RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 5:08 PM
Thunderbolt's Avatar
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 6,607
Default Northport, AL - Northport plans upgrade of police radio system

NORTHPORT, Ala. An Alabama town plans to overhaul its police communications system in the next two years at an estimated cost of about $1.5 million.

Northport plans upgrade of police radio system - WAAYTV.com: State
__________________
"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain." Robert Frost.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 9:19 AM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,436
Default

To quote the article...
"Collins recently told the City Council that it doesn't work as well in the northern part of the city or in areas with deep hills or valleys. He said that in those areas, officers keep a backup two-way radio for communication just in case."

Here's an idea...
Why not just transition back (the motorola salesman call that "downgrade to 1950's cold war era technology") to whatever radios and/or radio system they are using to communicate in those rugged areas?
According to the database they're on 800mhz conventional. Just because 850 is a higher number than 50 or 150 doesn't make it better.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA PCT 3 Crime Central
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
To quote the article...
"Collins recently told the City Council that it doesn't work as well in the northern part of the city or in areas with deep hills or valleys. He said that in those areas, officers keep a backup two-way radio for communication just in case."

Here's an idea...
Why not just transition back (the motorola salesman call that "downgrade to 1950's cold war era technology") to whatever radios and/or radio system they are using to communicate in those rugged areas?
According to the database they're on 800mhz conventional. Just because 850 is a higher number than 50 or 150 doesn't make it better.
You seem to disregard the fact that they have been using their existing infrastructure since 1988 according to the FCC ULS buildout dates. The city has grown. When buildings go up, topography changes. This is going to mean more sites needed regardless of what RF band a system is on.

Switching to a different band is retarded. It seems you have a problem with 700/800MHz, which I don't understand why. If an agency already has existing licenses, making modifications to such and adding sites and modernizing an existing 22 year old radio system is much more logical than replacing it with, in your words, "cold war technology" that would prove no more effective than they already have.

Aside, what interest do you have in Northport, AL? Do you own property there? Are you a taxpayer affected by such capital improvements? Just curious.
__________________
All opinions, statements, posts, or information made public are those exclusively of the author, and not those of his employer, contractors or associates.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 4:29 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
You seem to disregard the fact that they have been using their existing infrastructure since 1988 according to the FCC ULS buildout dates.
Um yeah and they seem to be still using the infrastructure they had in place before that when their current infrastructure doesn't get the job done. Read the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post

Aside, what interest do you have in Northport, AL? Do you own property there? Are you a taxpayer affected by such capital improvements? Just curious.
Oh I'm sorry. Am I not allowed to post a comment unless I live in the area affected by the news? I don't think so. I didn't see any rules about that. This isn't the Alabama room. This is the News and Announcements room. You do realize that, don't you? And yes when there's federal grants involved, I feel I have a right to voice my opinion. I'm sorry you don't want me to but it's the Intertubes. Sometimes you'll agree with people, most of the time you won't.

Last edited by rapidcharger; 12-05-2012 at 4:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 6:07 PM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA PCT 3 Crime Central
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
Um yeah and they seem to be still using the infrastructure they had in place before that when their current infrastructure doesn't get the job done. Read the article.
I read the article. So you agree their radio system needs replacement. I'm not sure what the point of your post is then.

As far as my questioning, it was simple. I was curious if you had a dog in the fight. Obviously I got my answer. "The hit dog hollers"
__________________
All opinions, statements, posts, or information made public are those exclusively of the author, and not those of his employer, contractors or associates.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 6:46 PM
KevinC's Avatar
Moderator
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 1,288
Default

Seems like this forum has turned into the Tavern "Rants" forum............but maybe it's just me.
__________________
BC-210XLT

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 7:15 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Seems like this forum has turned into the Tavern "Rants" forum............but maybe it's just me.
I'm certainly not ranting. I'm calmly voicing my comments.
I admit the avatar might give one the impression that I am ranting. I think I'll change it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
I read the article. So you agree their radio system needs replacement. I'm not sure what the point of your post is then.
It sure sounds like it. It sounds like the need to replace it with whatever they are using for their backup. The point of my post is to add my comments to the news story. I presume the point of your post is to try to press my buttons and get me riled up but that doesn't work anymore. Not on here anyway. You can still do it on the air though.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 7:39 PM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA PCT 3 Crime Central
Posts: 2,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
It sure sounds like it. It sounds like the need to replace it with whatever they are using for their backup. The point of my post is to add my comments to the news story. I presume the point of your post is to try to press my buttons and get me riled up but that doesn't work anymore. Not on here anyway. You can still do it on the air though.
Your ASSumption is wrong. I merely try to contribute something positive, not continually berate others about things they are trying to do to improve their often aged, inadequate radio communication problems in their respective communities.

