RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Announcements and News > Community Announcements and News

Community Announcements and News Announcements and News of interest to the RadioReference.com Community. All new threads posted here will be moderated by the administrators. Members are encouraged to post news and information here for the community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Database Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Wireless Companies will to add TEXT to 911

Text-to-9-1-1 capabilities will arrive on the networks of the "Big 4" wireless carriers in 2014 under an historic agreement reached today between NENA - The 9-1-1 Association, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, and the Association for Public-Safety Communications Officials International (APCO).

"Big 4" Wireless Carriers Will Deploy Text-to-9-1-1 Capabilities on their Networks in 2014 - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee

Wireless communications carriers agree to ramp up text-to-911 efforts | Government Security News

Nationwide Wireless Carriers Agree to Deploy Text-to-911 Capabilities | Communications content from Fire Chief
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012, 1:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Good! It needed to happen long before now.

n9zas
Old 12-10-2012, 2:02 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Good! It needed to happen long before now.

n9zas
I agree. This is going to be a very good tool for 911 operators and everyone. I'm sure it will save many lives
Old 12-10-2012, 2:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkaczor View Post
I agree. This is going to be a very good tool for 911 operators and everyone. I'm sure it will save many lives
True. I can think of many instances where texting would be more advantageous that speaking to the t.c.

n9zas
Old 12-10-2012, 2:11 PM
Hybrid Dispatcher
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

It will have its good and bad all around. With text abbreviations and misspelled words that will pose a problem for dispatchers. Texting crucial information will be great. It doenst need to be abused like calling 911 is so often for non-emergencies.

There needs to be more public awareness on what is a true emergency and what isnt.

Another key thing I would like to see change is old unsubscribed cell phones only calling 911. That is a big problem with people buying new phones and giving their old phones to the kids. When one of those phones calls 911 it doesnt show a valid # or any information for that matter, just the cell company and tower the call is coming from. Big issue there. Take the batteries out if you are going to let kids play with those old phones please. It just ties up 911 lines for people needing help.
Motorola GP338+ VHF

KJ4ZDF

"Its better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep"
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012, 2:21 PM

There are some issues that will need to be addressed:

Text Messaging is a "best effort" system. There is no guarantee that your text will reach it's destination. You basically text in the blind and hope it gets where it's going. It almost always does, but with texting you don't always know for sure if and when your message arrives.

There isn't a means to make sure your texts arrive at the PSAP in the right order. Messages arriving out of order will cause confusion.

Multiple people sending text messages to 911 for a large disaster will create a big backlog of messages that will need to be dealt with. What happens if one of those in amongst the hundreds of other ones is for a medical call at a different location? Is that one going to get missed?

911 dispatch centers are already under funded and under staffed. Expecting dispatchers to take on additional duties to weed through the messages on top of the phone calls, radio calls, record keeping and everything else is going to create some issues. Government keeps raiding the 911 coffers and making things worse.

I'm not against this, I just know this isn't going to be a cheap and easy solution. I'd still rather have a direct voice conversation with a dispatcher. I can agree that texting has it place in modern society, but I'm concerned about people relying on it.
Let's hope they work all that out before it goes live.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
911 dispatch centers are already under funded and under staffed. Expecting dispatchers to take on additional duties to weed through the messages on top of the phone calls, radio calls, record keeping and everything else is going to create some issues.
Sounds exactly like an argument that could have been made when cellular phones became popular. Or when payphones started cropping up on street corners.

"How are we going to handle additional duties?"

Adapt or die, I would think.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Command30 View Post
Sounds exactly like an argument that could have been made when cellular phones became popular. Or when payphones started cropping up on street corners.

Exactly, but it will take time and training. This needs to happen, just saying it isn't going to be easy and flawless. Controlling expectations and being realistic about how this will work is more important than the whizz-bang announcements.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

You would think? Try doing the job for a few hours then think.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012, 3:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsu View Post
You would think? Try doing the job for a few hours then think.

Been in the the shoes of a t.c. before and the incoming call whether it be voice or text is only as understood as the caller makes it. Drama queens and gang trainees from the "hood" texting 911 PSAP's with their culture-laden texts are only going to be one more issue to train for among the myriad of other dysfunctional crap that comes in. But the calls which are truly emergencies that can be cleared from reliable voice or text calls will make the technology worthwhile!

n9zas
Old 12-11-2012, 6:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Right-o, I'm referring to the additional duties part...I am not only the PD dispatcher but now I am expected to listen to sheriff, fire, EMS, answer the phone and anything else my officers could possibly come up with. Every year something new is added to the workload with less people and for the near future, less pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-11-2012, 7:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsu View Post
Right-o, I'm referring to the additional duties part...I am not only the PD dispatcher but now I am expected to listen to sheriff, fire, EMS, answer the phone and anything else my officers could possibly come up with. Every year something new is added to the workload with less people and for the near future, less pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Gotcha, tell them to make their own coffee tho...

n9zas
Old 12-11-2012, 7:18 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

Many agencies STILL have not taken on the additional duties of taking primary Cellular 911 calls for their jurisdiction, including those that cover an area of 500,000+ people. In Sacramento, both Sac PD and Sac Sheriff still receive 911 Cell transfers from the CHP Comm Ctr, or other smaller agencies who happen to get the calls off towers in their jurisdiction. Two things are hindering those agencies from receiving calls directly; a much needed upgrade in technology (911 PSAP equipment) and staffing. Sac PD is currently down staffed by at LEAST 40 dispatchers. Lack of updated technology and staffing levels are an issue in many areas, Sac is just one example in CA.

There still needs to be a lot done across the US when it comes to PSAPs before 911 texting will work on an operational level at agencies, not to mention the need to educate the public. I still take 911 calls at work from people reporting non emergencies on a daily basis. (i.e. Barking dog, loud music, or mistaking 911 or 411!)
Old 12-11-2012, 7:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Gotcha, tell them to make their own coffee tho...

n9zas
I know that's right!

Old 12-11-2012, 8:11 AM

Cause providing EMD will work oh so well via text message.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk
Sponsored links