CHATTANOOGA, TN: Tennessee Highway Patrol Announces New Statewide Interoperable Commu

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
CHATTANOOGA --- Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons and Tennessee Highway Patrol (THP) Colonel Tracy Trott today announced the Chattanooga THP district is the first to use a new statewide interoperable communications system. Motorola Solutions is upgrading each district in the state to the new system that will enhance the efficiency, safety and service of troopers and the public. The Motorola ASTRO® 25 radio system will ultimately allow troopers across the state, no matter where they are located, to clearly speak to each other with the push of a button.

https://news.tn.gov/node/10742

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hmm we have known about TroopNET for how long now?? And now that there are 2 sites officially online they brag about it? Oh well! Surprised thety aren't bragging about "Hey THP will be fully encrypted so you won't hear them ever again!" I mean ASTRO-25 systems have a LOT more than just the EMERGENCY Button *Standard on almost ALL Public Safety systems* GPS,.. *Standard on almost all modern systems*... Eh just leave it to the media bites to just mention dumb tidbits.

Last edited by a moderator:

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
The presss release shows marks of being ghostwritten by Motorola. The language about interoperability suggest there was none before this $$,state-of-the-art system. Remember mutual aid channels? The National LE emergency channel? County radios in THP vehicles?
Now my question: Will Knoxville and Fall Branch patch to low band for a limited time? If not, my faithful Syntor X9000 will join the ex-THP Micor and Mastr II on my shelf of boat anchors.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
From what we have seen thusfar with the one THP district that has switched, NO they will not be using anything other than the TRS.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The presss release shows marks of being ghostwritten by Motorola. The language about interoperability suggest there was none before this $$,state-of-the-art system. Remember mutual aid channels? The National LE emergency channel? County radios in THP vehicles?
Now my question: Will Knoxville and Fall Branch patch to low band for a limited time? If not, my faithful Syntor X9000 will join the ex-THP Micor and Mastr II on my shelf of boat anchors.

I was told by 'someone who knows someone' that THP will keep the low-band system up until they are for sure the new system is fully reliable.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I was told by 'someone who knows someone' that THP will keep the low-band system up until they are for sure the new system is fully reliable.

I imagine that would be the case. Same will hold true for NC. There are a few other states that did the same thing and continue to do so for redundancy purposes. The only question is whether or not the comms will be patched across systems or only used in situations with no coverage or in the event of a failure.

ButchGone

The new THP Chevy Impalas I've seen around Chattanooga do not have the big low-band whips. If this is how new cruisers are coming in service then bye bye 42/45mhz soon.
BG..

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The new THP Chevy Impalas I've seen around Chattanooga do not have the big low-band whips. If this is how new cruisers are coming in service then bye bye 42/45mhz soon.
BG..

The new Impalas I have seen around Murfreesboro don't have the whips either, like the old Fords did, but they do have a low-band loading coil with a whip in the center of the trunk, (I think they are Larsen antennas), because they are still on low-band in District 3, and they also have what appears to be a Sti-Co multi-function antenna on one side of the rear deck -- looks like a "slanted L".

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
In BOTH districts where they are now on the TRS, they DO NOT USE VHF AT ALL. They shut off the VHF and use the TRS exclusively.

ButchGone

The THP's sites are 700/800 and VHFhi band. The western portion of THP District uses P25 Phase 2 VHF trunking, west of Monteagle Mnt going toward Nashville.
BG..

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
We were referring to the VHF Conventional. They quit using it completely and only run TRS. If the TRS has issues they may go back to VHF Conventional until the issues are resolved.... But as for Dual use like other states did, not happening.

KV4BL

So, the great state of Tennessee now joins many others in signing on to the glorified cellular network for Public Safety, eh?

Also, reference the article linked in the op, when did SC become a border state with TN?

Status
Not open for further replies.