Modesto, CA: Tait Selected for P25 Trunked TDMA-capable Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
What an ignorant decision. Like going to a 700/800 P25 trunked system is the only way to solve interoperability. Someone is certainly drinking the blue kool-aid. Stanislaus is broke as it is so us tax payers will no doubt be footing this bill.

Most everyone in San Joaquin (adjacent County) is moving to, or is on, P25 conventional UHF minus a few FD's. For a County with more money and more suburban communities they seem to be doing fine. Stan County is mostly all rural farmland.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Stanislaus to 700 MHz

What an ignorant decision.
I agree with you on that.

Stan County is mostly all rural farmland.
Yeah it is but filled with meth labs and lots of crime.

Interestingly Turlock already has a trunked system and UC Stanislaus has a TG or 2 on it. Not sure why the whole county needs a new system. Plus I'd expect the move up to 700MHz will mean more repeater sites are needed. I can better monitor Stanislaus county from here now than I do San Joaquin, because SJ has been on 460MHz UHF and Stanislaus mostly on VHF.

Boatanchor

Didn't ya know that the more mega-cycles you have the more reliable the radio coverage!

Still, no matter what band they were/are on, they should end up with twice or three times as much bang for their buck going with Tait than they would with the Batwing or Harris.

More competition in digital LMR has got to be a good thing for the taxpayers IMHO.

kma371

QRT
Well at least ill be able to hear Turlock and Ceres when this happens. Their trunked systems have terrible coverage.

cabletech

So, with all this, what happened to the central calif 800 trunk system that was installed back in 95-96 that had everyone from UC/Davis and local pd, to every badge wearing department around Sacomento up to Auburn and all the way down to Fresno?

I did a lot of work on that thru Delta wireless and we build/installed a lot of new sites. Even installed equipment at CHP central dispatch and a couple of their aircraft.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
So, with all this, what happened to the central calif 800 trunk system that was installed back in 95-96 that had everyone from UC/Davis and local pd, to every badge wearing department around Sacomento up to Auburn and all the way down to Fresno?
I've never known of any wide-area trunked system that covered the Valley other than the Sac City/County SmartZone system (SRRCS) and it only does the County and some surrounding areas. Davis has their own system.

I seem to recall talk of going to a UHF trunked system for the south Sac Valley and San Joaquin Valley a few years ago.

Maybe the only way to grab hold of a good amount of frequencies is through 700/800? Some of the agencies that were on VHF prior to UHF P25 don't seem to have had trouble procuring UHF freqs. And when you have people like Tracy PD who blast 300+ watts so you can hear them in Sac just fine sure as hell don't help coordination. You aren't using any of their freqs for a good 70+ miles; and all for a City that's barely wider than 5 miles (20-25 sq miles?).

kma371

QRT
So, with all this, what happened to the central calif 800 trunk system that was installed back in 95-96 that had everyone from UC/Davis and local pd, to every badge wearing department around Sacomento up to Auburn and all the way down to Fresno?.

Yeah that's news to me too. Never heard of such a thing.

kk6dj

It says a P25 phase II capable system. My question is what mode will it run in? Our local PD has a new P25 capable system they run in analog simulcast.

kk6dj

Sorry about that. too many pronouns.

San Luis Obispo City PD installed a new Tait P25 system (non-trunked) but run it in analog simulcast mode.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

Plans for that regional trunked radio system got placed on the back burner and finally shelved. It was to have stretched from Yolo County down to Fresno, and would have been a Motorola Astro TRS, as it would have been an outgrowth of the SRRCS, but using OmniLink technology to connect all of the sites together. Sadly, the project lacked a central funding mechanism, which ultimately led to its demise. Likewise, Ericsson/MA-Com had a fit about the plan, since they wanted to bid on it, and were shut out by the decision to go with Motorola. Amazingly, in the post 9-11 era we live in today, the regional TRS would have probably had a better chance of making it with federal funding from the DHS.

73's

Ron

Last edited:

rapidcharger

The waste, fraud and abuse just never ends.
radioReferenceRL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.