Philadelphia, PA - Temple University police fault radio in clash with teen

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Deleted one off topic post. Please keep the discussions in this thread about the radio system and the possible issues it had. If you wish to discuss the incident itself, please take it to The Tavern.

Thanks!

lfd8e4

Never did say how they finally got the radio message requesting back up. Digital radio...if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. NO IN BETWEEN. The Headline for news story kinda leads you believe it was the radios fault for the clash with the teen.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Misleading is right, the message went through so the system obviously worked. The real complaint, the two minute response time got barely a mention.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Misleading is right, the message went through so the system obviously worked. The real complaint, the two minute response time got barely a mention.

Watched the video, read the articles. Cops did the right thing. Seems like the system did in fact work, but some of the TU Police need to take a spinning class to hustle it up on those bikes.

And in case anyone didn't get to see the video...rest easy, the cliche Rodney King remark was in fact chanted by the crowd. ::sarcasm/rolls eyes::

SCPD

QRT
After the message went through the system, a two minute response time on bikes seems pretty decent. BUT if the cops say there is trouble with the system, I have to believe them.

vinzep491

Maybe the University just did not have the portable infrastructure built out to enable the PD to do their job correctly.

If they did not want to shell out the extra $$ for another repeater during the construction who's fault is that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the concerns I have regarding the use of budget based LMR systems like MotoTRBO and NexEDGE is they aren't specifically designed for public safety.

Officers do not need fancy toys, they need radios that WORK. Like a firearm, a portable radio is something you don't want to work 99 percent of the time- the 1 percent of the time it doesn't maybe the last time you use it.

I'd like to see the logs from the system. Does MotoTRBO offer this level of accounting? This is where the men are separated from the boys. Astro 25 and P25 systems do, and when stuff goes wrong, it's vital to be able to point to specific numbers of affiliation attempts, failed channel grants (including dates/times/site locations), channel loading, emergency call activations, etc.

Would love to hear the system managers' side and the reports to go with it.

AK4GA

the concerns I have regarding the use of budget based LMR systems like MotoTRBO and NexEDGE is they aren't specifically designed for public safety.

Officers do not need fancy toys, they need radios that WORK. Like a firearm, a portable radio is something you don't want to work 99 percent of the time- the 1 percent of the time it doesn't maybe the last time you use it.

I'd like to see the logs from the system. Does MotoTRBO offer this level of accounting? This is where the men are separated from the boys. Astro 25 and P25 systems do, and when stuff goes wrong, it's vital to be able to point to specific numbers of affiliation attempts, failed channel grants (including dates/times/site locations), channel loading, emergency call activations, etc.

Would love to hear the system managers' side and the reports to go with it.

This.

vinzep491

MTS, yes, you can buy software that specifically monitors system processing and errors.

If you read up on TRBO you will discover that there are issues with handheld's GPS feature, expecailly if the sat signal is obscured by buildings or other interference. The GPS feature is handy but can be sketchy on the HH's, depending on the situtaion.

Pair that with the fact that they are only using a single repeater site to cover everything, and you are not going to get 100 percent portable coverage. If TUP added additional repeater links and connected them over the IP network, they would have better results.
TRBO has serious potential, and I used to think it could not be PS grade... my opinion has since changed, but if the org is not willing to build out the system to accomodate it's technology... well, then you get what you paid for, or lack of.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
lfd8e4 said:
Never did say how they finally got the radio message requesting back up. Digital radio...if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. NO IN BETWEEN. The Headline for news story kinda leads you believe it was the radios fault for the clash with the teen.
Ya digital is crap and police,EMS,etc SHOULD NOT USE ANYTHING BUT ANALOGUE!!

vinzep491

Ya digital is crap and police,EMS,etc SHOULD NOT USE ANYTHING BUT ANALOGUE!!

Now, I personally do not agree with this statement. They just have to design the sysytem correctly and be willing to invent the right ammount of money into it. Digital offers alot that analog can not.. it all depends on the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.