Las Vegas, NV Inks Contract w/Motorola Solutions for Long-Anticipated Interop System

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
That's good to hear they are going to fix their radio system problems by removing the system that hasn't worked for them.

Now we can sit back here and listen to the anti Motorola crew to start complaining :)

rapidcharger

Why is this such a project for las vegas??? A relatively small geographic area that is flat as a pancake, surrounded by mountains and has lots of high rise buildings that would make perfect repeater or receiver sites? How could it get any easier?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Why is this such a project for las vegas??? A relatively small geographic area that is flat as a pancake, surrounded by mountains and has lots of high rise buildings that would make perfect repeater or receiver sites? How could it get any easier?

Maybe its not really about radios. Maybe its about moving $$ from one pocket to another pocket.

Lets hope they dont forget to license the radio freqs this time. (What was that all about anyhow?)

bfperez

Premium Subscriber

They actually have to cover the whole county, which they already do with the sites they use for OpenSky.
Given that SNACC has countywide (or close) coverage, it's a real shame and waste of money that Metro didn't join and expand SNACC and share costs with them OR build out the SNACC P25 system and again share costs.

They DO have towers and microwave equipment on quite a few high buildings according to this document, quite a few more:
http://www.lvmpd.com/Portals/0/news...0MHz_P25_PhaseIITrunkRadioSystemAgreement.pdf

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Lets hope they dont forget to license the radio freqs this time. (What was that all about anyhow?)

I thought that was NHP, who in early 2000s who also chose to build their own VHF radio system and ended up basically being forced to join NSRS because they lost their licenses on the supposed-to-be-temporary frequencies they were using.

brandon

Database Admin
Will we be able to listen to them on the Police Scanners again>? I have a Radio Shack Pro 164 scanner..

Pro-164 will not work. I would hold off buying a digital scanner until more is known about the system. It seems most of the new 700 Mhz P25 Phase 2 TRS are fully encrypted these days.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.746 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I believe that the LV system will be Phase 2. So options are limited to the PSR800.

k5bls

Premium Subscriber
Don't kid yourselves folks, its much cheaper and cost effective to load subscriber units with encryption when purchased than to have it added later. MOST departments have opted to encrypt the entire system except on specific channels because it is truly transparent to the end user now with P25 than it was back in the Analog days. With the advent of people adding internet listening capabilities like here on RR to mobile phone applications it truly has caught the attention of law enforcement. Gone are the days of easy and casual listening to your local fuzz. Here in Fallon, I can no longer listen to the City or County police without having an encryption key added to my portable. Like that will ever happen!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Fallon Nevada has fully encrypted all of their police channels?

For the love of chocolate covered marshmallows why??? The booming metropolis of Fallon Nevada has (wait for it) about 8500 people living in it. Hardly a threat to national security if someone living in Fallon can listen to the local PD responding to a problem with the town's lone traffic light or some such.

Ridiculous.
-AZ

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I guarantee that PD will Encrypt all of their mission cirtical or all of their talkgroups for sure. Why not, they can and will with the use of their APX 6000 and 7000 radios. Like in other postings Las Vegas PD will drink the Kool-Aid from Motorola and opt in and say wow now we can go silent and nobody can hear us anymore. Isn't that great.

Fire will probably have the capability to Encrypt but they will probably opt out because there would be no reason to encrypt and jepordize any critical communication hick-up on the system.

Hopefully within in time some genius will crack this encryption crap and use a keyloader and we will all be back in business.

Also, too with this NSA crap lately I think each cell phone should have an encryption key installed and then when we make calls then we can encrypt our conversations. Why not

Or if you cant beat em, then join em.

Status
Not open for further replies.