RadioReference Mentors

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Radio Reference, and its predecessor TrunkedRadio.net, has always relied on its members to lend a hand or to share their experience and knowledge with those newer members. Since 2004 the membership has grown to 470,000 plus members. Many of those members are new to the hobby and come here looking for help. Over the years, the staff has noticed that there are some members that are especially helpful to those newcomers to the hobby. Sometimes these folks give out advice and sometimes they just answer questions and they never seem to expect any recognition for the valuable resource that they are. This is not to say that the membership as a whole is not helpful, generally it is, but some members just stand out as being very helpful, especially to the newcomers.

As such, we want to recognize those folks as someone who is helpful and courteous and also make them recognizable to the membership as a person who lends a non-critical hand to those that need it. With little fanfare, we are going to change their membership title from “Member” to “Mentor” so that these folks have some recognition of the value we believe they provide to the site.

CalebATC

Hmm... I never thought about how some of us help out so much on this forum. Obviously, I'm not much of a help in the many forums, since I don't have the best ideas/experience with amateur radio antennas etc. but I do offer quite a bit of help, when I have the info, in the Aviation and Military forums. But what some of them do is a ton to what I help! I always love offering help!

This is a great idea to honor those who help! Many people come to mind who spend hour writing/helping people. I'm sure they are known by other people.

Not to mention there are a few (unnamed) who aren't really the best people (crap-stirs's)..... :)

K

kb0nly

I agree, mentors create MORE mentors. I love RR for the simple fact that its a good exchange of information on anything radio, and even non-radio.

jim202

I had my start many years ago and was finding it hard to figure out which end was up. Somehow I managed to find a person who became a long time friend and a mentor. It made it much simpler to learn the ropes on how radios functioned, how to fix them and how to install them when one has a shoulder to lean on and get some pointers along the way. What it would take you years to learn by yourself, a mentor can sometimes show you in just a few hours.

Hope you all can find a mentor to lean on and be shown the way.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
As of yesterday evening, all three of the original folks we identified have accepted the title, one has already commented here in the topic. We (the staff) are not looking to add to the ranks of the mentors in any sort of rush, as we find folks who seem to be mentoring others (especially new folks), we will keep them under observation and at some point ask them if they want to be so identified.

The three folks we initially designated as mentors are:
We aren't looking for nominations, nor will we consider self-promotion.

Last edited:

wlmr

Cool idea! It'll be fun to watch posts to spot when mentors get recognition.

gcgrotz

Good choice of fmon, he not only helps on the VA forum but has sent files and actually met with others needing help in the Hampton Roads area.

DickH

Radio Reference, and its predecessor TrunkedRadio.net, has always relied on its members to lend a hand or to share their experience and knowledge with those newer members. Since 2004 the membership has grown to 470,000 plus members. Many of those members are new to the hobby and come here looking for help. Over the years, the staff has noticed that there are some members that are especially helpful to those newcomers to the hobby. Sometimes these folks give out advice and sometimes they just answer questions and they never seem to expect any recognition for the valuable resource that they are. This is not to say that the membership as a whole is not helpful, generally it is, but some members just stand out as being very helpful, especially to the newcomers.

As such, we want to recognize those folks as someone who is helpful and courteous and also make them recognizable to the membership as a person who lends a non-critical hand to those that need it. With little fanfare, we are going to change their membership title from “Member” to “Mentor” so that these folks have some recognition of the value we believe they provide to the site.

That's a nice gesture Lou, but I think some of us help much less than we should because many people who seek help never reply when help is given. Here is a recent example. One person's first post ended like this " ... I don't even know what questions to ask!!"

Eight people responded with various offers of help, yet the OP never even acknowledged he saw the posts. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Such thoughtless, even rude, behavior discourages some of us.

Highpockets

That's a nice gesture Lou, but I think some of us help much less than we should because many people who seek help never reply when help is given. Here is a recent example. One person's first post ended like this " ... I don't even know what questions to ask!!"

Eight people responded with various offers of help, yet the OP never even acknowledged he saw the posts. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Such thoughtless, even rude, behavior discourages some of us.

I know how much you help here, but I disagree with you. When I post to help I don't look for a reply, if they do that's fine, if they don't I figured they figured it out or are just so lost they give up. And I find that most who get help thank you in the end. If the people that have the answers here don't help, what good is the site.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I like seeing some forum members helping out the new forum members when their questions. Keep up the good work guys and ladies. :D

OCO

I know how much you help here, but I disagree with you. When I post to help I don't look for a reply, if they do that's fine, if they don't I figured they figured it out or are just so lost they give up. And I find that most who get help thank you in the end. If the people that have the answers here don't help, what good is the site.

Attaboys are nice, but the real reason for feedback is to help the "helpers" improve the quality of their advice. Some answers may be fairly straight forward, but as with any remote troubleshooting, you just never know.........:D

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
New Mentor

As this morning we have a new mentor on the site. Tom (trsundstrom) has been added to the list of those folks recognized as mentors.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I try my best to pop in every few days and offer help when I can. IMO it's just a nice way to repay the people that have helped me out when I've been stuck through the years. I think this a great idea to recognize the ones that are eager to assist. Great choice on captclint!

Status
Not open for further replies.