GRE US Personnel Attempt Restart of GRE Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
GRE US Personnel Attempt Restart of GRE Business. Same Customer Service, Warranty and Repair Remains

By Wayne Wilson, former Executive VP GRE

Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2012

FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 16, 2012 – In early October, all US GRE Sales and Development team were advised by GRE-Japan that scanner manufacturing was shut down; nearly all GRE personnel in Asia and USA were dismissed. Since that time, the US Team has been working to rebuild the company and get back into production.

Personnel remain at the US office in Belmont, CA, 650-591-1400, charged with the responsibility to sell off all remaining scanner inventory and continue scanner customer service and repair, including warranty repair. It is intended that this office will remain open even once scanner inventory is depleted; this office also distributes the Alinco Amateur Radio product line.

Wayne Wilson, former VP, said, “We know the rumors are out there about GRE and the recent release of a free P25-Phase II (TDMA) firmware update for our PSR-800 last Friday, Oct 12th caused more confusion as scanner advocates asked themselves if GRE was still here or really gone? We were told gone, but we have launched a heroic effort to obtain rights to continue the same products as well as develop new scanners – essentially pick up where it was dropped.”

GRE thanks our loyal customers and dealers for past business, and probably under a new brand name, the US team will re-introduce this fine line of scanners sometime soon.

EDIT From blantonl: My emphasis was added above to emphasize that Wayne Wilson is a former GRE employee and not speaking officially on behalf of GRE Inc.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GRE, Stunned

Well, I wasn't expecting this development. Now, I suppose we will wait and see what the future holds for this company. My mind has been focused on what new developments might be coming from this company. Now, I suppose I should be more concerned about how long this company will be around to fix their product line.

I ran into a similar problem when AOR refused to fix my AR 1000.

Sad news.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
This also "should" affect Radio Shack inventory????

Get them while you can...

Last edited:

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Wow...thanks for posting this. I guess this changes the price of things for us.....I wonder if that means there will be close out sales, etc ??????? Anyone want to speculate ??

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Probably then explains the jump in prices - accessories of the radios at radio shack? Not enough inventory to sell?
Although Im not a fan of their radios, we need them as well, competition is good. Heck who knows just "my speculation" uniden buys them ?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I wonder what will happen to Radio Shack sales on scanners? I know their main focus is not in that arena anymore. They are more into cell phones, computers, parts,ect. I hope they were notified of this breaking news. They will have to sell out their inventory and start displaying Uniden Bearcat products.

73's

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks, this is not a joke, it is true. GRE Inc. has ceased manufacturing operations, closed it's office in Japan, and laid off numerous employeesin the United States. This means that distributors and dealers are going to no longer receive any stock or product, including Radio Shack.

GRE America is still up and running and will continue to provide warranty, technical support, and service for the next few years with it's staff in California. Additionally, GRE America will support the database updates to their EZ-Scan scanner lineup. They will also continue to distribute Alinco products.

That's what we know for now. As you can imagine this is a very disappointing development for our industry and hobby.

SquierStrat

As you can imagine this is a very disappointing development for our industry and hobby.

Understatement of the year!! I always wondered if Uniden would ever make a digital scanner for Radio Shack, or if it would always be GRE.. Time has told.. Sad sad day..

The thread title confuses me though... are they attempting to restart, or are they closing down???

their website, as of right now, has a banner on it saying "Join Us. Become GRE scanner dealer"

also, will their new "beta" firmware will stay "beta" forever?

Last edited:

egulley612

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This also "should" affect Radio Shack inventory????

Get them while you can...

NEGATORY!!! NEGATORY!!!!

The current radio shack inventory and scanners sold thru them will be serviced through RS as always until told otherwise.

From what i was told, this is news to alot of people.

ALSO, the PSR-900 is STILL in production. which basically means that asia offices HAVE to fullfill this line.

sglass

I wonder what this means for Alinco products...since GRE handles warranty on them.

egulley612

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Folks, this is not a joke, it is true. GRE Inc. has ceased manufacturing operations, closed it's office in Japan, and laid off numerous employeesin the United States. This means that distributors and dealers are going to no longer receive any stock or product, including Radio Shack.

GRE America is still up and running and will continue to provide warranty, technical support, and service for the next few years with it's staff in California. Additionally, GRE America will support the database updates to their EZ-Scan scanner lineup. They will also continue to distribute Alinco products.

That's what we know for now. As you can imagine this is a very disappointing development for our industry and hobby.

Lindsey and others: I just got off the phone with 3 major outlets here in the US that deal with GRE scanners and they are all not believing this. some are even calling a bluff.

I don't know what to say other than GRE is probably going to JACK UP prices.

ALSO, the japanese web site of GRE is still up and running AND still taking inquiries via email.

Could you dig a little deeper because IMHO, something stinks here

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I am very sorry to hear this news. Let’s hope the US Team can obtain the rights to continue the GRE products, and rebuild the company here in America. I wish them great success in this endeavor, and I will support them by buying their products.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Lindsay I make one correction there is some stock especialy PSR 800., also plenty of psr 500.
Per raj we just talked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.