Pasadena, CA - Pasadena police reopen their radio frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

At least enough pressure was brought to bear on the city that they are now broadcasting the dispatch talk group in the clear. I don't have a problem with the tactical and narcotics talk groups being encrypted. I don't see any other reason to encrypt other services.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
True, this is good and shows the publics interest in knowing whats happening in the community. I read somewhere on the other post about why does LAPD, NYPD, Chicago keep the air open. I would say larger population of people watching there community and watching the police speaking there voice. Transparecy in those cities matters considering what has happened in the past in them and encrypting everything would be a major fall back and bite on those departments. Not to mention I know a relative in the FBI who told me the FBI does monitor those troubled cities departments and deciding to encrypt would make many in the public question intentions. Plus those cities use MDTs and have cell phones. Some do use encryption when needed on tac or narco channels when needed. So useless to encrypt everything. Plus the fleets are so large by time they utilize one system and encrypt its time to go through it all again and update to the next thing, which budgets cannot fulfill these days. Its various reasons. Smaller cities or towns seem to do this more with the big secret but once enough people bark they lay off. Its the publics right to know what is happening in the community. Im sure allot of these agencies who do not encrypt have people minded officers and communications experts in them. Which is good.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
For info this is not the regular dispatch talk group.

Instead they created a separate TG and simply broadcast a very brief summary of major calls - eg 211 @ 123 Main St, with zero follow up, or other more detailed info.
TG can be quiet for hours at a time if nothing major is occurring in the city.

JoeyC

For info this is not the regular dispatch talk group.

Instead they created a separate TG and simply broadcast a very brief summary of major calls - eg 211 @ 123 Main St, with zero follow up, or other more detailed info.
TG can be quiet for hours at a time if nothing major is occurring in the city.

When I first read this "change of policy" regarding the change to broadcast in the clear I was skeptical. I'm sure you are 100% correct in that this is nothing more than a filtered announcement talkgroup set up for the medias purposes. There is no way in hell the officers radios are tuned to this channel for routine radio operations when encryption is an option given the benefit it provides.

SCPD

QRT
Well then, Seems they are being sneaky and to designate the setup for this PR TG is a bunch of hog wash.

karldotcom

Well, like I said on another thread. I parked it on that talkgroup and it sounds like the old taxi cab frequencies, without the chatter. Basically, "we have this felony at this address in this cars district" the end. Not repeated, no acknowledgement, no followup.

You would have to be recording the talkgroup and parking it there to have any chance of following the activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.