from Tessco to The AF, then to me, or what have you.

I was not too happy about it.