RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 9:11 PM

I'm on board...good answers...good questions. I've always enjoyed the site and content.

I do believe someone was watching a Squidbillies marathon when they coined..."broadcastify"...
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM

I'm still trying to figure out who came up with word Broadcastify ?
and what were the other names considered that got rejected ?
Those names must have been something !
LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you for everything you past and present years of you making this website one of the best websites around and etc. May I ask why BroadCastify as a website name? I would have pick ScanTheWorld.com or if was the only the states I would have choosen ScanUSA.com. I am sure you picked the right one for the site.

- Jamie

Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Engineer - SNE DB Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will the way people access feeds change via the Radio Reference Audio DB (i.e. browse to a state, find the state, find the area). Or will that remain the same?

Also will people be able to see what feeds we provide via a badge on here?

Will all the features like the statistics and such also be available on the back end?

This seems like a good change and a good direction to head in, especially if it financially benefits radioreference.com
Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will it cost me anything to log in and program a scanner?
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can see RR's side of the changes. I do wish the best for the new service. How ever like some other providers, I provide my feed, in exchange for the premium access to RR. When I have to start paying for it again, i can't see a need to continue my feed. Even if we can get access to the database, and ability to download system updates, that would be enticing enough to keep the feed up. My thanks and appreciation go out to Mr Blanton and his staff for the service they have provided everyone of us.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkelso View Post
Will it cost me anything to log in and program a scanner?
yes you will need to pay for a premium subscription now even if you provide a feed.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 AM

I don't like this at all. As a feed provider I appreciate the free premium subscription to RR in exchange for using my bandwidth and electricity to provide my feeds to the site is a fair trade. The cost to me is more than what the premium subscription but I like to help out the amount of feeds. If the feed provider free subscription to RR does end, so will my feeds.
Old 09-11-2012, 1:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm one of those who probably will not continue to provide a feed if the free premium subscription to RR goes away. That was the main reason for putting it up here. It's already available on RailroadRadio.net and will remain available there.
Old 09-11-2012, 1:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have terminated my feeds here. They can be accessed for free at liveatc.net.

Last edited by datainmotion; 09-11-2012 at 1:56 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 3:01 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The main reason for anyone of you streaming audio should never have been to get a premium subscription. I've seen many many feeds come and go -- they came long enough for somebody to eek out all the benefits they needed from radioreference, and then they disappeared. This will solve that problem. I have no clue what the figures are, but firsthand I've seen a lot of abuse in that regard. I have no stake in RR, but I'll sleep better at night knowing that joe schmoe can't set up a audio feed with no audio and no scanner just to cheat RR out of $30.

The new platform sounds great, Lindsay. I'm excited for it to be launched.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 09-11-2012, 4:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
The main reason for anyone of you streaming audio should never have been to get a premium subscription. I've seen many many feeds come and go -- they came long enough for somebody to eek out all the benefits they needed from radioreference, and then they disappeared. This will solve that problem.
Mike
Not sure this will solve that problem completely if I'm reading things correctly. It appears all active feed providers will still gain a complimentary 90 day sub to RR.
So those that setup a feed just long enough to program their radios will continue to do the same (for up to 90 days) unless I missed something.
Maybe a minimum feed uptime should be established before the free 90 day period starts. I'm sure that would thwart some of the freeloaders that setup feeds just to gain full access and then disappear.
I do wonder what the numbers are that do that and if it is really a problem.
I can also see where it will rub some the wrong way. Especially those with several feeds running and a fair amount of money invested in the radios and other equipment needed. Maybe feed providers should be given a discount to the main site over those that do not provide a feed.
I think it will be interesting to see what happens when this takes place.
Old 09-11-2012, 5:15 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe you would consider offering a choice of subscriptions for "Grandfathered" feed providers? I too would much rather have a subscription to RR in exchange for providing my feed.

That being said... I love the Broadcastify spinoff idea (Even though the name sounds so George W.).

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2012, 8:30 AM

As a paying customer, but non feed provider, I can tell you that you will lose my business. I can't justify spending $84 a year for broadcastify as well as whatever the premium fee will be for RR. It was fun while it lasted, but goodbye.
Old 09-11-2012, 8:33 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by speard View Post
can't justify spending $84 a year for broadcastify
You don't need to pay that, the feeds are free.
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2012, 8:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think what annoys people the most is that the database and the audio feeds were built and provided by members for free.. often at a loss.. only to be sold and profited. Has anyone noticed that people dont bother submitting too much information anymore? What is the benefit to me if I find a new frequency or system, submit it and then have to pay to download it to my scanner? Eventually the free content will run dry.
Old 09-11-2012, 8:47 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't want to be a "me too" here but I am also one who provides a stream solely for the benefit of the RR subscription. My feed is coming up on 2 years of continuous service and before that I ran the feed just for myself for another 2 or 3 years. Once the RR subscription goes away I will have to think hard about whether it makes sense to continue a public stream.
Old 09-11-2012, 8:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So if I have, or do not have, a RR Premium Subscription...can I listen to live frees for free on Broadcastify.com?
Old 09-11-2012, 8:57 AM
Founder and CEO
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The feeds will always be available for free on Broadcastify.com
Old 09-11-2012, 8:59 AM

Will I have to pay to access the forums on RadioReference? Or is the subscription just for the database.

Uniden BCD536HP and BC350A in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls. Looking at getting a BCD436HP.
Closed Thread