FCC nixes DC prison cell phone jamming demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The FCC has reversed itself, denying the District of Columbia the right to run a cell phone jamming experiment in one of its jails. Meanwhile Congress is considering a bill that would give correctional facilities the green light on this practice.

The campaign to put the kibosh on prisoner cell phone use ran into an obstacle on Thursday: the Federal Communications Commission. In a reversal of an earlier decision, the agency has denied a request from the Washington, DC Department of Corrections (DCDOC) to run a demonstration of "directional jamming" equipment designed to block wireless phone calls made from inside jails.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) introduced the legislation on January 15. 24 Republicans and two Democrats have cosponsored the bill, which has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce and House Judiciary Committees.

Full Story: FCC nixes DC prison cell phone jamming demo - Ars Technica

Last edited by a moderator:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The last thing we need is routine jamming of ANYTHING. Good for the FCC. Can't believe the Republican party is trying to make this okay.

How about equipment to pinpoint illicit cellphones and throw their users into well-shielded solitary? Do we no longer search prisoners?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

bpckty1

I note the Kevin Brady is from Texas. A short time ago, one of the Texas state senators received a death threat via a cell phone from death row at the Texas Prison. A subsequent lock down of the prison system and search produced several cell phones and related equipment in several of the prison facilities. The FCC denied a test of jamming devices by TDCJ security. So, I can see why Mr. Brady introduced the legislation.

JoeyC

The last thing we need is routine jamming of ANYTHING. Good for the FCC. Can't believe the Republican party is trying to make this okay.

How about equipment to pinpoint illicit cellphones and throw their users into well-shielded solitary? Do we no longer search prisoners?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

The Democrats probably don't allow searching of prisoners as it infriges on their prison rights. :roll: Get real, this is not a Republican vs Democrat issue but an attempt to squelch an apparent problem that needs addressing within prisons. The proposal needs to be revised, but its intent is certainly valid.

mikepdx

How about equipment to pinpoint illicit cellphones and throw their users into well-shielded solitary?
Do we no longer search prisoners?

Quite a solution they propose.
Jam illicit communication devices.

Wouldn't the solution be to have an all-out, no-holds barred investigation
and find out just how the phones are making their way into prisons in the first place?

Cell phone jammer for prisons =
Were throwing up our hands.
We admit we have no idea how to stop the phones entering the prison.
The prisoners are a hella lot smarter than we are.
So we'll put this band-aid on the problem.

Since Cell Phones ARE admittedly getting into prisoner's hands,
the BIG QUESTION IS:
What else is getting into the prisoner's hands without the knowledge of Corrections??????

If I were a Corrections Officer working up-close with the prisoners, I'd be asking that question.

Last edited:

rfburns

The Democrats probably don't allow searching of prisoners as it infriges on their prison rights. :roll:
In general terms, Detention Officers cannot legally do strip searches except when certain conditions are met and cavity searches usually have to be done by a medical person. Specific laws may vary from state to state, but the basis is the U. S. Supreme Court.

APTN

Quite a solution they propose.
Jam illicit communication devices.

Wouldn't the solution be to have an all-out, no-holds barred investigation
and find out just how the phones are making their way into prisons in the first place?

Cell phone jammer for prisons =
Were throwing up our hands.
We admit we have no idea how to stop the phones entering the prison.
The prisoners are a hella lot smarter than we are.
So we'll put this band-aid on the problem.

Since Cell Phones ARE admittedly getting into prisoner's hands,
the BIG QUESTION IS:
What else is getting into the prisoner's hands without the knowledge of Corrections??????

If I were a Corrections Officer working up-close with the prisoners, I'd be asking that question.

Hopefully, not weapons.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Never mind all the political mumbo jumbo you guys have a nasty habit of getting into, let's make common sense a bit more common shall we? Cell phone jamming is illegal ACROSS THE BOARD and should remain so unless it is legalized also across the board. A cat can squeeze through an opening just big enough to get it's head into so if you create such a hole to let the head through you may expect the rest of the cat to show up on the other side eventually. In other words give them an inch and they take a mile... am I right or am I right?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Never mind all the political mumbo jumbo you guys have a nasty habit of getting into, let's make common sense a bit more common shall we? Cell phone jamming is illegal ACROSS THE BOARD and should remain so unless it is legalized also across the board. A cat can squeeze through an opening just big enough to get it's head into so if you create such a hole to let the head through you may expect the rest of the cat to show up on the other side eventually. In other words give them an inch and they take a mile... am I right or am I right?
And NOTHING you do will eliminate the physical existence of cell phones in jails so the better solution is to take away the signals that make them function.

ibagli

And NOTHING you do will eliminate the physical existence of cell phones in jails so the better solution is to take away the signals that make them function.

And, in many cases, the signals that make the prison staff's communication devices function.

EC-7

The phones are most likely entered into the jail/prison system by corrupt guards, as is all the other items that "mysteriously" make their way in, like drugs.
Everybody has their "buying" price, even guards, and some inmates have ways of getting what they want inside there.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Think solution, not status quo

And, in many cases, the signals that make the prison staff's communication devices function.
There is nothing anyone is going to do that will keep 100% of the phones out of prisons. But there are many things which can be done to make them useless. First of all, we're not talking about poorly designed or hacked cell phone jammers here, we're talking about broadcasting signals on specific frequencies which keep cell phones from 'registering'.

Next, if a prison is using a system which is somehow being interfered by cell phone frequencies, the system has a problem. If the issue is interference because of image frequencies or other technically understandable issues, then the prisons' frequencies (or those of nearby agencies) should be moved. I hear there's an entire new band (700 MHz) just waiting to be used (after 6/12/09).

kb2vxa

Banned
"And NOTHING you do will eliminate the physical existence of cell phones in jails..."

Well Clam would you mind explaining why even though it's completely beside the point?

rvictor

Cell phones and other contraband make their way into prisons and jails through visits and via corrupt staff. Their existence in those settings poses security risks for staff and other inmates as well as increasing the risk of escapes which put all of us at risk.

That said, the answer would seem to be better security at entry points, detection of contraband by signal detection and random searches rather than attempting to jam cell phone signals since jamming is destined to be less than totally effective and to adversely affect vital prison communications and those of nearby civilians.

Dick

kb2vxa

Banned
BINGO! I'll say this much, corruption has it's reward and inside a prison it can be just a bit unpleasant, they get what they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.