AP-Boston: Coming soon to a TV near you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

szron

Capture.PNG

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Laws are part of the problem. If people agree to the privacy policy, or lack thereof, that says "we will record and report your activities to advertisers", Facebook, then you don't have a right to complain. If you don't like this, then don't accept their privacy policy, and cancel your service. If enough people are outraged, and cancel, the companies will either rescind their policy or go out of business. We don't need a law, we just need common sense and the power of the people.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

rapidcharger

I was pretty sure they already did this.
I'm not sure why they're all that interested in advertising to me anyway. With the equipment they have provided to me, I skip right over the commercials. Since it's so easy not to even watch the commercials, I have to wonder why it's that important to them.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Maybe on Cable TV with a tiny cam in the cable conveter box but not with a off air reception their not !!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
ecollins, this is not talking about any sort of camera.

sc800

Well this is legislation for something that doesn't even exist yet.

But I have always believed that private industry trying to sell us things and customize ads and services are much more intrusive and a threat to our privacy then the FBI/NSA/CIA/DHS will be. At least with those agencies you have some kind of semblance of recourse at least.

The private companies don't care at all, as long as they are raking in the profits

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well this is legislation for something that doesn't even exist yet.

Are you sure? My Hopper shows me "What's Hot" based on how many people across the country are viewing shows at this time.

ecollins, this is not talking about any sort of camera.

Perhaps if you tried reading the article.....

"technologies that would allow digital video recorders to record the personal activities of consumers as they watch television"

Whats sad is that Tin Hat websites were telling this story 8-10 years ago..

the overwhelming response was Go get Yer Tin Foil..(not here on RR,but in general)

Now it seems that they were correct.Curious how that works out.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Now it seems that they were correct.Curious how that works out.

No, they aren't correct. If this bill really is aimed at "cameras in your TV set" then it's whacked. I'd love to see the text of it.

Keep your tin foil hat nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.