Northport, AL - Northport plans upgrade of police radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

To quote the article...
"Collins recently told the City Council that it doesn't work as well in the northern part of the city or in areas with deep hills or valleys. He said that in those areas, officers keep a backup two-way radio for communication just in case."

Here's an idea...
Why not just transition back (the motorola salesman call that "downgrade to 1950's cold war era technology") to whatever radios and/or radio system they are using to communicate in those rugged areas?
According to the database they're on 800mhz conventional. Just because 850 is a higher number than 50 or 150 doesn't make it better.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
To quote the article...
"Collins recently told the City Council that it doesn't work as well in the northern part of the city or in areas with deep hills or valleys. He said that in those areas, officers keep a backup two-way radio for communication just in case."

Here's an idea...
Why not just transition back (the motorola salesman call that "downgrade to 1950's cold war era technology") to whatever radios and/or radio system they are using to communicate in those rugged areas?
According to the database they're on 800mhz conventional. Just because 850 is a higher number than 50 or 150 doesn't make it better.

You seem to disregard the fact that they have been using their existing infrastructure since 1988 according to the FCC ULS buildout dates. The city has grown. When buildings go up, topography changes. This is going to mean more sites needed regardless of what RF band a system is on.

Switching to a different band is retarded. It seems you have a problem with 700/800MHz, which I don't understand why. If an agency already has existing licenses, making modifications to such and adding sites and modernizing an existing 22 year old radio system is much more logical than replacing it with, in your words, "cold war technology" that would prove no more effective than they already have.

Aside, what interest do you have in Northport, AL? Do you own property there? Are you a taxpayer affected by such capital improvements? Just curious.

rapidcharger

You seem to disregard the fact that they have been using their existing infrastructure since 1988 according to the FCC ULS buildout dates.
Um yeah and they seem to be still using the infrastructure they had in place before that when their current infrastructure doesn't get the job done. Read the article.

Aside, what interest do you have in Northport, AL? Do you own property there? Are you a taxpayer affected by such capital improvements? Just curious.

Oh I'm sorry. Am I not allowed to post a comment unless I live in the area affected by the news? I don't think so. I didn't see any rules about that. This isn't the Alabama room. This is the News and Announcements room. You do realize that, don't you? And yes when there's federal grants involved, I feel I have a right to voice my opinion. I'm sorry you don't want me to but it's the Intertubes. Sometimes you'll agree with people, most of the time you won't.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Um yeah and they seem to be still using the infrastructure they had in place before that when their current infrastructure doesn't get the job done. Read the article.

I read the article. So you agree their radio system needs replacement. I'm not sure what the point of your post is then.

As far as my questioning, it was simple. I was curious if you had a dog in the fight. Obviously I got my answer. "The hit dog hollers"

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Seems like this forum has turned into the Tavern "Rants" forum............but maybe it's just me. :wink:

rapidcharger

Seems like this forum has turned into the Tavern "Rants" forum............but maybe it's just me. :wink:

I'm certainly not ranting. I'm calmly voicing my comments.
I admit the avatar might give one the impression that I am ranting. I think I'll change it.

I read the article. So you agree their radio system needs replacement. I'm not sure what the point of your post is then.

It sure sounds like it. It sounds like the need to replace it with whatever they are using for their backup. The point of my post is to add my comments to the news story. I presume the point of your post is to try to press my buttons and get me riled up but that doesn't work anymore. Not on here anyway. You can still do it on the air though.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It sure sounds like it. It sounds like the need to replace it with whatever they are using for their backup. The point of my post is to add my comments to the news story. I presume the point of your post is to try to press my buttons and get me riled up but that doesn't work anymore. Not on here anyway. You can still do it on the air though.

Your ASSumption is wrong. I merely try to contribute something positive, not continually berate others about things they are trying to do to improve their often aged, inadequate radio communication problems in their respective communities.

I started a non-profit organization who's mission is to assist other governments and non-profits, find better, more affordable solutions to their communications needs, but you already knew that. That is what I do to make positive contributions, and enjoy discussing the industry happenings.

But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation, it seems you have a prejudiced position based on something I feel is nothing more than a personal dislike for particular vendors, or your wearing your scanner listeners' shoes. Whatever the case, I don't have any personal beef with anyone. If I do this isn't the appropriate forum, as you said so yourself.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

Nah, it's pretty much every single topic that gets posted in Community Announcement these days...

rapidcharger

But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation, it seems you have a prejudiced position based on something I feel is nothing more than a personal dislike for particular vendors, or your wearing your scanner listeners' shoes. Whatever the case, I don't have any personal beef with anyone. If I do this isn't the appropriate forum, as you said so yourself.

We've already been warned by a mod and I would like to honor their wishes and stay on topic.

I apologize if my comments seem a little biased as a scanner listener. I should disclose that I am one. At least I try to be. The last time I checked, RadioReference is a world leading collaboration platform for public safety communications professionals and hobbyists. With the direction communications are going, one should unfortunately expect more disagreement amongst the two groups as more and more communications become more difficult or even impossible for scanner listeners to monitor. Although as I have said before, my beef is not with technology or vendors, my beef is with wasteful spending.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I too am against wasteful spending but I have a completely different view on what is wasteful. That is pouring money into what has become a money pit, a long outdated system patched together and on its last legs. Regardless of what they choose as a replacement the point is there comes a time to stop tossing money into the pit.

For what it's worth the reference to "Cold War technology" raises ire especially when it does not apply. You seem not to know what sort of equipment was in use at the time, I do and I'm sure if you did you'd see how useless it is today. You might want to think up another catch phrase, that one is worn out and troublesome.

Now has come the time either to get this thread back on course or lock it.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation...
Then ignore them, or put him on your ignore list please.

Both of you are taking over threads with your person to person discussions and other members don't seem to like it.

So last warning for you two.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

Now has come the time either to get this thread back on course or lock it.
Oddly enough, I agree with Warren again.

rapidcharger:
I see you in almost every forum on the board whenever the subject of modern, efficient, digital communications is brought up, you are there to question the spending patterns of whoever or whatever the agency or government entity is. I don't know you, but I can hazard a guess that your job does not involve going across the country doing audits on fiscal decisions made in reference to upgrading communications equipment. You claim to be in Georgia and I will allow that you may have some knowledge of fiscal matters in the local area, but I suspect you have little knowledge of a town in the western part of Alabama from your location just north east of Atlanta; you certainly would surprise me if you had intimate knowledge of what was going on in Maricopa county, Arizona (where you have also spoken out.) I guess my point is this, if you continue to troll the forums looking for every topic that deals with spending money on what you consider (with no real knowledge) a waste, we will have to slow your pace down by placing you on moderation. Consider this a fair warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.