Lancaster, PA - Lancaster County's new emergency radio system passes noise tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
its a mixed system.. No brand allegiance..AIRINC is the prime contractor on it.. TAIT is the backbone as I understand it..

CM1

Premium Subscriber
"It will have 95 percent coverage 95 percent of the time."

Not sure that's a real "selling feature" - that's = to about 1 hour a day it wont work! LOL!

box23

"It will have 95 percent coverage 95 percent of the time."

Not sure that's a real "selling feature" - that's = to about 1 hour a day it wont work! LOL!

That's on par with most systems. The really good ones are sold for 98%. But it's missing an additional qualifier: mobile coverage, portable coverage, or portable in-building coverage.

Most are usually sold for 95% mobile coverage, 95% of the time, but the majority of users have portables and want to use them in buildings, hence the numerous radio problem stories seen here everyday.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
They are 95% Portable in Building.. Same as York and Dauphin...

NodrogCop

dcr is correct - looking for 95% coverage in building. So far, testing looks good. How it goes six months from now is something else.

This is an ARINC system, with Motorola, Thales, Tait, and BK having radios approved by the county to be on the system. It's my understanding most PD's are going BK. I can't say for sure for others, but it seems Moto is taking the fire side and I don't know about EMS.

Let's hope it works well.

Gordon

pete7919

Anybody have first hand info on the fire dispatch paging side? It's currently low band voice.

I'm rooting very hard for this system to work, and work well. It's about time that there's a proof-of-concept system out there that can do trunked P25 in an open, competitive environment as was envisioned, and not only be single manufacturer-centric.

The only bug here is the situation with T-Band and what's going to happen in the near future. So far, the only strategy seems to be wait until there's adequate churn in Congress to tell them what a bad idea auctioning T-Band was, considering broadcasters weren't mentioned and there's no relief for business/industrial licensees. I'm not really sure I call that a strategy, but...

95/95 is a generally accepted coverage level. 95% usually equates to a delivered audio quality of 3, which is qualitatively described as "Speech understandable with slight effort. Occasional repetition required due to noise/distortion."

Sure, they could have gone for a higher DAQ, like 4.0, but system costs would rise exponentially. These systems tend to be engineered, meaning the designer is told exactly where the coverage should likely be. A wise public manager would look at call volume versus risk assessment when specifying these locations. The engineer then chooses antennas and radiation patterns to put signal where it's needed and take from where it's not. Generally this kind of thing is great for responders who work in the area and not so great for scanner listeners from out of the area.

Here's a great document to give readers an insight about how coverage validation testing works. It's not like spinning a roulette wheel. Spin the wheel and, oops, you land on zero. You're in a dead spot. It's not that way. This one was performed by CTA. I have no affiliation with them. http://www.co.orange.nc.us/occlerks/1111171a2.pdf

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
York County is an "Open" P25 system.. It does have a Harris infrastructure but is True P25 and can support all makes of P25 subscriber units..It currently has Harris, Motorola, Johnson and Kenwood radios on the system with no real operational issues..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
York County is an "Open" P25 system.. It does have a Harris infrastructure but is True P25 and can support all makes of P25 subscriber units..It currently has Harris, Motorola, Johnson and Kenwood radios on the system with no real operational issues..

Huh, news to me. I know plenty of folks with Motorola subscriber radios having issues on Harris systems. XTS series don't play well at all because of the screwy way Harris validates the system ID.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Harris validates the by the P25 standard.. No separate ESN validation as Motorola does (which negates the P25 operability).. If the Moto units are having trouble, it's not the Harris UAS doing it..We have MANY XTS 2500's on the York system with no issues with registering..

Abb0

Premium Subscriber
I believe the Harris systems (old M/A-Com) have a different SysID on a per channel basis which screws some radios up.

gesucks

Harris validates the by the P25 standard.. No separate ESN validation as Motorola does (which negates the P25 operability).. If the Moto units are having trouble, it's not the Harris UAS doing it..We have MANY XTS 2500's on the York system with no issues with registering..

Please provide reference or point to anything to back up your statement. None of the manfactures of P25 equipment including Motorola use ESN for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.