I started a non-profit organization who's mission is to assist other governments and non-profits, find better, more affordable solutions to their communications needs, but you already knew that. That is what I do to make positive contributions, and enjoy discussing the industry happenings.

But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation, it seems you have a prejudiced position based on something I feel is nothing more than a personal dislike for particular vendors, or your wearing your scanner listeners' shoes. Whatever the case, I don't have any personal beef with anyone. If I do this isn't the appropriate forum, as you said so yourself.
__________________
All opinions, statements, posts, or information made public are those exclusively of the author, and not those of his employer, contractors or associates.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 8:57 PM
Spitfire8520's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Seems like this forum has turned into the Tavern "Rants" forum............but maybe it's just me.
Nah, it's pretty much every single topic that gets posted in Community Announcement these days...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2012, 8:30 AM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation, it seems you have a prejudiced position based on something I feel is nothing more than a personal dislike for particular vendors, or your wearing your scanner listeners' shoes. Whatever the case, I don't have any personal beef with anyone. If I do this isn't the appropriate forum, as you said so yourself.
We've already been warned by a mod and I would like to honor their wishes and stay on topic.

I apologize if my comments seem a little biased as a scanner listener. I should disclose that I am one. At least I try to be. The last time I checked, RadioReference is a world leading collaboration platform for public safety communications professionals and hobbyists. With the direction communications are going, one should unfortunately expect more disagreement amongst the two groups as more and more communications become more difficult or even impossible for scanner listeners to monitor. Although as I have said before, my beef is not with technology or vendors, my beef is with wasteful spending.

Last edited by rapidcharger; 12-06-2012 at 8:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:58 AM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,127
Default

I too am against wasteful spending but I have a completely different view on what is wasteful. That is pouring money into what has become a money pit, a long outdated system patched together and on its last legs. Regardless of what they choose as a replacement the point is there comes a time to stop tossing money into the pit.

For what it's worth the reference to "Cold War technology" raises ire especially when it does not apply. You seem not to know what sort of equipment was in use at the time, I do and I'm sure if you did you'd see how useless it is today. You might want to think up another catch phrase, that one is worn out and troublesome.

Now has come the time either to get this thread back on course or lock it.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:06 PM
WayneH's Avatar
Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Sitting in an airport somewhere
Posts: 8,407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
But I can't help but notice that your posts in particular carry an overall negative connotation...
Then ignore them, or put him on your ignore list please.

Both of you are taking over threads with your person to person discussions and other members don't seem to like it.

So last warning for you two.
__________________
-Wayne
PM's are permitted by contact list only. Please use direct email: wayne_h at radioreference dot com
Got an admin question? -> Forum Rules & Guidelines
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:16 PM
loumaag's Avatar
Silent Key - Aug 2014
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 13,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
...

Now has come the time either to get this thread back on course or lock it.
Oddly enough, I agree with Warren again.

rapidcharger:
I see you in almost every forum on the board whenever the subject of modern, efficient, digital communications is brought up, you are there to question the spending patterns of whoever or whatever the agency or government entity is. I don't know you, but I can hazard a guess that your job does not involve going across the country doing audits on fiscal decisions made in reference to upgrading communications equipment. You claim to be in Georgia and I will allow that you may have some knowledge of fiscal matters in the local area, but I suspect you have little knowledge of a town in the western part of Alabama from your location just north east of Atlanta; you certainly would surprise me if you had intimate knowledge of what was going on in Maricopa county, Arizona (where you have also spoken out.) I guess my point is this, if you continue to troll the forums looking for every topic that deals with spending money on what you consider (with no real knowledge) a waste, we will have to slow your pace down by placing you on moderation. Consider this a fair warning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions