Embarrassing! US Marshals lose track of encrypted radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
any FIPS-41 compliant device has tamper proof encryption hardware, so unless the USMS is stupid and never re-keys their radios, the radios are useless if found for monitoring any encrypted communications. Not to downplay the even increasing incompetence of our bloated government that burns through money like it's tissue paper, but I would hardly be concerned about communications security ASSuming they are using AES-256, then a simple re-key will ensure security (which should be done often anyway).

If they are missing, they've already been sold on brokenstolenradios.com aka Ebay.

Squad10

Maybe the radios had a Chicago "connection" lol

Federal law enforcement sources within the Marshal's office in Chicago tell the I-Team that office finances were such a mess, that Washington sent in a fixer to handle things for five months.

U.S. Marshal Darryl McPherson runs the Chicago office. He began his career as a deputy in 1997 and was promoted to senior inspector in 2007; served on the Great Lakes Fugitive Task Force and was the lead deputy protecting Judge Joan Lefko after her husband and mother were murdered. With Senator Dick Durbin's recommendation, McPherson was appointed U.S. Marshal here by President Obama in 2010.

I-Team: Feds investigate U.S. Marshal's Chicago office finances | abc7chicago.com

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The article regarding this in fox news states the error is actually closer to 4000 pieces of equipment! Oops!

n9zas

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have met Darryl.. My shop does their cars. I did his car personally Nice guy.. But not a manager. He is connected that is why he is in his position.

I doubt the radios are on ebay. No one has listed 2000 V/U APX's as of late

m-gerty

They're probably just misplaced...like the billions of rounds of ammunition the government bought and can't account for...

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Let's see, while the government is encrypting what they have to say, they snoop on every little thing we communicate. By losing these radios, this is called "karma".

a388sig2

If they find the radios, maybe they'll find the weapons that made their way to Mexico, too!

Why even waste time finding them, or getting the books in order? Just order new ones, it's only tax payer money, what do they care?

kg9nn

If the Office of the Inspector General is anything like the Internal Audit department I deal with, then I wouldn't be too worried. For example, IA came down one day with a list of 100 random serial numbers and said "show us these asset tags." I tried to explain radios are field deployed, not sitting under my desk but they didn't care. The wrote a report saying we lacked internal controls and failed to account for 100% of our inventory.

This triggered a comprehensive audit and after wasting nearly 170 labor hours they issued a follow-up report about how awesome and good they are at protecting corporate assets and, in a tiny footnote, a remark that the previous audit "may have had methodological issues which preclude its use a definitive finding of fact." But they "partnered" with us to deploy best practices to address "potential" shortcomings.

Heck, I had an auditor want me to open up a production router running Internet for about 5,000 clients to show them a serial number on a board inside to document we were fully utilizing all assets. They really didn't care that it would knock down 5,000 clients and trigger an SLA credit to them of $10,000.

Now that I have my flame retardant pants on, I will point out may of the previous comments have a political bend to them. Folks, the people who work in these jobs are regular peons like you and I and they really don't have a political agenda to push. Whether you believe it or not, really do want to do a good job as a matter of personal pride.

ecps92

Common Sense on a Hobby List :cool: Excellent write-up

If the Office of the Inspector General is anything like the Internal Audit department I deal with, then I wouldn't be too worried. For example, IA came down one day with a list of 100 random serial numbers and said "show us these asset tags." I tried to explain radios are field deployed, not sitting under my desk but they didn't care. The wrote a report saying we lacked internal controls and failed to account for 100% of our inventory.

This triggered a comprehensive audit and after wasting nearly 170 labor hours they issued a follow-up report about how awesome and good they are at protecting corporate assets and, in a tiny footnote, a remark that the previous audit "may have had methodological issues which preclude its use a definitive finding of fact." But they "partnered" with us to deploy best practices to address "potential" shortcomings.

Heck, I had an auditor want me to open up a production router running Internet for about 5,000 clients to show them a serial number on a board inside to document we were fully utilizing all assets. They really didn't care that it would knock down 5,000 clients and trigger an SLA credit to them of $10,000.

Now that I have my flame retardant pants on, I will point out may of the previous comments have a political bend to them. Folks, the people who work in these jobs are regular peons like you and I and they really don't have a political agenda to push. Whether you believe it or not, really do want to do a good job as a matter of personal pride.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
IY

The Inspector Generals Office has the responsibilty for oversight, and to
prevent fraud and waste. They assign the blame. Kind of like a organization, or
corporate ombudsman. And there most definately is not supposed to be any retalliation against the employee(s)......retalliation in any shape or form,
for reporting descrepancys, fraud, waste, or abuse.

I work for a defense contractor. Our " radio guy " some time ago told me that the
vice-president of operations only wanted Motorolla radios in the industrial complex, after I suggested
a cheaper and better way to go......which at the time was Vertex. As I undenstand they
elected to go the most expensive route, like they have so many times.

From a safety standpoint, we need new vehicles. Hopefully my dream of
equipping them with dual band mobile radios comes true, but office people
and bean counters never listen to us folks in the field. We are a UHF / VHF area,
but again......bean counters dont pay attention.

The Marshals cannot find missing radios. I would say it is a accountability
error.

FF-MEDIC !!!!!

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Perhaps simply "unaccounted for" - however, if someone doesn't make an issue of the government's (our) property being "unaccounted for", it will disappear.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, let's say they're trying to make the point that accountability is important and next time maybe they'll be able to show where things are (or, they are simply gone never to be seen again).

Sounds like there was no tracking system in place whatsoever.

2,200 or 4,000 -- I wonder what the total number of issued devices is? Is the missing number 10%? 50% more?

Last edited:

DrWhoVa

I'm personally thinking something more nefarious. There are approximately 3925 deputies and investigators. 2k radios are now missing? Sorry that's not misplacement or poor oversight. They went to someone..when you figure that out, then you'll have the puzzle put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.