Man Jailed for police death threats over police radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

It is amazing what alcohol will do. I have to wonder 1. Why would he have a radio that is capable of broadcasting on the Police frequencies? 2. Is (was) he a licensed Amateur.
If you are going to own a radio such as the Wouxum KD-UV1P and you have your local law enforcement frequencies loaded into the radio, your should only have the receive frequency entered. This might keep you from doing something foolish. It is stories such as this that give the radio hobby a bad name.

Last edited:

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
“Earlier I was shown, to my horror, that when you enter a certain phrase into Google, a number of hits come up which show the radio codes,” Mr Bryant said.

he must not get on the internet very much. what cant you find on the internet these days?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I have to wonder 1. Why would he have a radio that is capable of broadcasting on the Police frequencies?
The article clearly states that he bought a "modified handheld radio" on eBay, and simply googled the appropriate tone/access code(s).

2. Is (was) he a licensed Amateur.
If you are going to own a radio such as the Wouxum KD-UV1P and you have your local law enforcement frequencies loaded into the radio, your should only have the receive frequency entered. This might keep you from doing something foolish. It is stories such as this that give the radio hobby a bad name.
It would appear that he bought that radio with the specific intention of using it to transmit over police frequencies.

I doubt he was a ham, you have to have some intelligence to pass the ham test. Not only was this guy stupid enough to transmit and threaten police officers over their own frequency, he was so stupid that he was transmitting all of this from his own house, with a handheld! :roll:

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
What a stupid idiot!!!!!

You dont take a radio AND ABUSE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!

Unreal :(

radioaustralia

VIC Database Admin
Database Admin
I have a copy of the audio if anyone would like to listen to this mans ludicrous behavior.

wuzafuzz

Haaaa!

That guy was almost as dumb as the fellow near Denver who was hitting airplanes with a laser. A green laser. The kind that shows the beam along the entire path, saying here I am. After the first night the cops knew to be watching, and he pointed them right to himself.

I never saw it in the news, but I know one of the pilots who was lased.

GrumpyGuard

The article clearly states that he bought a "modified handheld radio" on eBay, and simply googled the appropriate tone/access code(s).

It would appear that he bought that radio with the specific intention of using it to transmit over police frequencies.

I doubt he was a ham, you have to have some intelligence to pass the ham test. Not only was this guy stupid enough to transmit and threaten police officers over their own frequency, he was so stupid that he was transmitting all of this from his own house, with a handheld! :roll:

My questions were rhetorical in nature. You have to either be drunk or just have a screw loose to behave in this manner. :roll:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The Bright Ones

During my professional career in correctional managed care, I encountered quite a few simpletons. Although I know that many possessed average or above average intelligence, there were some who could not keep their mouths shut. Hence, the downfall of many offenders with antisocial personality disorder (psychopath) was related to bragging rights. Many were caught because they could not keep their mouths shut. In Texas, sending them to school was an enormous waste of time. Many Wardens believed that giving an offender an education helped reduce recidivism, but I know different. If an offender does not change his criminal thinking errors, they are likely to repeat their recalcitrant behavior. Here is a fine example of someone saying, "I am institutionalized, please, give me an excuse not to work."

Last edited:

DPD1

That guy was almost as dumb as the fellow near Denver who was hitting airplanes with a laser. A green laser. The kind that shows the beam along the entire path, saying here I am. After the first night the cops knew to be watching, and he pointed them right to himself.

Unfortunately that happens all the time now. But the good part would be getting to see the look on their face when they find out how serious the crime is.

K1EDH

I know that there used to be a VHF radio, (was mainly fir marine use), but you where able to "program" it to go on to other frequencies. I know this for a fact cause the fishing company I used to run for had them, and we programmed a "secret" channel so other boaters cold not hear us..... The frequency was..... The Stafford County, NH Sherrif's Dept.

And I ment to add..... we where on the same freq..... TX & RX.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
If this nut had a Ham ticket he won't have it for long.

And yes I would like to hear this guys rant over the air....please share if you can.

TrenchFeeder

That happened in Chicago as well, same exact situation

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
Easily available

I know that there used to be a VHF radio, (was mainly fir marine use), but you where able to "program" it to go on to other frequencies. I know this for a fact cause the fishing company I used to run for had them, and we programmed a "secret" channel so other boaters cold not hear us..... The frequency was..... The Stafford County, NH Sherrif's Dept.

And I ment to add..... we where on the same freq..... TX & RX.

You can buy one today on a number of Chinese wholesale sites. I was considering ordering a model with twin displays and works in the VHF and UHF bands. It can transmit on the frequencies of our local police and that is why I did not buy it. It gets good ratings from other ham operators who use it appropriately. The kicker is it is a well made radio, that comes with two Li-Ion batteries and is only $90 including shipping. I just don't want to own a radio that might get me into hot water.

Dugan

Tons of people own the puxings, wouxons, etc. Most of them can transmit all throughout the VHF and UHF range including public safety frequencies, and even into federal government spectrum. Anyone with $60 can own one, and the pl code the guy found was probably found on this website. I would imagine this is one reason why departments who have been on conventional VHF and UHF are happy to move to 700/800 mhz digital where this will all come to a permanent end.

I know of people who use these radios for GMRS, and even keep local public safety frequencies programmed in (minus repeater offset and pl so they can't ever transmit accidentally on the frequency), because they make great receivers. But it only takes one nut....

Status
Not open for further replies.